[House] InTheAM - When Low [Take Me Higher Ante Meridiem Bootleg]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 02-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
[House] InTheAM - When Low [Take Me Higher Ante Meridiem Bootleg]

So I've had these 90's house a capella vinyls sitting around forever and this is me finally doing something with 'em. Any comments/crits welcome. I honestly threw this together in two sittings today. Might be rough as shrimp. I'm just trying to crank out tracks right now, gonna go back and fine tune the best of the best come late spring/summer and put out a few EPs. This is like a "radio edit" ...going to do a proper DJ length version at some point.

Advertisements

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [House] InTheAM - When Low [Take Me Higher Ante Meridiem Bootleg].
Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Treyt0r
Analog Lurker
Treyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to behold
Sydney
MC Status: 710
Re: [House] InTheAM - When Low [Take Me Higher Ante Meridiem Bootleg]

It has a sort of dinky quality to it, much like a sauce... But in all seriousness it's cool but it seems kind of tame in some places. I admit that I don't know much about the specifics of this type of music but it's really chill (which is good), though I didn't feel like anything popped out to me to make me want to listen to it again.

I loved a lot of the little things you did especially with variations in how you used the sample, but I got a little tired of the same kind of bass riffs. You did change it up later, but it still didn't impact me.

It may be something about the timbre of the bass itself but it overstayed its welcome for me.

I realize this is not my style of music so I may not be one to judge, and you have probably been doing music a lot more than me, but that's well, just like my opinion man.
Cheers.
Treyt0r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyt0r View Post
It has a sort of dinky quality to it, much like a sauce... But in all seriousness it's cool but it seems kind of tame in some places. I admit that I don't know much about the specifics of this type of music but it's really chill (which is good), though I didn't feel like anything popped out to me to make me want to listen to it again.

I loved a lot of the little things you did especially with variations in how you used the sample, but I got a little tired of the same kind of bass riffs. You did change it up later, but it still didn't impact me.

It may be something about the timbre of the bass itself but it overstayed its welcome for me.

I realize this is not my style of music so I may not be one to judge, and you have probably been doing music a lot more than me, but that's well, just like my opinion man.
Cheers.
I fully appriciate your comments! I really threw this together pretty quickly and it repeats a lot of tropes. Could do with some solid variations for sure man. Don't doubt your critique. I'm no expert on this type of music. The bass is maybe a bit forward in the mix, for one. And I could do something to change things up for sure. Maybe even an entirely different bass patch for some parts.

I'll go back to these issues in a revision for sure. I appriciate the thoughts. If you come back to this thread I just have one question--does the "dinky" comment refer to the mix at all? Again--the mix is thrown together too.

I'm hear to learn. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Treyt0r
Analog Lurker
Treyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to behold
Sydney
MC Status: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I fully appriciate your comments! I really threw this together pretty quickly and it repeats a lot of tropes. Could do with some solid variations for sure man. Don't doubt your critique. I'm no expert on this type of music. The bass is maybe a bit forward in the mix, for one. And I could do something to change things up for sure. Maybe even an entirely different bass patch for some parts.

I'll go back to these issues in a revision for sure. I appriciate the thoughts. If you come back to this thread I just have one question--does the "dinky" comment refer to the mix at all? Again--the mix is thrown together too.

I'm hear to learn. Thanks again.
Hey man I want to say that to me, it sounds fairly clean and I liked the tropes too. With a better sense of progression and maybe something stronger? idk. I realize not all music needs to be life changing when you hear it but I just wish I had more to remember about it.

I think that's a good idea for the bass. Maybe think about taking it out in certain areas unless it feels naked without it. Changing the pitch or the patch could very well fix it. It's that syndrome of "I like the sound but I'm not sure I'll like hearing it a hundred times."

As far as being dinky, I'm more referring to the timbre of the synths. It's hard to explain but it's kind of a silly sound. Not a bad thing. Maybe you don't want it to be the strongest feature of this song, but it popped out to me in a good way!

When you revise it I'll be happy to hear it and tell you how different I feel about it!
Treyt0r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Beid
Microknight
Beid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

this ain't no dinky thang, not to me anyway. Has that classic mix quality to it that I really like that I gravitate to. I heard this and then listened to all your other stuff and was shocked by it really, absolutely excellent and followed on sc. I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I know where you're coming from on this track, and it made me smile and look toward all your other music so good work. I really think it is awesome the way you give out advice here and mad props for doing so.
Beid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: absolutely on progression, something more to remember it by. I think I can come up with something there. And yea, the bass is pretty insistent--listening again this morning I think that is spot on. I think a whole other bass patch with different patterns is in order.

Yea, the chord stabs are sitting in a weird way in the mix for sure. I'm hearing that now too. I think I chewed up my ears a little bit working on this yesterday lol.

I also think I'm going to work on some additional percussion patterns for this one. Maybe even change things up from a straight four to the floor beat at parts.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: thanks man, been enjoying your tracks as well. I'll defo give you a follow back. Though I honestly don't get on sound cloud that much. Anyone is always welcome to PM me a track on the forum to have a listen.

I've been after that 90's house vibe for a while. Just something I work on between doing the darker stuff I normally do. Its hard to nail those 7 minute tracks that chug along with only a few elements that don't change much, but yet I'll still listen to the whole damn thing.

Thanks ya'll. Appreciate the support. I'd been in a pretty serious musical rut over the past year or so and now I've got my setup and workflow nailed down and have more ideas than I have time to execute.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Beid
Microknight
Beid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Musical ruts are not a good place to be Just for the record, surprised u say that cause your stuff is so good. I sometimes do weird stuff like start drawing all day or writing all day even tho it is pure shit it keeps the brain in a state of plasticity. Where I'm learning along the way.

Then, I come back to an instrument like damn, where u been?

i know musicians who play so much that they take it all for granted and I think it shows. It doesn't show in your music so I don't think it is anything to worry about. That is what bothers me about live music lately, it has mostly to do with tides, planet alignments, and times of inspiration. It is really hard to play live when u don't feel it, for me anyway. Peace and love!
Beid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

Ive been waiting all day to get to this man - this is nice man - can tell you are dubstepper with this - those off beat stabs give the game away - nice acapella.... im not 100% because im on my non studio headphones, but the kick is dead bassy.... i dont think it is too much, maybe a little bit - i just think that if you tightened up the kick just a tiny bit the groove would be a bit looser.... all the synths are amazing, i like the farty acidy bassline as well, but could do with tucking in just a bit, maybe cut some mid to mid lows (maybe somewhere between 400-1000 out of it.... this kicks man, really like it - all about that sick acapella

if you want to be able to make those chuggers man - if we are talking IDM terms, like LFO - you gotta be patient with the build up, like srat with just the kick, get that metronomic and repetative then build in the elements.... quite often the basslines on these things will be like a small syncopated bassline with like two or three hits over 2 bars.... the basslines are dead minimal and play of the 4x4 - you should def not be changing it up either, keep it 4x4, just be confident with the elements, tease them in over time and subtly modulate them - you dont need much, sometimes if you put too many elements in and not enough silence it seems like you need to change things up, but the best house and techno is very austere IMO.... repetition is ace, been listing to lots of BoC recently, their drums are DEAD repetartive, but it gets you into that hypno state

------------------
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 203910
Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,031 Posts

Well, A, ya know this isn't my usual things..so if I sound like I'm talking out my ass, then it could well be that I'm doing just that. Anyway, here goes..

First off, I really liked this..the vib of it brings back some really fond memories of the late 80s/early 90s and the quality of sound overall is really cool..loved the ending, by the way..that little pop/click effect really nailed it..regardless if it was by design or not..though I suspect it was planned on your part.

The only critical thing I could say about it is it's very much a case of "more of the same" throughout and I feel like you could go back and develop it a little more in general. I don't really know how you would do this..like I said at the start, this isn't really my sound, so I'm not 100% sure, but maybe putting a few solo pieces in there somehow, as well as fading in and out of a few random elements..I don't know. I guess you get what I mean.

That said, I still think this is a cracker of a piece, given it was done in two sitting over the course of a day..kudos, dude..and a job/s to keep as well, no less. WOuld sincerely like to see where this one goes in the end..if you do take it anywhere, that is.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #10
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Well, A, ya know this isn't my usual things..so if I sound like I'm talking out my ass, then it could well be that I'm doing just that. Anyway, here goes..

First off, I really liked this..the vib of it brings back some really fond memories of the late 80s/early 90s and the quality of sound overall is really cool..loved the ending, by the way..that little pop/click effect really nailed it..regardless if it was by design or not..though I suspect it was planned on your part.

The only critical thing I could say about it is it's very much a case of "more of the same" throughout and I feel like you could go back and develop it a little more in general. I don't really know how you would do this..like I said at the start, this isn't really my sound, so I'm not 100% sure, but maybe putting a few solo pieces in there somehow, as well as fading in and out of a few random elements..I don't know. I guess you get what I mean.

That said, I still think this is a cracker of a piece, given it was done in two sitting over the course of a day..kudos, dude..and a job/s to keep as well, no less. WOuld sincerely like to see where this one goes in the end..if you do take it anywhere, that is.
Actually sitting down to try and address that very issue at the moment. I appreciate the comments as always, I'll keep a look out for anything new of yours to listen to...I don't often go out and look for things to listen to on HearThis or SC...but you know you can PM me.

I like especially it brings back memories, defo chasing that early house sound.

PS: Yea, the little blip at the end was me accidently scratch the needle against the record when recording the vocal...lol...I thought...fuck it, I'll leave it!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #11
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 203910
Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,031 Posts

Yeah, man..it worlds really well..nice one.

Regards my stuff..still plodding away each day..it's coming together much slower than I originally thought it would, but I've been doing a lot of other stuff on the side for other folks, too..so still kept busy in "the studio".

Hoping to be looking at a release late Easter/early Summer..fingers crossed.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote