vid: m4st3rb4ss - Fucking Around Ep. 1 - Electro Set
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 19-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
m4st3rb4ss
Learning The Ropes
m4st3rb4ss is currently spamming hard
The Rio Grande Valley, South Texas
MC Status: 10
vid: m4st3rb4ss - Fucking Around Ep. 1 - Electro Set

This is me messing around with an electro set that I will be performing next week. Still need to do alot on each individual channel. Using Ableton Live, an APC40 and a Maschine as a vst. I've only been doing electronica since January and this Saturday will be my second ever electronica gig.

What you all think?

Advertisements

m4st3rb4ss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - vid: m4st3rb4ss - Fucking Around Ep. 1 - Electro Set.
Old 19-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
SpinVector
Soundscaper
SpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MC
melbs
MC Status: 6892084
Re: vid: m4st3rb4ss - Fucking Around Ep. 1 - Electro Set

Those chromatic arpeggios are a bit much after a while. You should use in box audio for your vids, would make it way better.

Really cool you're getting out there with hardware and mixing it up. It's an awesome way to learn the artform. Good on yah! All the best for the gig.
SpinVector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

Don't really know what you're looking for- critique on the music? or the performance techniques?

Both I think would benefit from some more tender love and care. The music is really repetitive, and has no motion. All tension and no release. And the melodies you're playing on the maschine aren't really doing it for me.

Some of the effects went into some interesting territory, but could also use more variety. Short delays with high feedback can be cool occasionally, but you need to expand on it.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but putting together a convincing electronic performance can be challenging.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
m4st3rb4ss
Learning The Ropes
m4st3rb4ss is currently spamming hard
The Rio Grande Valley, South Texas
MC Status: 10

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still new to this so any bit of critique helps, especially from people who know what they are talking about.

Yeah I know them arps were a little much, but I was looking for a sound to take up space in the music... I was thinking less intruments fuller sound. I guess I thought wrong, lol. Yeah need to figure something out for those.

I know the music is repetitive but idk, it's seems to be what the zombies on the dance floor want... at least the ones around here. My first show was like an old school dubstep set and all they kept telling me was play something faster. All the zombies want is four on the floor. I haven't really figured out how to do the build ups and the drops. I know how to program them just don't know hoe to cue them in live. I'm mainly a blues musician and I'm real into improvisation, so I'm trying to figure out a way for my set to have that sort of dynamic... when I started this set I didn't know what I was gonna play, I was just winging it. As far as the melody on the Maschine, I was going for an industrial tyoe lead. Again, it's what the zombies want. I'm just lucky I have a place to play once a month so I want to keep them happy, lol.

The effects need work and more variety, looking back now.... I think that's obvious, lol. They were kinda rushed, I didn't really know what they were gonna sound like everything was on the fly. Just need to spend more time on them.

Yeah I know I kinda suck, but I'm not scared to get out there and do shit. I don't have anybody to really help me out with anything. Everything I learned I got from manuals or tutorials, I'm just trying to figure out how to do this live. I still need A LOT of work. So anything you all have to say helps, thanks.
m4st3rb4ss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC

One thing I like to do to create variety in my sets is to have short clips for drums, basslines and leads in my live set, and trigger them live in quick succession, so I am actually playing all the music. it provides freedom, and it can really help to break up the monotony

------------------
Old 22-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
SpinVector
Soundscaper
SpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MC
melbs
MC Status: 6892084

A punter goes up to a wedding DJ and asks "Can you play something faster to get this place jumping?" He replies, totally sincerely "Sure! Rick Astley ok?".
A punter goes up to a electronica artist and asks "Can you play something faster to get this place jumping?" He just rolls his eyes and winks at the punter's girlfriend.

If there's no scene for the stuff you like, don't make it an excuse for not putting the effort in. Realise you've got an oppertunity to stand out as something different. If you keep doing it, poeple are ging to take notice. Those "zombies" are potential supporters of your art. You have to win them over first before they'll show you some signs of life.

peace.

Last edited by SpinVector; 22-11-2011 at 07:52 PM..
SpinVector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinVector View Post
A punter goes up to a wedding DJ and asks "Can you play something faster to get this place jumping?" He replies, totally sincerely "Sure! Rick Astley ok?".
A punter goes up to a electronica artist and asks "Can you play something faster to get this place jumping?" He just rolls his eyes and winks at the punter's girlfriend.

If there's no scene for the stuff you like, don't make it an excuse for not putting the effort in. Realise you've got an oppertunity to stand out as something different. If you keep doing it, poeple are ging to take notice. Those "zombies" are potential supporters of your art. You have to win them over first before they'll show you some signs of life.

peace.
Nice one man- that is my exact philosophy when writing music.

Advertisements

------------------