Your approach to breakbeats
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 30-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
AnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to behold
Yer mum
MC Status: 810
Your approach to breakbeats

Herrooo!

I am interested in YOUR use of breakbeats, tricks you people use to make them work, the hard/software you process them in, the source material! It has to be said I don't need a tutorial on breakbeats as I consided myself quite good at them, just interested in your own techniques....

Ok, let's start off:

I use an Akai S1000 sampler and Roland W-30 and S-330 samplers, also an Amiga for breakbeat editing. I sample my breaks from the original vinyl (no fucking reissue) and then use some tricks to get the most out of them.

FIRE!

Advertisements

AnthonyDavid94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: Your approach to breakbeats

Well, one thing I was experimenting with for a beat tape project was just stretching a break on the timeline in FL Studio. I'd pitch one instance up and second down equally from the original then EQ each so they'd all sit in the mix together and chop that up or use the different pitched breaks to change the pacing of the song. Stuff didn't always work out, but pretty often I'd find some good combos and build a tune around it.

I was also resampling the breaks a lot using tape saturation plug in. Mostly Kramer Master Tape at the time.

Got a lot of crazy artifacts doing this. Oh. Also sampling...but some from CD and cassette, but also vinyl--where ever I can get something cool : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

In ableton live session view you can easily drag in a load of breaks and use the launch functions to produce different break sequences.
Try playing with legato on or off, stretching sections of the break, setting tiny or massive loop regions, pitching up and down, multiple versions of the same break, gating, and different probabilities for the launches and what will launch next.
Often it's nice to have the first loop launch with a probability of say 3/1 with "any" or "other" as the alternative.
Then you just keep editing or rolling through until you're happy.
Add some fx and render.

Edit: don't forget a few loops of silence in there too to break things up a bit.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
daffymaestro
Soundwave Mangler
daffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MC
MC Status: 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
In ableton live session view you can easily drag in a load of breaks and use the launch functions to produce different break sequences.
Try playing with legato on or off, stretching sections of the break, setting tiny or massive loop regions, pitching up and down, multiple versions of the same break, gating, and different probabilities for the launches and what will launch next.
Often it's nice to have the first loop launch with a probability of say 3/1 with "any" or "other" as the alternative.
Then you just keep editing or rolling through until you're happy.
Add some fx and render.

Edit: don't forget a few loops of silence in there too to break things up a bit.
Ableton is amazing to work on samples. easy to maneuver and chops and transposes ... you name it. Fl is also a great tool. i started with FL and i will always love FL no matter what. "audio sampler" (not channel sampler) has stretching mechanism which is extremely great. all you have to do it trim up to the exact point and stretch to 4 bar or 2bars with one click. if you trimmed it well it will perfectly lay on the beat. most of the time the pitch will strtch to be in key as well. ableton doesn't allow to manual stretch but it does by doubling or halving the sample tempo. positive side of ableton is it will map any controller on a plugin to its midi map. you can with fl but, its irritating (if right click assign isn't there). again in ableton if you duplicate a sample in session or arrangement view, it automatically becomes new sample, meaning you can do micro changes within the sample with out affecting the parent sample, which isnt available in FL unless you asigned a mixer channel to the new one.
daffymaestro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
AnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to behold
Yer mum

Cool cool. Any hardware users here or does no one bother? I could get that, for normal people it would be a giant pain, I just prefer chopping in a big beige box (Akai sampler). Resampling to physical tape I like as well.

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
Yer mum

OK, I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE. I have used sample cd's. But only oldskool ones they used to use in the 90's. And I always know the original source of the break.

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyDavid94 View Post
Cool cool. Any hardware users here or does no one bother? I could get that, for normal people it would be a giant pain, I just prefer chopping in a big beige box (Akai sampler). Resampling to physical tape I like as well.
I used to chop breaks in my ESX, but I sold that to purchase Maschine. I'm not really doing anything special break chopping wise in Maschine. It's slicing/stretching engine is pretty idiot proof. I usually don't even do manual slices TBH.

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
Yer mum

Also interested on HOW people on here get the breaks in time and without hickups.
FIRE!

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Also interested on HOW people on here get the breaks in time and without hickups.
FIRE!
I just chop shit and move it around on the time line until it sounds right if auto-stretching/slicing doesn't sound right. Then I just bounce that audio and go from there.

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
Yer mum

I use a different technique which is basically always spot on but I'm not telling whihihi. Not even bothering with stretching as I've only got hardware samplers. Driven by an Atari ST.

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

When I was working with my ESX I was basically just resampling inside the ESX doing live edits until things sounded correct. I'm big on just trust my ears and doing things the "hard way" most of the time, lol.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
curious if you've used Maschine or the new MPC Ren/Studio and what you thought of either of them since you seem to be a huge MPC fan.

I almost feel like I don't know how I even got along making music before Maschine.

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
Yer mum

I have never touched an MPC in my life, mate. I use an Akai S1000, which is a rack format sampler.

I actually only use gear that is at least 20 years old and I fucking love it lol. Floppies forever.

Never used modern gear, sorry.

------------------
Thanks to AnthonyDavid94
relic (30-07-2013)
Old 30-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I have never touched an MPC in my life, mate. I use an Akai S1000, which is a rack format sampler.

I actually only use gear that is at least 20 years old and I fucking love it lol. Floppies forever.

Never used modern gear, sorry.
Oh damn. OK, I thought you were an MPC guy. What do you use to sequence the s1000, or can you sequence inside the rack sampler itself? Is it one of those vintage computers...the Atari or Amiga I think you mentioned? Anyway, really cool man. I played around with an E-Mu rack sampler for a while...ugh...workflow nightmare fore me! I remember seeing a run down of your gear somewhere around IDMf before...

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010

I record myself making drum sounds with my mouth, and then chop up samples in line with the recording. Because I can't edit as fast as my brain makes the cuts, breaks and glitches, this is the quickest and easiest for me. Also it's fun sitting down and going "Skippadee ts tzziiiIT bowm kshhh kshhh kshhh bumf tsT bowm bipbipbip KAK."
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
Yer mum

I use an Atari ST running Cubase. Pure midi. Never worked with audio, don't miss it lol. Any editing will be done inside the samplers.

I've got an Amiga as well. But I still prefer 'normal' sequencing for samplers than trackers. I fucking love the OctaMED tracker on the Amiga too. When I use that I'll do my chops in there. 8 bit goodness. Either way I mash my breaks to fuck but still manage to make them appear natural if necessary.

------------------
Thanks to AnthonyDavid94
relic (30-07-2013)
Old 30-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I use an Atari ST running Cubase. Pure midi. Never worked with audio, don't miss it lol. Any editing will be done inside the samplers.

I've got an Amiga as well. But I still prefer 'normal' sequencing for samplers than trackers. I fucking love the OctaMED tracker on the Amiga too. When I use that I'll do my chops in there. 8 bit goodness. Either way I mash my breaks to fuck but still manage to make them appear natural if necessary.
More power to you man! I can't see your signature at the moment, but do you have tunes posted anywhere I can listen to?

------------------
Old 30-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I have a library of some hundred breakbeats. When i want one I browse till I find what I like. Cut chop as necessary.

If needed I make several copies of the break and EQ differently. I might EQ snare differently then kick etc. Or just have a copy of the break that has a really narrow EQ band going, some stereo enhance on that or reverb or whatever to lift out snare/hihat more
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
Yer mum

sent u a pm, don't wanna get kicked out for shameless self promotion. At the moment I don't care as I'm not good enough. Maybe in a couple of months.

------------------
Thanks to AnthonyDavid94
PROton42 (30-07-2013)
Old 30-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #19
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

You are hardcore, Anthony! Power to you.
I sometimes miss my old Akai sampler and Atari 1040ste running Cubase, but I'm also very glad I live in the future (and all the newer and more convenient tools).

Since I am partly a tracker, I use loopstretch-, offset-, retrigger-, reverse-, pitch-up/down-after-every-trigger-, and other tracker/sampler commands in a tracker. It's been a while since I dabbled with breakbeat though. But it's alot of fun.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
Yer mum

Ah, fellow hardcore man. Fucking love tracking man. Been getting into it lately. The sound is worth it, I like how you can actually grind the sample to pulp within the sequencer, whereas with MIDI you need to use seperate commands.

Advertisements

------------------