Korg Volca Beats vs Korg Monotribe
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 15-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts
Korg Volca Beats vs Korg Monotribe

Hey guys and girls,

I would like to get myself one of these little analog drum machines.

Originally I was planning to get the Volca Beats but while searching for it on my local music stores website I also found the Monotribe. Both are made by Korg, cost about the same and claim to be analog rythm machines.

So my question is has anyone had any experience with both of them and can give me a quick (or detailed) summary abotu how they differ? Why would they make two very similar analog drum machines and even sell them for about the same price? Is one better at some things than the other? Do they differ significantly in the way they sound?

Anyway, hope someone can clear this up a bit... thanks in advance!

Advertisements

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Hippot
Soundwave Mangler
Hippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210
Re: Korg Volca Beats vs Korg Monotribe

The monotribe is a synth with the ability to use a triangle, saw, and square wave. I am sure it can be used to make percussion, but the volca beats is more suited to it since it is a replica of sorts for the tr808. You cant really go wrong with the volca beats for 150 dollars if you are looking for a cheap analog (mostly since some of the sounds aren't analog) drum machine that you can mess about with.
Hippot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Hippot
professurreal (15-05-2014)
Old 15-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
methoda1
Learning The Ropes
methoda1 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Don't buy Monotribe if you want a drum machine. It's okay as analog monosynth, but drums are weak sounding and you cant tweak them unless you want to mod your monotribe.
methoda1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to methoda1
Old 15-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565580
Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,291 Posts

Also the Monotribe has no MIDI sync w/o a mod. The Volca Beats is supposed to be pretty cool. MFB also makes a less expensive drum synth/groove box. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Old 15-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel

Cool thanks guys!!! I'll check that one out as well then Relic! However, I have a voucher which my girlfriend gave me for x-mas so if the store does not have the MFB one then it's not an option at this point...

To be honest I wasn't sure what to spend the voucher on and I'm pretty new to hardware so I thought an analog drum machine would be pretty nice and especially at that price there isn't much that can go wrong. I'm also more interested in a drum maschine than in synths...

------------------
Old 17-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Hey just wanted to say I bought the Volca Beats today and so far I'm pretty impressed by this little, relatively inexpensive box. I have never had an analog drum machine before and I think I see what people mean when the speak about the "analog sound". It has a certain roughness and fullness that I guess I find hard to achieve with the software drum kits I have. I'm especially impressed by the kick drum as it has this nice and warm deep thump

Anyway, an investment worth while in my opinion. Now I have to go off and play some more

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
relic (17-05-2014)
Old 17-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

i think the volcas are great little machines! the fun really starts when you sync them together, but you might eventually find yourself getting bored of the volca sound if you use them a lot - this has just made me want to get into effects pedals though.

as for the MFB-522 i got one recently and regret it. it's really cheaply built (stiff potis, buttons unresponsive) and the ranges on the various drum parameters are very limited. the sequencer would be alright once you get used to it if it wasn't for the unprecise tempo knob and a kinda specific issue that ruined it for me:
the 522's play button is deactivated when you start it up in "external sync" mode, which means you cannot start your sequences when syncing from a kaoss pad, you need a DAW or something that can send a "start" command.
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to purplefish
relic (17-05-2014)
Old 17-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565580
Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
i think the volcas are great little machines! the fun really starts when you sync them together, but you might eventually find yourself getting bored of the volca sound if you use them a lot - this has just made me want to get into effects pedals though.

as for the MFB-522 i got one recently and regret it. it's really cheaply built (stiff potis, buttons unresponsive) and the ranges on the various drum parameters are very limited. the sequencer would be alright once you get used to it if it wasn't for the unprecise tempo knob and a kinda specific issue that ruined it for me:
the 522's play button is deactivated when you start it up in "external sync" mode, which means you cannot start your sequences when syncing from a kaoss pad, you need a DAW or something that can send a "start" command.
Thanks for the tips on the MFB. I have considered one from time to time and will take it off the list now!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

MFB comments are not surprising.
My MFB modules feel cheap as shit to the touch. But they sound really really good.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269479158
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,057 Posts

I still want a MFB Kraftzwerg...

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

yeah the drums do sound nice, i particularly like the BD, CP and CB/Clave.
you can crank up the decay on the BD and CP a good amount, but you can only tune the BD and TT a little (although you can switch the TT one octave up and it becomes a conga) and CB, CY & hats all share one tune knob. in comparison with the pitch ranges of the volca it seems really limited, and i don't just mean the PCM samples.
the "filter" and "attack" parameters on the CP only make really subtle changes, there is no decay for the SD and the decay & tune ranges on the hats are just not wide enough for my taste.

to me it felt like i just dished out €280 for a very limited drummachine just because i wanted to be all cool and analog. for that price i would recommend just getting 2 volcas instead.
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I still want a MFB Kraftzwerg...

Advertisements

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote