Why the new Hardware subforum? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Closed Thread
Old 13-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts
Re: Why the new Hardware subforum?

OK so perhaps we need a compromise?
If you can come up with a better solution for making the thread easily searchable I'm all ears.
I know the search should work better here but it doesn't and that's out of my hands, but for example if you search 'OP-1' you get no results.
The last general thread we were using had over 6000 posts which is too much to ask anyone to go through on the off chance of finding a gem of info.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 13-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #22
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565480
Thanked 7,491 Times in 5,290 Posts

How about a "What Did you Do With Your Hardware Today?" thread. That way someone can post that they rearranged their stuff, or made a cool patch, or used a new combo of gear. It could collect all those little thoughts and short convos that cant sustain its own post.

I kinda still miss the general thread, but I think more conversation is happening now because topics arent derailing each other.
relic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to relic
RFJ (13-01-2014)
Old 13-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #23
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
OK so perhaps we need a compromise?
If you can come up with a better solution for making the thread easily searchable I'm all ears.
I know the search should work better here but it doesn't and that's out of my hands, but for example if you search 'OP-1' you get no results.
The last general thread we were using had over 6000 posts which is too much to ask anyone to go through on the off chance of finding a gem of info.
Why does it have to be used to find a gem of info? Isn't that what the detailed, specific threads are for?

Not everyone here uses these threads as teaching/learning things. Sometimes, we just like to talk in general about HW-related things.

I think this was what I was afraid of when we were talking about changing things. Maybe I just don't have enough time/information to contribute to more specific threads, and I enjoyed the general HW chat. So maybe I just won't participate here as much as I used, but if other people do then that's what matters. Lose one, gain more is better for the site in general, and I don't want things to change just because of me.

If things are generally better now, then that's great!

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks
Old 13-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #24
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I kinda still miss the general thread, but I think more conversation is happening now because topics arent derailing each other.
But in that way we were all lead to more different topics because things evolved in an organic way.

For instance, I've already stopped learning about modular stuff. I don't dabble in modular stuff at all, but I liked seeing things pop up in the HW thread. I checked them out just because they were there, even though I'd never go out of my way to search for them.

But now that they're in their own thread, I don't need to ever see them.

------------------
Old 13-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #25
D_Davis
Seattle

When I suggested that we have a whole HW sub-forum, I assumed that we would continue having a thread for general HW chat, and that we would used the HW sub-forum for new more in-detailed threads about specific things when they were needed, such as the thread about a drum machine under $200, or a thread about a Synth under $500 - the kind of stuff that tends to get asked a lot.

Stuff like "How to set up MIDI" or "How to Set up a Patch Bay" - these are the kinds of things that need their own thread, because these are the kinds of threads that people will check to learn something.

I think those kinds of threads are very different than what went on in the general HW thread when we had it. That thread was more like the "What are you listening to" or "What games are you playing" threads.

------------------
Old 13-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #26
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565480
Thanked 7,491 Times in 5,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
But in that way we were all lead to more different topics because things evolved in an organic way.

For instance, I've already stopped learning about modular stuff. I don't dabble in modular stuff at all, but I liked seeing things pop up in the HW thread. I checked them out just because they were there, even though I'd never go out of my way to search for them.

But now that they're in their own thread, I don't need to ever see them.
I made a post just to subscribe to the modular thread so it will pop up in the "new posts" feed so I can lurk that thread.

Not to say this solves the issue of that organic conversation your missing, but I feel like Im still following all the discussion I was before.
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 13-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #27
D_Davis
Seattle

As long as other people are liking things, no need for a change.

------------------
Old 14-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I made a post just to subscribe to the modular thread so it will pop up in the "new posts" feed so I can lurk that thread.

Not to say this solves the issue of that organic conversation your missing, but I feel like Im still following all the discussion I was before.
You don't even need to post, you should be able to just subscribe from the thread tools drop down.
Thanks to lolirl
relic (14-01-2014)
Old 14-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #29
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
That's just one example.

There have been multiple things I wanted to discuss during the past couple of weeks, but haven't because they don't deserve their own thread, and so I haven't been as active here as I used to be.

I think a small-talk thread is needed. Sometimes we want to chat, and sometimes we want to talk in depth.
Exactly. The closing of the hardware thread has essentially stopped me coming here for the most part.

I think whoever thought closing the original EPIC general hardware thread was a good idea must not have used it much.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks
Old 14-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #30
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648568
Thanked 4,986 Times in 3,205 Posts

I think relics what did you do with your hardware today thread is a solid idea and a good compromise.

Closing that gargantuan hardware discussion was a solid idea too. Just because its gone doesn't mean there is no opportunity for ddiscussion. The discussions are just more pointed and present an opportunity to help more people who might have been too daunted by posting in the old thread.

Less opportunities to just pop in, spit something about yourself, and leave though; but I think that's actually a positive thing.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Thanks to RFJ
Nyul (14-01-2014)
Old 15-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #31
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Closing that gargantuan hardware discussion was a solid idea too. Just because its gone doesn't mean there is no opportunity for ddiscussion.
Yeah but the spitballing cafe feeling (IE: the reason I posted all the time in that thread) is now gone.

Quote:
Less opportunities to just pop in, spit something about yourself, and leave though; but I think that's actually a positive thing.
Vehemently disagree, it was one of the things that made the thread great & possibly the most popular thread on IDMF of all time.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks
Thanks to aikighost
D_Davis (16-01-2014)
Old 15-01-2014, 12:56 AM   #32
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269479108
Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikighost View Post
possibly the most popular thread on IDMF of all time.
Unfortunately that title goes to "things that piss you off the most"...

And I'm not even joking...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Old 20-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #33
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939

Wtf man, i thought we could have a hw lounge thread. Started one today and it was instantly removed. So the idmf is only a place for wankers to ask what audio interface they need and other dry facts without a place to hang around and see what talented people do with their stuff and other general banter? I guess this is my last post on idmf

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks
Old 21-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #34
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

I think we still need a place for random discussions, like Namm news, genius hardware moments and so forth...
I know they could have their own thread, but it's different.
I like the new forum but I miss the old thread, it was much more lively and interesting. I mean we have a massive thread for people to crywank (things that piss you off the most), why not a thread for general hardware discussion?

------------------
Old 21-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #35
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

Because the crywanks thread don't contain any useful info people might be searching for on the internet?
Old 21-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #36
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939

Ok, but how useful is it for the outside world when I ask d_davis if he still enjoys his bigsky for instance?

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks
Old 21-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

Why post it here at all then?
Why not PM?
Thanks to lolirl
Old 21-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #38
Benwaa

Quote:
You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

just give things a bit of time rather than jumping in and moaning because things have changed a bit. things are always uncomfortable when they change a bit. so maybe give it all a chance before just moaning a week after it was created?
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (21-01-2014)
Old 21-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #39
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

Because on an open conversation someone else might chime in and add something useful or some insight.

It wouldn't replace the hardware forum, but I miss being able to post about that happy incident or something like that, without having to create a thread for it.

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
steeboo (21-01-2014)
Old 21-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #40
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Because on an open conversation someone else might chime in and add something useful or some insight.

It wouldn't replace the hardware forum, but I miss being able to post about that happy incident or something like that, without having to create a thread for it.

social groups? [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

make one?

Advertisements

Thanks
Closed Thread