Altern concept of music releasing from the album
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 31-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Adam201
Soundwave Mangler
Adam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant future
Canberra
MC Status: 1960
Altern concept of music releasing from the album

Hey guys,
So I have heard this mentioned before but only briefly, if anyone as any more information on the topic that would be great.

The topic is altern concept of releasing music.

At the moment we can release an album or an E.P, which contains 1,2, 12, 15 to around 30 tracks and fan's/consumers buy these records then listen.
Most of the time now days, especially in pop, these albums are just a bunch of tracks with no consistency or continuity and flow to the sound and the feel of the album. I feel this is tainting the way the album is viewed. The E.P is also mostly the same.

Now in the last few years there has been quite a large change to how the music is distributed and consumed with the likes of Spotify and others, I guess to a certain extent iTunes, although they tend to follow the same as previously mentioned. These online mediums are beginning to make the album less important because you are in no way forced to listen to the whole album is the way the artist intended or even if the album is a group of tracks it is really a bunch on singles grouped.

This brings me on to the point of all this.
I am not sure of the name but I believe it is called a catalogue or a staggered release.
This is where the music an artist releases can be 1 or 2 songs with sort of the promise of more in the future, similar to a subscription. The artist releases their next “banger” a month after the catalogue begun and all those subscribed will receive the most as released. The consumer can pay an upfront album cost and be delivered all music up to a certain point where the artist determines the catalogue or release is finalised.
Or alternatively the consumer pays a small subscription fee every month or year for as long as the artist is releasing music or again believes that the catalogues time is at an end.

Again I have only heard a mention of this concept but I would love to discuss the Pro’s and Con’s of this idea and the feasibility in it working.
Is it worth it?
What extra value is there?

Would fans feel comfortable?

Annnnnnnnnd GO!

Advertisements

------------------
Adam201 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts
Re: Altern concept of music releasing from the album

that will work if your fan base cares enough, if your music is good enough to crave and wait around for.

are you looking for ideas? or just asking about that idea in particular?

i don't see any value. the only value is doing something different with a release, releasing smaller amounts so it'll seem to the consumer like you're releasing alot quickly. could feign the idea that you release music quickly when you truly don't.

i think Gessaffelstein, however you spell his fucking name, is splitting his album, releasing one half at some point then waiting a bit and finishing it with another half. interesting concept.

but i think your music needs to stand up and be really desired for something like that to really take grip and work. plenty of artists promise this and that to their fans, especially music "in the future" but what happens when you cannot make that promise. literally, something happens, you stop making music etc. dramatic example but anything could happen.

there isn't a large change, its just what is easier for the consumer. we're lazy, we'd rather listen to a 30 second preview on the internet, click and buy it. instead of going to the store and listening and searching and making it a thing. people will always search and get free albums, i do it. if its an artist i like i'll buy it to support them cause in theory and concept you're supporting them via purchasing.

it seems that you really have to have good music out of the gate to have people buy it straight up. i think starting out releasing free music and working your way into a branding/marketing situation is more attainable for bedroom producers, what have yous. but everyone is different.

if you're not really on any radar it seems kind of like extra effort to probably get nothing out of it. if you're releasing an album/or just releasing tracks that when put together form an album, the consumer/fan is still probably paying the same.

also to have somebody subscribe with money again; your music has to be worth that subscription lol

what i think you should do: you have alot of tracks. and you said "we" so there is another set of ears and a brain involved. sift through those tracks and select ...15, choose maybe 4-5 and make an EP out of that. an EP, imo is like a teaser, sometimes it can be its own entity and thats that. but since you have more tracks and talk about flow and continuity i'd assume you have a distinct sound going on; good.

so create an Ep, release it, build hype first, whatever your plans are and release it. see how it does, how many downloads etc, comments, all that stuff. out of the 15 tracks, keep the best ones for the album, put maybe one or two good ones on the EP the rest can just be songs that are good enough to accompany them. most EDM songs are released as singles, some have tons of EP's others have full length albums with commentary or whatever they are coming up with these days. So on the flip side if you have a solid grouping of club tracks, i dunno what music you're making, maybe just release some singles, have them remixed.

you want people to know your name, pass it around. people like interesting and different. super vague but its true. other ways to distribute are blogs. i see countless producer friends with their various projects using blogs to get listens and downloads and it works. it only takes some people skills and relationship building with the blog in question. they can help get your name out. sometimes people use blogs as their music bibles, imagine; so and so said this album was the tits, then they download just based on a gushy review from a fanboy/girl. all in your favor, that is.

this might be untrue, but i think people will only work to get music or participate in something different if it draws them in, they really like it as a product. sometimes that takes work.

my two cents.

Last edited by SKYCORE; 31-03-2014 at 07:36 AM..
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Adam201
Soundwave Mangler
Adam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant future
Canberra
MC Status: 1960

Thanks for your opinion, really interesting stuff!
Yeah I am defiantly in no position to be dictating how people consume my music. I am however more interested in this concept for artists who have a fan base. More another form of music consumption people could do. Now I know it probably won't catch but it was more a thought to see if people would be interested in that sort of medium consumption and if anyone knows if it exists in some form at the moment yet.

But yeah do agree it is a risky option, but if there were enough caveats around it I think people would like that, because like spotify and like you said about lazyness in the average consumer. It could take the pain out of buy albums and just subscribing to an artist for asking as you want ALL THEIR content.

------------------
Adam201 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #4
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

do what you want. you are in the position to dictate how people get your art, its yours! but i think finding an efficient logical way as opposed to something that might require a heavier fan base. but you might have a huge fan base and something like this will work fine probably.

Advertisements

SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote