how to make more interesting beats for dance music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Closed Thread
Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 06-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460
how to make more interesting beats for dance music?

So far all my songs have mainly or all been literally kick-clap-kick-clap, disco beat kinda thing. With most often an off beat bass.

Its getting real boring and making my songs sound the same..all the same beat just different melodies.

But when i listen to dance/trance this most often is the beat?

However, sometimes you get songs like this

But i understand thats just samples and samples from funk music, funky beats etc

but anyway my songs are getting dull due to all being literally like

Kick-1,2,3,4
Clap-2,4
Hi hat-every 3rd beat on the 1/16ths.

Advertisements

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: how to make more interesting beats for dance music?

Well you could start by just forcing yourself to not make the same beat over and over again...also, load up a song from one of your favorite artists in your DAW and try to recreate the beat to see what they are doing. Also, a nice rolling hand drum rhythm sounds quite nice on 4x4 stuff quite often. Find a sample pack that has different hits from the same drum rim and center hits at different velocities. I like to use 3-samples. I get something decent going, then had a delay. You'll have to play around with the settings but the delay will help you get that "rolling" feeling.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Well you could start by just forcing yourself to not make the same beat over and over again...also, load up a song from one of your favorite artists in your DAW and try to recreate the beat to see what they are doing. Also, a nice rolling hand drum rhythm sounds quite nice on 4x4 stuff quite often. Find a sample pack that has different hits from the same drum rim and center hits at different velocities. I like to use 3-samples. I get something decent going, then had a delay. You'll have to play around with the settings but the delay will help you get that "rolling" feeling.
cool you mean like this?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post
But i understand that's just samples and samples from funk music, funky beats etc
Yes, that is samples... of beats, syncopated beats, look it up, that should get you headed in the right direction. don't need to sample them either, if somebody could play them by hand, you can definitely program something similar, if not infinitely more complex.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
Yes, that is samples... of beats, syncopated beats, look it up, that should get you headed in the right direction. don't need to sample them either, if somebody could play them by hand, you can definitely program something similar, if not infinitely more complex.
putting kicks/snare/claps on the weaker beats such as 3/16 4/16 etc

------------------
Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

Open up fruityloops, open the step sequencer, and click the "Make My Beats Interesting" button, making sure the light for it turns green (on).

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiSho View Post
Open up fruityloops, open the step sequencer, and click the "Make My Beats Interesting" button, making sure the light for it turns green (on).

i dont have that one..you must have some special edition one or something?

------------------
Thanks to JayMSay
Lug (07-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080314
Thanked 1,233 Times in 833 Posts

tis but a clever ruse

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks
Thanks to ab
PROton42 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
TamagoNoise7
Analog Lurker
TamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud of
Canton, OH
MC Status: 1060

Just keep writing stuff and figure out what works for you, if you find it interesting, chances are someone else will too.. so i would say it comes down to persistence and practice. also, having a sense of rhythm couldn't hurt either. However, the "make my beats interesting" button does seem tempting.
TamagoNoise7 is offline   Thanks
Thanks to TamagoNoise7
JayMSay (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

scyn is offline   Thanks
Thanks to scyn
JayMSay (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

learn them drums
Numerical is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Numerical
Oatbag (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Study rhythm.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks
Thanks to PROton42
Oatbag (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Swing, syncopation, ghost-notes, hang/lag, polyrhythms, shuffle, triplets, accenting, flams, etc etc

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Evelon
PROton42 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #14
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

Ev, Did you mean Livecut?

------------------
Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #15
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Shit42 View Post
Ev, Did you mean Livecut?
No...but if it works it works! (which if I remember correctly, it was a bit tricky to set up).

OP: A midi controller will do. Even if you suck at playing along to click, MIDI has swing, groove templates, humanization, randomness, velocity and velocity variation, etc.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Evelon
PROton42 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #16
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Yeah I was making a joke. I do happen to use livecut extensively and love midi mapping everything I possibly can on it. The bitcrusher on it has a lot of good use for rhythmic crushed sounds with something of a random variation on them (modified by seed and duty).

The "squarepusher" function on it is super silly too.

It's a fun tool and pretty relevant to the topic as well. :3

------------------
Thanks to PROton42
Evelon (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #17
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128526

why do you even want to make music
lebeux is offline   Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
DChowski
Minor Glitch
DChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MC
MC Status: 46727567

there are a lot of 4x4 songs that are lacking hi hats in the main portions entirely; if not on an odd timing with some side-chain. a lot of groove with those fixed beats come from the bass lines/synths. you might wanna focus on the composition first, and worry about the beat later.
DChowski is offline   Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
Lug
Savage Mad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80997030
Thanked 4,136 Times in 2,684 Posts

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Lug
PROton42 (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
SquareTheCircle
Microknight
SquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Are we sure the kick drum is the problem?

Advertisements

SquareTheCircle is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread