Guitars and things with strings. - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 25-01-2018, 01:42 AM   #181
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544177
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,353 Posts
Re: Guitars and things with strings.

Usually those pres w the hi impedance inputs are for tracking direct, although there is no reason you can't use an additional pre before your amp.

Ive considered getting into the preamp game a few different times and have landed on:

I have higher priority gear needs. My rack PodXT makes a great guitar pre for what I am doing, which is usually feeding Guitar Rig, its quick dirty and effective. Sadly I've not fired up my Fender Bassman in months, most recent project hasn't called for it as its more of a synth-y affair.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 01:48 AM   #182
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Yeah, they probably think it sounds good. Or they bought into some sort of magic tone stack because someone on Gearslutz said it was the best ever
Lol, that place,
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 03:11 AM   #183
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 45160

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
I have higher priority gear needs. My rack PodXT makes a great guitar pre for what I am doing, which is usually feeding Guitar Rig, its quick dirty and effective. Sadly I've not fired up my Fender Bassman in months, most recent project hasn't called for it as its more of a synth-y affair.
Yeah, that's really been my take on them as well, except I actually dabbled a bit and just bought and sold a couple through the stable. As I said to jb, they all altered the tone or gave me more options, some to my liking, but there didn't seem to be any real mojo I was missing, especially considering everything dumps into the DAW chain for me these days and I'm just going to beat the shit out of the sound there and the pres on my MOTU work fine for that. If I was constantly gigging live and really needed a shit-hot clean or slightly dirty tone or was recording a wide variety of things, I could see some of them being more useful.

I think most of the expensive stand-alone preamps shine when they've got a good mic hooked up to them and you're recording a warm, clean tone. The Hardy M1 sounded great on percussion and cello, but it did almost nothing for guitar, especially once you get into overdrive. Very crisp and 'present', if that makes sense. Tons of detail. Basically useless for me. The Aphex 1100 was really warm, but with a super tight high end that added some shimmer. It was stupid good with ribbon mics and an old SM7, as well as on synths. Great River, Avalon, a couple others. Nothing actually blew my hair back enough to say 'this is it', especially considering what they cost. I never had a reliable way to get into the lunchbox stuff without a pretty serious investment, so I can't say if I was really missing out with Neve, SSL, etc.

I actually ended up keeping the last pre I bought, an ADA8000, because it sounds just fine and has 8 ins and was cheap enough that I didn't feel the need to get my money back out of it.

Anymore I think I'd probably buy an AxeFx or Kemper or whatever and be done with it. If I had a professional studio then serious preamps would make a lot of sense, but for home recording it's just not the tone-chasing/financial direction I'm interested in nowadays.

Quote:
Lol, that place,
Meh, it's easy to shit on, but I browse GS regularly because there's a massive amount of information there, and some of it is useful and only shows up in places like that. Like most of the internet, the trick is learning to separate the wheat from the chaff. Just make sure to wipe the shit off your feet before you leave.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
jbvdb493 (25-01-2018)
Old 25-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #184
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 186360
Thanked 3,727 Times in 2,209 Posts

I just remembered I have an ADA mp1 somewhere. Not here.

Like... I own it but I can't remember who has been in possession of it for the last fourteen years.

*tries really hard*

ffs...
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #185
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:

I actually ended up keeping the last pre I bought, an ADA8000, because it sounds just fine and has 8 ins and was cheap enough that I didn't feel the need to get my money back out of it.

Im using an ADA8000 as well (i have 2 of them) although ive not touched the pre's, im using the line ins patched from the direct outs of my soundcraft. seems fine for me!

------------------
Old 26-01-2018, 12:39 AM   #186
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

Quote:
Im using an ADA8000 as well (i have 2 of them) although ive not touched the pre's, im using the line ins patched from the direct outs of my soundcraft. seems fine for me!
Not that it really matters, but the line ins run through the preamps, but with a forced pad (really just a 10k resistor). [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
It's not actually possible to bypass the pres on the Behringer stuff without some serious modifications. But, as you say, it still sounds fine, at least to my ear.

------------------

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Thanks to Artificer
chasedobson (26-01-2018)
Old 26-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #187
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Not that it really matters, but the line ins run through the preamps, but with a forced pad (really just a 10k resistor). [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
It's not actually possible to bypass the pres on the Behringer stuff without some serious modifications. But, as you say, it still sounds fine, at least to my ear.

interesting stuff, I did not know that.

Having my Soundcraft in place its sort of a no brainer - I leave the trim pots on the ADA8000 at noon and usually drive the input on the console, I also like the ability to track instruments/voice/whatever post EQ.

In other (guitar related) news I finally got together with my girlfriend's father - hes got a wood shop - to dowel the body and drill new holes for an aftermarket neck for my (resissue) 72 Custom Tele.

It didn't come together super easily (im not the best woodworker) and its not the prettiest work, but its solid!

stays in tune and sounds fucking great. I've never owned a tele and the neck pickup in this thing is really nice, round and warm w plenty of low mid (that i'll likely need to eq out to make fit in a mix). the bridge is a little awkward, as i do a lot of plunky palm muted stuff and its got exposed screws but I'll manage.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
jbvdb493 (26-01-2018)
Old 26-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #188
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

I've done a bit of work on my guitars as well.
changed the tuners on the epiphone LP to locking tuners.
that was a real pain! needed to make the holes bigger and had to fight with the head stock a little to get the new tuners in place.
Sanded the back of the neck to make it less sticky, not that I play fast or anything but its more comfy.
I found an SG pickguard online for 10 bucks that I installed on my SG. Did a shit job at all 3 but whatever.
Now I need to get a new nut on the SG, the current one is too low and the strings are almost touching the first 2 frets and causes fret buzz. That's a bit above my pay grade tho.
And, for shits and gigs I've started lessons, I figure it cant hurt to learn a little more theory.
trying to learn sweep picking lol, stand by for gratuitous solos!
Old 26-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #189
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

I'm WAY better at the electronics in a guitar as opposed to the woodwork, i mean an electric guitar is a pretty simple device and you can fuck it up over and over without doing permanent damage as replacing say a 5 way switch is far cheaper than buying a new body or neck!

as for the nut, its really not THAT difficult to do. I've not done it but have been present when a friend did his.

lol - im also the guy that is content to break it twice in the process of "fixing" things in effort to learn, so maybe dont take my advice.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
jbvdb493 (26-01-2018)
Old 26-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #190
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
I'm WAY better at the electronics in a guitar as opposed to the woodwork, i mean an electric guitar is a pretty simple device and you can fuck it up over and over without doing permanent damage as replacing say a 5 way switch is far cheaper than buying a new body or neck!

as for the nut, its really not THAT difficult to do. I've not done it but have been present when a friend did his.

lol - im also the guy that is content to break it twice in the process of "fixing" things in effort to learn, so maybe dont take my advice.
Yeah, I am just a little intimidated by the soldering, where as I have all the tool necessary for the small wood work stuff.
Mind you I don't think I would attempt to change a neck, even on a bolt on, myself. So kudos.
Old 29-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #191
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

I'm curious what the consensus is on this one.

As you may have read, I recently put together a telecaster with an aftermarket neck. The neck is about and 1/8th of an inch deeper than the neck pocket, so I needed to adjust the saddles in the bridge (this is the 3 saddle 70's style telecaster bridge) pretty high to compensate, making it a little uncomfortable to palm mute. Palm muting makes up a large part of my playing style so I'm trying to address this.

I'm thinking that I would rather not plane down the neck as I'm 99% sure I'd fuck it up (im better with mechanical things vs woodworking), so instead I'm considering shimming the bridge itself, use a bit of plexi or acrylic that I would cut to the size and shape of the bridge and drill holes where all the screws would go and for the strings to lift it up to meet the extended height of the neck/body joint. Place this under the bridge and then re-mount it back to the body.

Is this a terrible idea?

------------------
Old 29-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #192
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744050141
Thanked 7,656 Times in 4,719 Posts

I would at least call a guitar tech or luthier on that one dude.
My initial thought was "just plane the neck down" and then I read on.
Yeah, I don't me you. Get a guy who knows what he's doing to do it for you man.
Kudos for the enthusiasm but sometimes it's just best to let someone with experience do it (and hopefully show you)

I went to buy a Squire Bullet Mustang just now from the place I used to work at.
It said on their website that they had one in stock.
They didn't.
It had a faulty switch so they sent it back (wtf??) before Christmas and now they're discontinued in the UK.
Grrr!

Also, I tried a harmonic percolator and was not blown away.
On the other hand that's £250 saved.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
jbvdb493 (29-01-2018)
Old 29-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #193
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

I would get it looked at as well.
not sure I would be up to that kind of work on a guitar.
I gotta take my SG in as well, nut is messed up and fretboard is lifting up off the neck.
I'm humidifying it and am pretty sure epoxy would sort out the fretboard but the nut has to go!

but yeah, I am all for messing up my own guitars and then paying someone to un fuck them.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #194
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MCDr. Sleaze is a savage MC
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 11960

Was going to post this in the NAMM thread, but feel it would be better here.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:13 AM   #195
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10660

Quote:
I'm curious what the consensus is on this one.

As you may have read, I recently put together a telecaster with an aftermarket neck. The neck is about and 1/8th of an inch deeper than the neck pocket, so I needed to adjust the saddles in the bridge (this is the 3 saddle 70's style telecaster bridge) pretty high to compensate, making it a little uncomfortable to palm mute. Palm muting makes up a large part of my playing style so I'm trying to address this.

I'm thinking that I would rather not plane down the neck as I'm 99% sure I'd fuck it up (im better with mechanical things vs woodworking), so instead I'm considering shimming the bridge itself, use a bit of plexi or acrylic that I would cut to the size and shape of the bridge and drill holes where all the screws would go and for the strings to lift it up to meet the extended height of the neck/body joint. Place this under the bridge and then re-mount it back to the body.

Is this a terrible idea?
Shim the neck pocket.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
Artificer (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:42 AM   #196
Artificer
Deep Underground
Southern Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
Shim the neck pocket.
My understanding is that the neck sits too high as is (thus his talking about planing it down). Shimming the neck pocket would only serve to raise the neck higher, requiring even higher bridge action. Unless I'm misreading his situation or your suggestion, which I might be.

If I'm understanding it right, I'd say go for the bridge shim. It's non-destructive and all you're out is the cost of some plexi or wood and your time. If it fixes it, great. If it doesn't, you know you need to take it somewhere or break out the big tools.

------------------

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Old 08-02-2018, 02:46 AM   #197
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa

Quote:
My understanding is that the neck sits too high as is (thus his talking about planing it down). Shimming the neck pocket would only serve to raise the neck higher, requiring even higher bridge action. Unless I'm misreading his situation or your suggestion, which I might be.

If I'm understanding it right, I'd say go for the bridge shim. It's non-destructive and all you're out is the cost of some plexi or wood and your time. If it fixes it, great. If it doesn't, you know you need to take it somewhere or break out the big tools.
Now I am confused. I thought the neck was sitting low in the neck pocket so that he was compensating for the strings lying on the fingerboard by raising the saddles.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #198
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Just ordered some fishman fluence pickups from reverb.com. The classic one (I think that’s what they are called, not the ones voiced for metal)
Gonna throw those into the SG, me thinks.
Thanks to jbvdb493
envelope3 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 04:37 AM   #199
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Just ordered some fishman fluence pickups from reverb.com. The classic one (I think that’s what they are called, not the ones voiced for metal)
Gonna throw those into the SG, me thinks.
They sound GREAT.
Thanks to envelope3
jbvdb493 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 04:38 AM   #200
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
They sound GREAT.
Gonna get you guys to install me thinks (I am typing like a pirate tonight) and check out those hx pedals while I am at it.
Do you do trade ins or consignment or anything?

Advertisements