Building up a song
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 26-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
FoDriZZlE
Knob Twiddler
FoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Building up a song

In most dubstep, electro, trance and many other genres they ¨build¨ up the song by starrting out with maybe 1 or 2 sounds in the intro, and then they put other sounds that goes over those sounds, so the tension builds up and so on...

my question is, am I right, is this a ¨normal¨way of building/starting out on a song and building it up?

My second question is.... if some people do it this way, how do they manage to come up with all these sounds, and how do they make them sound good together?

Im trying to build up my songs like this, just starrting with a clean start, just a simple arp, pad, or a simple chord progression... and then adding other sounds that eventually takes over and sooner completes the song when all the sounds go together further into the song...

I HOPE someone can give me a complete answer to this question, i hope i made everything clear

an example of a song that builds up the sounds is Twistex - Blue Sunday (IM NOT ADVERTISING) ITs just a song im trying to follow, structure wise it gives you an idea of what im talking about

Advertisements

FoDriZZlE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts
Re: Building up a song

For me the best way to find sounds that go together and make a cohesive build is to use my ears. If something doesn't fit or sound right I try something else until it does.

It's an auditory venture in trial and error, with no secret or formula.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
AndyMcG
Soundwave Mangler
AndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Fife
MC Status: 460

For me i start by trying to create a few different sounds that i THINK will fit well together, then ofcourse i try put them together bit by bit, and see how it all fits ... If something doesnt sound right i will tweak it, or add something new in, or sometimes moving it to a new section can also work.

I cant speak for everyone because im sure all Producers work their own way, but for me i do as you said, start with a couple of sounds and then add as the song progresses

------------------
New Track Below ! | On FB - Www.Facebook.Com/AndyMcGMusic | Online Www.AndyMcGOfficial.Com
AndyMcG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Vetke
Learning The Ropes
Vetke is currently spamming hard
North Jutland
MC Status: 10

I don't think you should feel that you have to do the same thing as everyone else. Yes, the start with a few sounds and then build it up is much used and it sounds nice, but if you dare, just experiment!

For sounds to fit, well... Try thinking about what sounds you have. If you have some chords with lots of low end, adding a sub will just mess it up.

Personally I think you should be carefull adding too many sounds. You have to find just the right amount, were your song is "full". It's kinda like balancing.

I hope i could help, even if it was kind of confusing
Vetke is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
AbM
Soundwave Mangler
AbM is a jewel in the roughAbM is a jewel in the roughAbM is a jewel in the rough
Newport, South Wales
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post

It's an auditory venture in trial and error, with no secret or formula.
+1. But also, try and find some sounds from your DAW that you really enjoy working with. Not just sounds that sound like they're from the genre you're trying to re-create, but something you specifically click with. Like I really like automating the pitch and width of a reverb. It's something simple, but really helps me get into my own production, and away from generic song formatting.

Another thing... There are plenty of variations in song structures - they don't necessarily start off simple; some songs just come straight in with the majority of the chorus elements.

Making them sound good... That's all about the mix, baby.

Last edited by AbM; 29-12-2012 at 09:59 PM..
AbM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
BignSlim
Regular Freak
BignSlim is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

its better to be different and do things how u feel is best
BignSlim is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Slignig
Radial Developer
Slignig will become famous soon enoughSlignig will become famous soon enough
Indianapolis, IN
MC Status: 110

Have things start off very open and simple. I usually like to start off with a simple melody or progression that is clean and usually low passed and then it eventually builds up to a "wall of sound." As the intro progresses, I automate the low pass on multiple elements including: white noise, pads, synths, etc. Automating the low pass filter has a really cool energy build effect.

Also, automating the reverb wet/dry has a nice effect. Swell the wet/dry all the way up and drop it back down right before you are about to go into the chorus/drop. Pretty simple effect but builds a lot of energy.

You can choose particular elements or all of the elements to automate. It really depends on what you're going for. Just experiment with a lot different techniques. The more unique a build up, the more interested people will be and surprising the listener is also a good way to create an interesting release from the build up.

Advertisements

------------------
Slignig is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote