The Concept Album
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 19-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24060
The Concept Album

Hello one and all, I was wondering if you guys have created a concept album or what you think of them. Do you find one concept boring? Do you think its a waist of time or is it worthwhile? I would also like to know what are your top 3 or 5 concept albums. It interest me for research on some other peoples opinions on concept albums. As for the top 5 for me as of now it would be as follows:

1. The Fragile (Nine inch nails) tie with Furious Angels (Rob Dougan)
2. The Wall (Pink Floyd)
3. Madvillany (Madvillan)
4.10,000 Days (Tool)
5. The Waters (Mick Jenkins)

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010
Re: The Concept Album

I love concept albums. I love listening to albums from front to back and it's even better if the album actually tells you a story.
So I prefer the concept albums that make a journey (emotionally) over albums with just a central theme.

Suffocate For Fuck Sake - Blazing Fires And Helicopters On The Frontpage Of The Newspaper. There's A War Going On And I'm Marching In Heavy Boots
[post-rock / sludge]
The whole album tells the story of someone with a depression and goes through a whole array of emotions. I'm not sure what it's about exactly as they speak swedish, but the music really speaks for itself. When it's done you feel like you've been on a long emotional journey.

Vello Leaf - Tonight I'm Leaving...
[post-rock / down-tempo]

Celldweller - Wish Upon A Blackstar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6nK6WcjEBY)
[industrial / electronic / rock?]

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Deloused in the Comatorium by the Mars Volta is mind blowing imho.

American Prayer by The Doors (laugh if you want, I bust it out several times a year)

Dunno if it really counts as a concept album but the Mad Professor version of Protection by Massive Attack called "No Protection"

I think there is a Coheed and Cambria concept album? No idea on the name, but they have some crazy lyrics about space battles and slaughtering children.

can't think of a 4th at the moment

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
PROton42 (20-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65296996

To me it doesn't really matter if an album is based on a concept or not. All that matters is if I enjoy it or not. If it feels right for a band/artist to do a concept album, then why not?

4 great ones that come to mind are:

Camel - The Snow Goose
Marconi Union - Distance
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (CD 2) --- CD 1 is great too but not exactly a concept album.

PS. love 10,000 Days too

Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
A Tree
Sample Destroyer
A Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2560

Meddle - Floyd

Book of Human Language - Aceayalone (not big on rap, but dayuum)

Head Hunters - Herbie Hancock (dunno if inteaded to be concept but like how it ties together)

Don't really rank them, just enjoy listening to them.

Boredom, no. The exact opposite. I think concept albums will continue to be ranked among the best albums of all time and people listen to them incessantly because they know they're in for a journey. Even if one or two tracks fail, the experience sticks and has the potential to create a sense of satisfaction unparalleled, except for maybe with the concert going experience.

------------------
----------------------------------------------------

the garden
A Tree is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River
MC Status: 89280723
Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,199 Posts

This. so fucking hard.

Make it through, and you'll never be the same again.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by antenna View Post
What is this vile sencesorcery? Be gone with ye, witch!
Sencesor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sencesor
Trusty Steed (16-09-2014)
Old 20-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River

Also, somewhat of a different vibe.

------------------
Quote:
Thanks to Sencesor
Numerical (20-08-2014)
Old 20-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I found this: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=106774

I've never made one and I hate listening to them, I guess it's not my thing
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17810

how about a concept that unfolds over several albums?

Explanation:

http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2012...-introduction/
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
The Nung River

This was fucking epic when it came out (1998, and the millennium doomsday frantic).

Still is.

The whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9H6...ZNwLId7CkxYAaU

------------------
Quote:
Old 20-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
The Nung River

One more for the Wu.

------------------
Quote:
Old 20-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

I own a few. Out of those I own, these would be my faves.

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

I think we've had this discussion before, might have gotten lost in the purge, but here's some of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Deloused in the Comatorium by the Mars Volta
That is definitely up there.

Pink Floyd - the Wall - Kind of obvious choice but it's a classic conceptual album.

Genesis - the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Also kind of obvious but probably one of my favorite things ever.

Triumvirat - Spartacus - Think there was also a film back in the 70's with this name that this album was the backdrop to. We're all familliar with the story.

the Labyrinth Soundtrack - bit of a stretch here but it has all the makings of a proper concept album, the music and lyrics follow the story of the Labyrinth and were integral in the telling of the story. Featuring the talent of David Bowie alongside incidental pieces and additional production by Trevor Jones, it's a great listening experience.

Lots more but these ones kind of stand out to me. I'm a big fan of the fantasy/psychedelic rock concept album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
10,000 Days (Tool)
Also up there, but it's hard for me to defend as a concept album because it's narrative is so fragmented.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas

I've tried to get into like dream theater, mars volta, and a lot of other dudes like that, but the vocals for those groups kills me.

Hm I have been trying to gether some studies on the idea and what people like from concept albums as I want my next album to be a concept album on a more professional level.

------------------
Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
demtingsdey
Learning The Ropes
demtingsdey is currently spamming hard
ottawa
MC Status: 10

sticky fingaz - black trash: the autobiography of kirk jones was next level!
demtingsdey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

From a composer/producer point of view I like having concepts. Being that 99% of my music is instrumental I cannot use lyrics to tell a story so I prefer to use simple psychologically based concepts.

I had 3 releases on a label last year. On the surface they may have seemed like independent releases, but there were little elements that connected them. The first release was an EP called Illusions of Separation, followed by a single and then an album. In each release, some of the tracks featured one or more small elements similar to / reminiscent of / the same as elements from tracks from the previous releases. Just a little way of spiking a bit of familiarity in the listener.

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

I've done a couple "concept albums" but nothing commercial. I think it's great for storytelling. Or just working out a certain style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I've tried to get into like dream theater, mars volta, and a lot of other dudes like that, but the vocals for those groups kills me.
Look up "Liquid Tension Experiment" it's essentially Dream Theater w/out singing

as far as concept albums go, hmmm so many.
I know the first ones I heard were Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" "The Wall" "Animals" and The Who's "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" - original rock operas!

More recently I like Charles Spearin "The Happiness Project"

------------------
Website
Soundcloud

Piano improvisations:
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to frajen
NewWorldOrder (16-09-2014)
Old 16-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
MC Status: 272296770
Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,584 Posts

My final major portfolio for university researched, to some degree, the concept album. It's quite an ambiguous term really. It doesn't necessarily have to have a narrative which many seem to think, rather it can simply have similar themes bounding tracks together through the whole album's duration. I'd go on, but... I won't.

My favourites:

The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

Tool - 10,000 Days

Bjork - Biophilia

More info on Biophilia as a concept:

When Power Stars Collide - Property Of The Pleiades Corporation

Thrice - The Alchemy Index

Wixel - 12 Records In 12 Months

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

Dr. Steel (effectively a concept artist) - People Of Earth

Aivi & Surasshu - The Black Block

I would also go as far as to say Nils Frahm's Screws was a concept album to some level, as the album is comprised of pieces he composed during the time he had broken his thumb and the state of mind he was in during that time.
Fun thread, MAN.

Last edited by Trusty Steed; 16-09-2014 at 09:21 PM..

------------------
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #19
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by frajen View Post
I've done a couple "concept albums" but nothing commercial. I think it's great for storytelling. Or just working out a certain style.

Look up "Liquid Tension Experiment" it's essentially Dream Theater w/out singing

as far as concept albums go, hmmm so many.
I know the first ones I heard were Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" "The Wall" "Animals" and The Who's "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" - original rock operas!

More recently I like Charles Spearin "The Happiness Project"
i think another prob I had was when I got into Tool I looked for more prog rock, and I went into most bands of the genre expecting tool, and then found out hey Tool is an extreme exception in a lot of ways. It created a bias.

Advertisements

------------------