The Five Dollar/Five Album challenge - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 30-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #61
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts
Re: The Five Dollar/Five Album challenge

took a visit to the record store and the prices were good but a little too much. couldve got CDs for 50p each but i didnt want to do that. couldve got trance vinyls for a quid but i didnt want to do that (there were a few positiva ones i wanted to buy anyway though)

so i spent ages trying to get what i could for a fiver

in the end got frustrated and bought 4 vinyls for like 8 quid summet which makes absoloutely no sense

they were all pretty much 2.95 and 1.95 which was just so facking annoying cause i wanted so many of them

i think what im gonna do is pick 2 of them and use them. i didnt listen to any in the shop cause i thought that would be better and i think i wont try and find them on youtube til ive made my decision in the interest of fairness.... what do you think?

also i totally dont have a turntable

EDIT: there was a monty python one for a fiver which i reaaaaaaally wanted and wouldve been cool to use but i cba. i might go back and get it and do it ahyway though just cause i want to listen to it

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
deadmau7 (10-08-2014)
Old 31-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #62
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269479108
Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,057 Posts

I spent 4.43 at Oxfam music, now I have too much...
A real treasure trove, 5 cassettes for 0.49 each and 7" were 3 for 0.99!

I'll have some Maschine-time next week.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #63
miorc
Granular Poster
miorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MC
Queensland
MC Status: 153769

I went to the local lifeline store, which was about to close so I selected my albums carefully over about 30 seconds. Luckily they were all $1.00 (australian though, not sure the comparison at the moment). I bought the following:

25 Polka Greats
Beethoven Symphony No. 6 in F - 'Pastoral' - Berlin Philharmonic
Play it again - Alan Gardiner Accordian Band
Carol Hensel's Exercise and Dance program Volume 2
In the Blue Canadian Rockies - The Mom and Dads

This has been a really fun and interesting project I strongly encourage everyone to have a go at. Im actually glad i didn't have much to choose from, forced me to realise the potential of material i might not otherwise even consider. Especially good exercise for anyone getting into a rut of using the same sounds or production techniques.

Enjoy

If player doesnt work heres the link: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by miorc; 03-09-2013 at 12:38 PM..
miorc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #64
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

^ cant read the track .__. The selection is quite cool !

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #65
miorc
Granular Poster
miorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MCmiorc is a savage MC
Queensland

Erm, not sure whats happened there. Have to follow the link
Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #66
h3xal1te
h3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant future
Glasgow
MC Status: 1560

Picked up the following:

Symphonies for the 70s - 50p
Fun Loving Criminals - The Grave and The Constant - 50p
Propellerheads - Dive EP - 99p
Aesop Rock - Boombox - 99p
J Majik - Spaced Invader - 50p

Three 7"s for 1:
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
808 State - In Yer Face
Snide Rhythms - I Can't Keep Up

Total cost: 4.48

Not sure when I'll get time to sample it all and get composing, going on holiday for a week on Saturday so I'll get to it when I can...

P.S. I know it was supposed to be 5 albums, but I've only got one full length, am I allowed the extra since they're mostly singles? If not I'll ditch the 7"s.

------------------
Find me on Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Facebook for D&B and other Electronica

Check out my blog for D&B News and Reviews.

h3xal1te is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #67
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
took a visit to the record store and the prices were good but a little too much. couldve got CDs for 50p each but i didnt want to do that. couldve got trance vinyls for a quid but i didnt want to do that (there were a few positiva ones i wanted to buy anyway though)

so i spent ages trying to get what i could for a fiver

in the end got frustrated and bought 4 vinyls for like 8 quid summet which makes absoloutely no sense

they were all pretty much 2.95 and 1.95 which was just so facking annoying cause i wanted so many of them

i think what im gonna do is pick 2 of them and use them. i didnt listen to any in the shop cause i thought that would be better and i think i wont try and find them on youtube til ive made my decision in the interest of fairness.... what do you think?

also i totally dont have a turntable

EDIT: there was a monty python one for a fiver which i reaaaaaaally wanted and wouldve been cool to use but i cba. i might go back and get it and do it ahyway though just cause i want to listen to it
Oh the perils of shitty music shops compared to everyone else. The guy in my town doesn't charge anything under $5 for vinyl and cd's, one of which I opened up and was a BURNT, PIRATED Dirty Vegas album. The vinyls are all wrecked from 2004 hurricane water
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #68
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110650
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,419 Posts

Yea I can't believe the deals you are finding. $5 gets me a compilation of The Best Ever Disco as performed by some no name crap cover band.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #69
miorc
Granular Poster
Queensland

↓ Perfect!
Old 23-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #70
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910

Going to try this haha Wonder how it will turn out, it should be cool though. I went to this record store in San Fransisco called recycled records like a month ago, really awesome record store haha. I just looked in the dollar crate, picked out the coolest/nicest looking album covers and hoped for the best haha. I got a few jazz albums, a scottish orchestra, and a barry manilow album. Interesting mix, excited to see if i can make anything out of these!

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #71
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

Should be updated to the five finger / five album challenge. You have to walk out of the music store with 5 albums hidden in your pants
Old 20-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #72
suspension
Microknight
suspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond repute
NYC
MC Status: 2110

I decided to try a sad bootleg version of this in the middle of the night by shuffling my itunes and picking 5 tracks to sample. Ended up being a cool little jam with my APC though. Thanks
suspension is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to suspension
D_Davis (20-07-2014)
Old 20-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #73
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

Wow this is a really cool idea! Challenge accepted! Tomorrow I will go out thrifting!

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #74
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

OK so I didn't quite manage "tomorrow" but I finally got round to it today - sadly the cheapest records I could get were €2 each so it has become the 5 album €10 challenge, but I did get some good records:

Huey Lewis & the News - Sports
Madonna - Like a Prayer
Europe - The Final Countdown
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Miami Vice Soundtrack II

I just did a little jam but I fucked up the recording, I'll try again later.

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #75
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts

i cocked this up the first time by buying records from the wrong place. i know where i can get some good ones for a quid so im gonna jump on this as soon as i get a place in october. im really struggling to enjoy making music right now so this will be good fun. will do it all OTB i reckon

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
Trusty Steed (11-08-2014)
Old 18-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #76
LouTheOpossum
Analog Lurker
LouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

When I try to sample from a bought album, it says that it is protected and I can't drop the song in Ableton?
LouTheOpossum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 05:29 AM   #77
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 13160

convert the song to mp3 first yo

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #78
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouTheOpossum View Post
When I try to sample from a bought album, it says that it is protected and I can't drop the song in Ableton?
Live won't read mp3's (at least usually not in a sampler). Use WAV or AIFF
Old 27-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #79
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

I have a stack of scrap vinyl that I got in a crate for a dollar, I might pick out five and do this. Think I'll steal kick drums from aphrodite.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheWizar
vashima (24-09-2015)
Old 20-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #80
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of
California. No doubt about it.
MC Status: 1160

This is the sickest idea I've seen in a minute. Google mapping thriftstores now.

Advertisements

Hygro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote