[Launchpad/Ableton] How do I disable automapping? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: [Launchpad/Ableton] How do I disable automapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxy View Post
The way I've got it set up though, I'm basically only rearranging the LP pads. And I'd forgotten that the standard midi note layout on the LP is missing several notes:
Everything looks cool so far, but I'm still not sure what relevance the default LP layout has on your translators? That default LP layout:

has no bearing on what the output is: You're taking the LP pad input, and defining your own unique output. Am I misunderstanding you here? How does the default LP pad layout affect your output? You're free to make the output whatever you choose.

Advertisements

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #22
Daxy
Regular Freak
Daxy is currently spamming hard
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
MC Status: 10

Hmm.. So currently I'm defining the output as the note corresponding to a specific midi pad. So the translations look something like this

IN: midi pad 24 (row 2 column 4)
OUT: midi pad 43

So when I press pad 24, it gives me the note that was originally set to pad 43 (which is G3). The problem is that not every note is on the default LP layout. Is there a way to set up the translation so that the output has no relation to the LP pads, and instead is based solely off certain notes? For example:

IN: midi pad 24
OUT: note G3
Daxy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxy View Post
Is there a way to set up the translation so that the output has no relation to the LP pads
Yes. Enter whatever values you want into it to output.

THE OUTPUT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEFAULT LP LAYOUT!

The whole point of using Bomes, is that you can take an input midi message and translate it into whatever you want, then output it. So let's say I have a midi keyboard with two keys on it: C1 and D1

My translator can be anything I want:

C1 -> G3
D1 -> B4

Or I can output midi cc:

C1 -> CC32
D1 -> CC108

The output is entirely independent from the input...the input only serves as a trigger for whatever you want the output to be.

How are you getting your output btw...are you capturing midi notes from the LP? I'm trying to understand why you keep on thinking that the default LP pad messages have any relevance to the output .

Edit:
Ok. I used detect midi to detect a pad on my LP for the INCOMING. Then I also used capture midi for the OUTGOING MESSAGE, again from my LP. However - I just used that as a reference and manually changed it. The 90 stays the same - because that's a note on message, and the 7F is for velocity, which also stays the same. The only thing that needs changing are the two middle digits which relate to the midi note. You'll see if you change that string of six numbers [xx] [xx] [xx] that the outgoing midi message will show you exactly what it's doing.

I wasn't aware that values had to be entered in hex, but still - changing the middle values is pretty straightforward and as you go up incrementally so do the note values. Bomes does give the formatting for that and other types of messages:

It's just a matter of getting the correct string, then the correct hex values to populate it, although for the most part you only ever need the hex value for the actual note or the CC value (the two numbers in the middle of the string).

Hope that helps .

Last edited by scyn; 07-01-2014 at 07:10 PM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #24
Daxy
Regular Freak
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

See, I understand what the sets of input/output numbers correspond to. I get that the middle set of numbers is the hex value of each midi note. But in that pic you linked with the LP note values (top of this page), notice how there are certain notes missing from the LP? How do I translate the output to those missing notes if they have no hex value?

Unless, are there more hex values than just those that are mapped to the LP by default?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #25
Daxy
Regular Freak
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Ohhh. I uhh, I think I figured it out..

wavosaur.com/download/midi-note-hex.php

There are hex values corresponding to the midi notes that aren't mapped to the LP by default. Now I get it! Now I get it!

That's what was keeping me from understanding it all along. I just assumed that the hex values mapped to the LP by default were the only hex values that existed. Now I see what you mean when you said the default LP pads weren't related to the hex values! Ahah. I just wasn't making that connection since I thought this whole "hex value" concept was strictly a Launchpad thing.

Hahah, well damn. This was fun, eh? Thanks a ton for being patient and all that jazz. It really means a lot.

Man does it feel great to finally figure this out.

Advertisements