sampling techniques
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 15-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
TheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MC
Boulder, CO
MC Status: 236874
sampling techniques

How is it that people like daft punk and pretty lights use samples with parts taken out of them? like the drums taken off or a vocal taken off of a sample? is filtering the only way to do this?

I know you can do some stuff with phase cancellation but that never really worked for me. Do they just get lucky and get good stems?

Advertisements

------------------
TheIlladelph is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheIlladelph
ThEstEmp (04-06-2013)
Old 15-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060
Re: sampling techniques

Not trying to be captain obvious but volume automation and really hard sidechains work as well.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to twilitez
TheIlladelph (16-05-2013)
Old 15-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
NocturneEDM
Microknight
NocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to behold
London
MC Status: 710

Do you have any specific tunes you are referring to?

It all depends, alot of drum parts/loops have been recycled over the years (e.g amen break) and in some cases you can go back and find clean source material from old music.

Or quite possibly in Daft Punk's case they have been able to ask labels for various stems and are given them because they are Daft Punk....

If you have an example we can always try and work it out

------------------
NocturneEDM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NocturneEDM
GomesR (16-05-2013)
Old 16-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 75274
Thanked 1,254 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturneEDM View Post
Or quite possibly in Daft Punk's case they have been able to ask labels for various stems and are given them because they are Daft Punk....
This.
Even with filtering, you can't fully take out the rest of a song and grab something, unless there is a point in the track where it solos what you want, at least not from my experience.

But you can always use acapellas from other sites, until you get super Daft Punk famous

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to GomesR
NocturneEDM (16-05-2013)
Old 16-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
TheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MC
Boulder, CO

this is the tune im sampling. Specifially the chorus. I sidechained the shit out of it to get the kick and clap out and filtered as much of the bass out as possible but it sounds very shitty. chic songs rarely have parts without drums and bass.. its frustrating

------------------
Old 16-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Yeah I also reckon they get the stems somehow... for some tracks you can sometimes buy specific stems like vocals or drums on site such as Beatport... Or sometimes you can get stems from remix competitions... Or you can try anc contact the artist labels and ask nicely...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565180
Thanked 7,485 Times in 5,285 Posts

Sampling from the original source is a combination of luck, time and patience. I've been sampling like mad lately and sometimes I'm luck to pull a single clean drum sound from a song. Personally, I've stopped sampling from the perspective of "I want samples from that exact song"...rather than that, I buy what seem like interesting vinyls w/o listening...unusual stuff I've not heard of...then after I've recorded it and chopped stuff out I always feel satisfied.

If you do some digging on discogs and eBay you can find promotional copies of singles that typically have the full song and the radio edit on the a side then the a capella and instrumental on the other. You can probably find CDs like this as well, though I haven't looked.

Sampling is still a bit of a dark art rather than a science, that's why I love it : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (24-05-2013)
Old 16-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
carrot-rope
Minor Glitch
carrot-rope is just really nicecarrot-rope is just really nicecarrot-rope is just really nicecarrot-rope is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I'm not sure about Pretty Lights but I don't think Daft Punk have ever used isolated parts in their tracks. You can hear the original drums in the intros of One More Time and Digital Love pretty clearly. I wouldn't worry about cutting out elements completely as it'll ruin other parts that share the same frequencies, just make enough room for your own elements with some light filtering/eqing and experiment with different settings on the side chain compressor, some samples work better than others. Could you post your attempt?
carrot-rope is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
Boulder, CO

i dont have much of an attempt with the song i posted above, but heres an attempt on different samples. this one doesnt sound too bad so far

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 17-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

daft punk lifts a lot from vinyls though.
luckily for them, vinyls tend to want certain things in the ceanter channel to skip the needle from jumping. lots of old vinyls have lots of stuff in the center that you can easily cancel out/lift forward. neat.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #11
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18030319

some software i havent seen mentioned is izotope RX2.
it is great for getting rid of those final remaining bits of sound after you have removed what you can using filtering, phase e.t.c.
its a whole lot of money if youre just a hobby producer though, but if you can justify spending the money on it then its a great tool.

also, some small leftovers are easily covered up once the samples are mixed back into a track. when soloed the problems might seem big, but when heard in a mix masking may work in your favour. its not ideal, but its realistic

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

Voice Trap is pretty cool too (also available as freeware)

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIlladelph View Post

this is the tune im sampling. Specifially the chorus. I sidechained the shit out of it to get the kick and clap out and filtered as much of the bass out as possible but it sounds very shitty. chic songs rarely have parts without drums and bass.. its frustrating
Rather ironically you're sampling a song that uses samples itself, I know there's duke ellingtons it don't mean a thing sampled in there so maybe look to the original sources for better samples too

Whosampled.com is great for that sort of knowledge
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts

there are many reasons why the music from the70s is so good to sample

one of them is that in the 60s everything sounded like shit and in the 80s the shit was all over processed 95% of the time but in the 70s you have all of these lush instruments and singer going off everywhere and the majority of the time you can hear fuck all of the drums

you start layering a house beat over that sample with a bit of sidechain theres just no way its getting heard

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
TheIlladelph (04-06-2013)
Old 24-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritos View Post
Voice Trap is pretty cool too (also available as freeware)

i might have to try that out.
thanks for the link

------------------
signature loading...
Old 24-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Rather ironically you're sampling a song that uses samples itself, I know there's duke ellingtons it don't mean a thing sampled in there so maybe look to the original sources for better samples too

Whosampled.com is great for that sort of knowledge
nice link. seems theyve got quite a big database too.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
Boulder, CO

Thanks guys! I'm currently using an ion ttusb turn table to record samples. I just got into this method but god damn it's fun hitting up thrift store crates and searching for samples on old obscure records.

------------------
Old 04-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
rahoo
Granular Poster
rahoo is currently spamming hard
Texas
MC Status: 10

just some of what i've been learning as I try more and more sampling: A lot of the time when you hear a filtered part of the song you want to sample and it sounds bad/too bright/etc on its own but when you start adding in the rest of your tune the masking effect helps cover up more of the rolloff; its like finding a balance between the filter points and the volume of the sample and frequencies in the same area from your tune. hope this helps!

Advertisements

------------------
rahoo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote