Renoise/Trackers
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
warehau5mafi
Ghostly
warehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 3209387
Renoise/Trackers

Hi Gents,

There hasn't been a thread on Renoise or anything tracker related for a while so thought I would try to open up some discussion based loosely around the theme of tracking whether that be Renoise specific tips n' tricks or just some reminiscence and anecdotes from the old amiga days of OctaMED and Protracker et al.

Also, if anyone has any questions related to tracking, ask away, as there are not that many of us still using trackers and so, this thread could be a good place to collate all of our topics and knowledge. Maybe we could all learn something new.

OK, I will get us started by explaining a little about how I work in Renoise.

I use almost exclusively samples from my records and cassettes as well as some from radio, films, TV and field recordings etc. The only exceptions to this really are some sounds I build in 3rd party software and then export as audio into renoise to FSU.

Now for me. The biggest advantage of Renoise 2.8 over old trackers is the ability to sample large segments of audio as well as re-sampling and the native DSP effects included in the program. I usually begin by building a break from single hits until I have a decent 4/8/16/32 bar loop with some nice variation before re-sampling it and then using the 0Sxy commands and re-trigs etc to reach the desired effect.

I rinse and repeat this with each element of my track until I have a few different patterns ready to be sequenced. It is then just a case of editing patterns and doing some automation until I have a full track (that easy! Yeah right). before exporting to Logic to mix down.

Anyway, as you can probably tell if you have managed to read this far, I am truly feeling the love for trackers. They are not for everyone but if you understand them and find a pleasing workflow, you may find that your productivity can increase significantly.

Your turn... GO!

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Oh, the "audio engine" card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Real men glitch manually!
warehau5mafi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45979498
Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,102 Posts
Re: Renoise/Trackers

i've read trackers being used as oscillators by cranking up the bpm and inputting a time-stretched/processed sample

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
warehau5mafi
Ghostly
warehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MC
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
i've read trackers being used as oscillators by cranking up the bpm and inputting a time-stretched/processed sample
Great tip!

there is no need to do that with renoise though as you can simply loop up single cycle waves/samples or draw your own waves to achieve the same thing.

------------------
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269486708
Thanked 3,262 Times in 2,142 Posts

For some reason I stopped using Renoise with 2.8.
The change in the pattern commands put me off and more or less at the same time I got Maschine.
On Youtube there are still 2 tutorials I made on Renoise...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
warehau5mafi
Ghostly
Manchester

Quote:
For some reason I stopped using Renoise with 2.8.
The change in the pattern commands put me off and more or less at the same time I got Maschine.
On Youtube there are still 2 tutorials I made on Renoise...

Yeah your tutorial on the sample effect commands is top notch auto. Shows exactly what Renoise is good at, Sample manipulation. I can totally understand why you would stop using Renoise in favour of Maschine and Live etc as the change in commands put me off for a little while but I just found that I write better, more interesting music in trackers than a linear DAW. Whatever works for each individual though yeah.

------------------
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Byrium
IDMf's latest spammer
Byrium will become famous soon enough
Yorkshire
MC Status: 60

I would love to talk trackers. New here, been using renoise for a couple of years since coming from an Amiga tracker background. Once I have posted enough to link things, I will up a few tips as well as my favorite sources for grabbing some dirty lo-fi samples.
Byrium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Byrium
warehau5mafi (09-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Lyncaster
Soundscaper
Lyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MC
West Side Nigga
MC Status: 3794842

People think its complicated, but I(a 15 yo) figured it out in 10 minutes. It offers the most bang for buck ever IMO and it can be as simple or as complicated as you want!

------------------
Llamas are getting on my tits
:banalama:

Lyncaster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Byrium
IDMf's latest spammer
Yorkshire

I agree with you Lyncaster, trackers are as simple or complex as the user makes them.

The biggest plus of using trackers for composition is, in my opinion, the speed at which we can create and edit patterns with an unrivaled accuracy. Also, I really like the way that the Renoise sample editor functions and the way that the application as a whole just WORKS.

I hated using some of the more 'luxury' DAWs on the market as I always found them clunky, slow, and difficult to navigate. I have yet to find anything as CPU freindly and stable as Renoise. Different strokes for different folks and all that though.

Byrium
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Onyxmizer
Analog Lurker
Onyxmizer has a spectacular aura aboutOnyxmizer has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Only tracker I ever used was NitroTracker for the DS. I learned other stuff since then, but I do miss it even though it was VERY limited. It could only read .wav samples which meant that the ram could only hold so many at a time. For drums it was fine, and you could even made synth with the loop features and envelopes (only had a volume envelopes available). You had a key board that would play the samples and there was no time stretching, so if you wanted a loop to work you had to tweek the BPM and pitch to make it loop right. Then it's playback wasn't all that stellar you sounded eroded. They never updated it for 3ds or the ability to use slot 2 ram.

It was the best of times.

I would love to pick up renoise though, but i'm soo used to working in the arrange view of ableton for chopping up samples n such. any recommended tutorials?

------------------
ambient set
Onyxmizer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Byrium
IDMf's latest spammer
Yorkshire

The Renoise demo is free and not time limited, the only restrictions I am aware of is that you cannot render samples or projects and a dialog appears every now and then asking you to register or continue using the demo. Definitely worth checking out to see if you like it. There is a series on Youtube on the LearnRenoise channel that covers all the basics and some of the pattern effect commands.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Lyncaster
Soundscaper
Lyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MC
West Side Nigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrium View Post
I agree with you Lyncaster, trackers are as simple or complex as the user makes them.

The biggest plus of using trackers for composition is, in my opinion, the speed at which we can create and edit patterns with an unrivaled accuracy. Also, I really like the way that the Renoise sample editor functions and the way that the application as a whole just WORKS.

I hated using some of the more 'luxury' DAWs on the market as I always found them clunky, slow, and difficult to navigate. I have yet to find anything as CPU freindly and stable as Renoise. Different strokes for different folks and all that though.

Byrium
I have live lite, and can't figure out how to play a sample across the keyboard xD
I also started on FL, and I much prefer Renoise/trackers compared to FL's piano mode. really to me the work flow is really similar though, but renoise is more organize. And I figure new stuff out every day.

OH AND DID I MENTION RENDERING VSTS TO A SAMPLE WITH ONE MOUSE CLICKS

------------------

Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Lyncaster
Soundscaper
West Side Nigga

Not to mention that I can't find anything more suited for both repititive music and "non repetitive" music :p

------------------

Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Byrium
IDMf's latest spammer
Yorkshire

Ah yes! Plugin grabber! I haven't really used it much as I am not really a user of VSTis but for those using softsynths, it is a great feature I would expect.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrium View Post

The biggest plus of using trackers for composition is, in my opinion, the speed at which we can create and edit patterns with an unrivaled accuracy.
Fuckin this. It's simply amazing how fast you can work with a tracker interface.

I'm an OpenMPT user myself, got used to its interface pretty quickly and I always manage to get something done when I open it. I've also used Renoise's demo version, and I liked the way it handled stuff a lot, specially when it comes to sample manipulation and FSU, hahah
ndwella is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
VIVIsect
Soundwave Mangler
VIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud of
Novi Sad
MC Status: 1215

I still cry for a tracker with scream / impulse like interface and somewhat modern engine. I like renoise, and always try to make it look like sc / it, dont know why, makes me much more comfortable...
VIVIsect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
Scrittah
Soundscaper
Scrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MC
New Hampshire
MC Status: 515244

I just started using OpenMPT a few days ago for drum programming, and I'm already blown away at how much easier it is to make crazy drum lines (compared to FL Studio). I'm still reliant on a Piano Roll interface for melodic stuff (way easier to visualize harmonies and multiple instruments for me), but it's definitely better for rhythmic stuff.

Actually, I've got a question for anyone who does use OpenMPT - is there a command to pitch shift a single note? Right now, I have all my drums on one instrument (each octave is a different sliced up break) for ease of use, but I can't find a way to pitch my snares up and down. Do I have to rely on an external plugin, or am I missing something really simple?

------------------
Scrittah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #17
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIsect View Post
I still cry for a tracker with scream / impulse like interface and somewhat modern engine. I like renoise, and always try to make it look like sc / it, dont know why, makes me much more comfortable...
Have you tried Schism Tracker? Has a pretty IT-ish interface and somewhat modern engine (based on Modplug's). Doesn't do some of the fancy things Renoise does, tho.
ndwella is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 249551787
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Trackers are just plain fun.

I started mucking around with Open MPT formerly ModPlug tracker and tracking is now my preferred method of sound manipulation.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts

I started out on trackers in my early teens and eventually got into Cubase a few years later when I studied music. These days I mainly use Buzz (awesome free modular tracker, still) and Cubase. They have different workflows, different features, overview, ways of mangling sound, etc. I know them so well. Maybe that is why I'm one of these guys that haven't befriended Ableton Live (or I'm just getting old).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Onyxmizer
Analog Lurker
Onyxmizer has a spectacular aura aboutOnyxmizer has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I made a thread about this, but does anyone have opinions on reViSiT?

Advertisements

------------------
ambient set
Onyxmizer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote