BB80-Open Genre
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles Beat Battle's happen here.

Old 18-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 11760
BB80-Open Genre

Rules:

1. MAKE YOUR OWN RULE: Invent a creative challenge for yourself that would actually be useful to you in someway. It might have to do with something you want to learn or delve deeper into or want to challenge yourself with or just induce a creative limitation for yourself. For example I might limit myself to Waves plugins to finally explore what all of them do or I might want to learn more counterpoint and challenge myself to use that. * Mention what your challenge was along with your sub.
  2. Use a flanger somewhere in your track.
  3. Include a minimum 10sec passage of a non-percussive instrument playing by itself in the track. It can't be in the very beginning or the very end of your track.

* Additional voice samples are allowed.

Samples:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE DEADLINES
Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting this *Sunday
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 11 days later( *Thursday)

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (*Saturday).

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (*Sunday), to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

THE TIMES ARE CHAOTIC AND CHAOS IS GOOD!

All times are UTC

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.
Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Advertisements

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 15460
Re: BB80-Open Genre

Cool cool! Thanks for putting this up! Every new bb takes us closer to 100

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
HalfTrek
Granular Poster
HalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

Good! Every new BB takes me closer to actually sending a track in
HalfTrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to HalfTrek
mnkvolcno (18-06-2018)
Old 20-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1844877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
Cool cool! Thanks for putting this up! Every new bb takes us closer to 100
Sent you a PM mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfTrek View Post
Good! Every new BB takes me closer to actually sending a track in
This is what its all about

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1844877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
Rules:
[*]MAKE YOUR OWN RULE: Invent a creative challenge for yourself that would actually be useful to you in someway. It might have to do with something you want to learn or delve deeper into or want to challenge yourself with or just induce a creative limitation for yourself. For example I might limit myself to Waves plugins to finally explore what all of them do or I might want to learn more counterpoint and challenge myself to use that. * Mention what your challenge was along with your sub.

Ooh Im thinking jingle time...been wanting to do a jingle beat battle for a while, this may fit the bill

30 sec earworm jingle with a 10 sec break - could work...need to get my second IDM50 sub in before deadline, but will find time for this. Then my goal of actually finishing a production that could be classified as an EP/Album and see if it meets the merits of an IDM release....hahahhaha

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #6
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 34360

lmao at the new trend in sample packs
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Tsachi (01-07-2018)
Old 20-06-2018, 05:51 AM   #7
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11490604
Thanked 1,063 Times in 780 Posts

I have an idea for this one, one I've wanted to try and am overdue for partaking:

All sound editing (post sample prep), manipulation, and generation in Max/MSP.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Tsachi (21-06-2018)
Old 21-06-2018, 03:31 AM   #8
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC

That is a killer rule! My rule is "make the whole track on a fairlight CMI"

------------------
Old 21-06-2018, 04:21 AM   #9
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

My rule is that I’m only using one instance of eq plus one other effect unit on ever mixer channel. Just trying to use less stuff in general. Rule doesn’t apply to mastering tho
Old 21-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
HalfTrek
Granular Poster
HalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
That is a killer rule! My rule is "make the whole track on a fairlight CMI"

Hmmm..

I guess the mods must have removed your Gofundme link..

Thanks to HalfTrek
mnkvolcno (21-06-2018)
Old 21-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfTrek View Post
Hmmm..

I guess the mods must have removed your Gofundme link..

Hey bud, you should post a track this time even if you think it’s too short and sucks etc. a. It probably doesn’t suck. b. everybody’s tracks get like 20 listens lol so I wouldn’t worry about it.

EDIT: lmao typed this on my phone and it autocorrected to “you stupid post a track”. Jesus.. not calling people names up in here

Last edited by mnkvolcno; 21-06-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Thanks to mnkvolcno
I/O_Madness (21-06-2018)
Old 21-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

If Halftrek doesn't submit we'll have to find him and rope him up to a tree while we make him listen to all our silly mixes.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 21-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
HalfTrek
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Hey bud, you should post a track this time even if you think it’s too short and sucks etc. a. It probably doesn’t suck. b. everybody’s tracks get like 20 listens lol so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Yeah you are right, I shouldn't worry to much about it. You guys just make pretty decent stuff out of it, want to not stand out too much And I never seem to be able to make something basic to build up on

Last one was just basically a 2hr slicing and making sounds session followed by two weeks of not working on it, so..yeah

But for this one I just need that prep monkey to arrive in the mail and I'll be good to go!
Old 26-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #14
Tsachi
IDMf Artist

My rule was make something in 2 hours, but that didn't work so I did 3 hours instead

------------------
Old 27-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
Iyashi Sound
Sample Destroyer
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 11410

Hello there. Sorry for being absent. I'm happy to find that the BBs are still going

Here's my attempt:

I used this challenge as "an excuse" to try building a just intonation scale, where the tonic relates to the tempo (in this case 128PBM = 273,066 Hz.).

I then manually did the calculations for various scale intervals I wanted to use, and tuned every tonal part in the track according to the results (using Ableton's built in "Tuner" plug in).

After a while I realised it wasn't a particularly smart way of doing it, so I ended up buying TAL's sampler instrument to make it easier for myself (it allows you to load .tun files). The TAL sampler is not used on this track, though - but it's a very nice sounding piece of equipment indeed!

Iyashi Sound is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
bu.re_
Minor Glitch
bu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to behold
los angeles
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Hello there. Sorry for being absent. I'm happy to find that the BBs are still going

Here's my attempt:

I used this challenge as "an excuse" to try building a just intonation scale, where the tonic relates to the tempo (in this case 128PBM = 273,066 Hz.).

I then manually did the calculations for various scale intervals I wanted to use, and tuned every tonal part in the track according to the results (using Ableton's built in "Tuner" plug in).

After a while I realised it wasn't a particularly smart way of doing it, so I ended up buying TAL's sampler instrument to make it easier for myself (it allows you to load .tun files). The TAL sampler is not used on this track, though - but it's a very nice sounding piece of equipment indeed!

i really feel this! it's so appropriately minimal and moves really well. using the tonic based on the tempo is an interesting approach, as well.
bu.re_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bu.re_
Iyashi Sound (27-06-2018)
Old 28-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #17
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Well i really didn't finish this. it was just starting to shape up into something and i ran out of time and just threw a bunch of crap together. too much time playing with sounds. oh well.
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Iyashi Sound (29-06-2018)
Old 29-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #18
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 11760

Thanks for your submissions voting is open!

Tsachi

Iyashi

mnkvolcno

Unfortunately I didn't have time to make anything which is too bad because I was into the samples.

------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (30-06-2018)
Old 30-06-2018, 03:36 AM   #19
Tsachi
IDMf Artist

I will vote for Iyashi

------------------
Old 30-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #20
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Iyashi - I like the weird, strange dubby echo with the flanger on top. Different from normal dub, but very nice; chill. Cool groovey vibes.

mnkvolcno - i like the boxy kinda boomy synth along with the off beat sorta kick. Gels very nicely. Very cool groove.

Tsachi - This reminds me a bit of newer Autechre, like Exai and their NTS Sessions material.

My vote is going to Tsachi. Like the crazy, tech goodness with the pads. Takes me to some kind of post-apocalyptic wasteland where machines are still advanced and used regularly, tho the rest of culture has collapsed. Cool stuff!

Advertisements

------------------

I/O_Madness