Guitar Pedal Question
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 13-02-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Wardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the rough
Massachusetts
MC Status: 310
Guitar Pedal Question

So I recently got a Behringer fuzz pedal. Now I know most will say Behringer isn't a very good brand, but it was new and under $20 so I figured "why not?" However, it doesn't appear to work fully. My clean signal plays through the pedal, but it doesn't light up and turn on. Before you again may jump to the conclusion about Behringer's brand status, lemme just say that I was uhhh... being stupid, and plugged in a different adapter than the standard pedal adapter. This wouldn't have like, "fried" anything internal, would it? And if so, how would I know? My only other guess as to why it's not working might be because it makes a rather loud clicking noise when I push down on the pedal, maybe because the metal spring inside is loose? (Like, it fits perfectly into the slot, but it's not actually attached - I can take the spring out).

Again, for the price, it's not a huge loss, but yeah. Maybe it's just a matter of buying another, proper adapter.

Advertisements

------------------
Wardruna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts
Re: Guitar Pedal Question

If it's pushing more voltage than the parts in the pedal are rated for, then yeah it can fry a part or two.

Try it with a battery? For 20 bones, you could just open the thing up and see if anything is physically burned out. If it's a capacitor or a resistor, those are usually pretty easy to find and solder in there.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

What are the specifications of the wrong adapter? Check the voltage and the polarity (center negative or positive) and check what your pedal demands.
It might be you fried it if the polarity was switched, not sure how sensitive does things are. Putting a lower voltage than required shouldn't damage it (that's the same as using empty batteries).

Guitar pedals usually make a pretty loud clicking noise so that could be normal.
With the spring you mean the thing that holds up the button? That one can also be removed usually.

edit: this is the sign you are looking for if you want to check the polarity btw

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardruna View Post
So I recently got a Behringer fuzz pedal.
Well there's yr problem.

Seriously, though, Behringer use shitty components, and whilst most bits of gear will have some way to protect itself from user stupidity, these don't (Apart from the higher end stuff).

You can debug it easy enough by making a simple "Multimeter" out of an LED and a resistor. Does the pedal work with a battery still? Behringer stuff is all SMD, so good luck fixing it yourself.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #5
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Wardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the rough
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
If it's pushing more voltage than the parts in the pedal are rated for, then yeah it can fry a part or two.

Try it with a battery? For 20 bones, you could just open the thing up and see if anything is physically burned out. If it's a capacitor or a resistor, those are usually pretty easy to find and solder in there.
Well, the clean signal comes through with a battery, but the pedal doesn't seem to turn on the effects.

------------------
Old 13-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Well what does the adapter you used say about it's voltage? If you plugged say a 12 volt adatper into a 9 volt pedal, it's probably goodbye pedal, and also what Inertia mentioned about polarity would affect it having sound or not (though I'm not sure that would really fry something, but it's possible)...my best guess is that a cap or resistor burned out, but really instead of throwing it out or putting it into a closet for the rest of your life, try to open it up and see what the issue is if you can, and go from there.
Old 13-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Massachusetts

Quote:
Well what does the adapter you used say about it's voltage? If you plugged say a 12 volt adatper into a 9 volt pedal, it's probably goodbye pedal, and also what Inertia mentioned about polarity would affect it having sound or not (though I'm not sure that would really fry something, but it's possible)...my best guess is that a cap or resistor burned out, but really instead of throwing it out or putting it into a closet for the rest of your life, try to open it up and see what the issue is if you can, and go from there.
Yeah, I probably fucked myself over... The thing is, I don't really know how to fix this sort of thing supposing it's a "goodbye" pedal. I ordered some
new [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
adapters on
Amazon [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, but I'm guessing they won't solve the issue?

------------------
Thanks to Wardruna
Numerical (13-02-2014)
Old 13-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010

One thing to keep in mind, a couple of Behringer pedals I've bought have come pre-broken. You mightn't even have bollocksed it, it may already have been. Best thing you can do is throw it at your enemy and move on.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

Yeah I'm with the Behringer bashing gang unfortunately ... I've used different adaptaters for stuff it never fucked them up like that ...

The upside is it was a cheap lesson not to buy pedals from them again.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chozo Tull
Numerical (13-02-2014)
Old 13-02-2014, 02:25 AM   #10
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Massachusetts

On the flipside, it was from eBay, so who knows. Maybe the seller just gave me a shit deal.

------------------
Old 13-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #11
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Just out of curiosity was it the Superfuzz? I'm reading the specs for it and it asks for 9v...so I'd guess either the polarity was flipped on your adapter or the pedal was not functional before you got it.
Old 13-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #12
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Massachusetts

Quote:
Just out of curiosity was it the Superfuzz? I'm reading the specs for it and it asks for 9v...so I'd guess either the polarity was flipped on your adapter or the pedal was not functional before you got it.
Yep, Super Fuzz SF300. The adapter definitely was the wrong one, but I'm gonna be honest: I got two other Behringer pedals and stupidly used the adapter and those pedals both work fine now (never plugging that adapter in again!) so I really don't see why it would make a difference on the fuzz pedal. I'm probably just gonna try and return it on eBay, but I wouldn't be surprised if the guy said no... Not sure if I should mention the adapter thing, hah.

------------------
Thanks to Wardruna
Numerical (13-02-2014)
Old 13-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #13
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Massachusetts

Okay, I did not expect this. Things worked themselves out well: The guy gave me a refund and said not even to worry about shipping the pedal back to him. This gives me the ability to look into the problem more, so I'm incredibly grateful. If I can't solve this, I MAY get another Behringer fuzz pedal just because they're cheap, but I might instead opt for a Danelectro.

------------------
Old 13-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

hey now...easy on the behri-bashing...
I have an ada-800 and that thing sounds like a lynx aroura or a rosetta...that being said, most stuff that company makes is crap...

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Have you tried flipping the polarity?

If a pedal says "needs 9v" it needs 9v. Also check the Amperage requirements (there you can go higher values without much worrying). Some pedals work with a bit more voltage, but...(wait for it)...Behringer is shit. Don't buy Behringer shit (sorry, TaylorFrank).

There are much better alternatives, and I'm not talking boutique pedals. Decent Proco, T-Rex, Ibanez/Maxon, Boss, MXR, Coron, etc etc will work. Used is cheaper. If you like/can, you can even make something great yourself (DIY) with BuildYourOwnClone, GeneralGuitarGadgets (I like the swedish MoodySounds.com).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
There are much better alternatives, and I'm not talking boutique pedals. Decent Proco, T-Rex, Ibanez/Maxon, Boss, MXR, Coron, etc etc will work. Used is cheaper. If you like/can, you can even make something great yourself (DIY) with BuildYourOwnClone, GeneralGuitarGadgets (I like the swedish MoodySounds.com).
+1

I agree. I think Boss has the toughest pedals out there, and the Ibanez tube screamer series is an affordable industry standard. Dan Electro is kind of low grade and it's probably going to come in a plastic casing.

Don't overlook multi effects pedals, either. They offer a lot of flexibility and sonic tweaking opportunities. I'd take one crappy multi over 2 - 4 crappy standalone pedals any day. If I'm actually playing guitar I like the good/boutique stuff, but for producing sometimes the shittiest pedals yield the best results.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
5inusoid
Learning The Ropes
5inusoid is currently spamming hard
San Marcos Ca
MC Status: 10

That Korg power supply is AC. You need DC for pedals. Oopsie. Fried for sure.
5inusoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043791
Thanked 7,527 Times in 4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post

the Ibanez tube screamer series is an affordable industry standard.
It may be over there but it certainly isn't over here. At about 3 times the price of an SD-1 it's not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
Don't overlook multi effects pedals, either. They offer a lot of flexibility and sonic tweaking opportunities. I'd take one crappy multi over 2 - 4 crappy standalone pedals any day. If I'm actually playing guitar I like the good/boutique stuff, but for producing sometimes the shittiest pedals yield the best results.
The problem I've found in the past with a lot of multifx is that there's a delay or even sometime dropout when switching banks or patches which is awful for live.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Numerical (13-02-2014)
Old 13-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #19
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
It may be over there but it certainly isn't over here. At about 3 times the price of an SD-1 it's not for everyone.
The later issue tube screamers are indeed pricey, but some of the earlier versions can be had for a lot less. TS1s can be had for less than $50, although I've never tried one myself. Still, I'd rather roll the dice with one of those instead of a behringer/dan electro/whathaveyou. Also, other less famous Ibanez pedals aren't quite as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
The problem I've found in the past with a lot of multifx is that there's a delay or even sometime dropout when switching banks or patches which is awful for live.
That's probably true on some of them, but not all of them. I used the Boss GT series for years and it wasn't much of an issue. For resampling / producing, I typically pick one patch and mess with the parameters live while recording so it's not a big issue for me. I just think there's a lot of bang for the buck with the multis. All things equal, I'd rather have boutique everything but that can add up quickly.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #20
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5inusoid View Post
That Korg power supply is AC. You need DC for pedals. Oopsie. Fried for sure.
No. The input is AC, the output 9V DC.

Advertisements

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote