What Was Your Experience Moving Back From Hardware to ITB?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565280
Thanked 7,487 Times in 5,286 Posts
What Was Your Experience Moving Back From Hardware to ITB?

Hey all,

So, I’ve gone completely back in the box for drums. I’m falling in love with the U-he Repro bundle. I dismanteled my hardware setup to take to a friends house and have very little desire to hook it back up. I’m actually thinking of selling my last three synths and using some of the funds to get either Bazzile or Zebra from U-he and the Fab Filter creative bundle. I’m using someone else’s license (legally) currently and Volcano + Saturn + whatever their delay is called is a sound design playground.

I also do have my iPad with a ton of synth apps if I want a hardware feel...lol...

So I guess my question is, who has transitioined from using all/some hardware to just ITB and what was that like? Positive/negative experiences?

Basically right now my process is to record my inital loops from hardware and after that its basically all DAW. I’ve got a considerable amount of money tied up in ...ehhh...15-20% of my process (maybe less). Now I realize that could be the most important 20%. I don’t care about live hardware jams really.

My plan is to leave it all unsetup for a while and work just ITB before I do anything. Truthfully, I could use the money. I don’t absolutely HAVE to sell any of it to work those things out.

I currently have MS20, M32 and A4. I thought about selling all but the A4, but then it seemed kind dumb to just keep it.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55760
Thanked 1,115 Times in 735 Posts
Re: What Was Your Experience Moving Back From Hardware to ITB?

I have much more space since selling 90% of my hardware, if nothing else. I went so far as to switch from acoustic drums to electronic, and guitar modelling units to those that are VST-based, and honestly I don't really feel like I've lost anything. Ditto on synths, effects units and otherwise.

Maybe it's because I'm among some of the younger people here, but being a 'digital native' made the transition smooth, and I could never really afford top shelf gear to begin with due to a lack of resources and being really scattered in my interests. Going ITB just gives me access to all of them at once, so I'd rather never get back into the gear lust line of thinking.

I did the same thing with gaming and digital art. I guess I just prefer computers because I'm a weirdo who loves having back problems.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (05-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28510

I only have a midi controller, and I sometimes think getting that was too much hardware. For me, it is just so convenient to pull out my laptop, plug in headphones, and be "in the studio". Hardware (if you call a midi controller hardware) was a valuable learning tool for me, but I have that knowledge now. The only thing I'd buy a synth for now is as a conversation piece, and I don't have people at my place more than a few times a year, so yeah. The only bad thing about it is, sometimes, I feel like I'm back at work when I sit down to do some of the housekeeping in a mix (all the EQ, etc) because I work on computers with numbers all day and then I'm home working with numbers on a computer at night. But I don't know if a hardware interface would help with that feeling or not, and I've better learned to separate the two over the past few months.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32710

Dude, I almost feel like linking all your post in the hardware thread where you are gushing all over how awesome that trio is!
Maybe a break from them is all you need.
But if you do go back itb, do yourself a favour and get an amazing controller, push or maschine (you used to have one right?) etc.
Plus we would miss you too much in the hardware thread!
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
mnkvolcno (06-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:03 AM   #5
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I have much more space since selling 90% of my hardware, if nothing else. I went so far as to switch from acoustic drums to electronic, and guitar modelling units to those that are VST-based, and honestly I don't really feel like I've lost anything. Ditto on synths, effects units and otherwise.

Maybe it's because I'm among some of the younger people here, but being a 'digital native' made the transition smooth, and I could never really afford top shelf gear to begin with due to a lack of resources and being really scattered in my interests. Going ITB just gives me access to all of them at once, so I'd rather never get back into the gear lust line of thinking.

I did the same thing with gaming and digital art. I guess I just prefer computers because I'm a weirdo who loves having back problems.
The space would really be appriciated in my studio, though I could spend more time keeping it tidy. Iím only 35 and consider myself a digital native. We had a computer in our house since I was in 1st grade and was lucky enough to go to a school where we started using them just as early. I actually started all ITB.

The question seems to be if Iím really getting something out of them I canít with software and if they are ultimately slowing me down. FPCóFL Studioís native sample based drum VSTóhas been like a revelation. I love drum machines, but for what I do they really just slow the process down compared working with software.

I do also just get enjoyment out of fooling around on a hardware synth and I worry I loose an important modicum of inspiration. I have no issues cheaping my studio CPU in pretty good running conditioin. Luckily I can do most of my work stuff on a tablet.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Vault O))) (06-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #6
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I only have a midi controller, and I sometimes think getting that was too much hardware. For me, it is just so convenient to pull out my laptop, plug in headphones, and be "in the studio". Hardware (if you call a midi controller hardware) was a valuable learning tool for me, but I have that knowledge now. The only thing I'd buy a synth for now is as a conversation piece, and I don't have people at my place more than a few times a year, so yeah. The only bad thing about it is, sometimes, I feel like I'm back at work when I sit down to do some of the housekeeping in a mix (all the EQ, etc) because I work on computers with numbers all day and then I'm home working with numbers on a computer at night. But I don't know if a hardware interface would help with that feeling or not, and I've better learned to separate the two over the past few months.
I totally get this way of thinking. I started with a laptop and headphones, its a big difference being tethered to instruments and a recording and midi interface. Having started ITB where ever I end up Iíll always appreciate the experience. I learned a lot of valuable experience Iíve turned into knowledge working with hardware that I donít think would have come another way.

I use a computer a lot as a teacher, but it doesnít bother me to use one for my hobby. I can with your type of job where that would be different though for sure.

TBF, I think a lot of synths gearheads buy are mostly conversation pieces. Not that I do anything amazing with my gear, but I get lots of use out of it when I get in the studio.

------------------
Old 05-03-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Dude, I almost feel like linking all your post in the hardware thread where you are gushing all over how awesome that trio is!
Maybe a break from them is all you need.
But if you do go back itb, do yourself a favour and get an amazing controller, push or maschine (you used to have one right?) etc.
Plus we would miss you too much in the hardware thread!
Very fair play! I this seems a pretty absurd thought from me at this stage. And I’d think continue to gush about that combo even if I didn’t own it. And I really do a think I need a seachange for a moment. Getting back into DJing is part of what is throwing a wrench into the works. The funny thing about Maschine is that I used the software with a mouse 90% of the time.

Even if I did go back ITB, I would still talk shop about gear.

This is like one of those old Marvel “What If...” comics... We’ve had a lot of nice weather lately and I feel like a little manic. Unfortunately a SAD sufferer here so a week of warm weather and sun in Febraury leaves me high energy and with even less impulse control than normal.

Sorry if this has suddenly become TMI : )

Last edited by relic; 05-03-2018 at 03:21 AM..

------------------
Old 05-03-2018, 03:52 AM   #8
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64310
Thanked 1,286 Times in 949 Posts

Iím undecided. I honestly find working with Maschine to be my happy place. I donít think all that hardware has really done a thing for my progression, other than being very familiar with MIDI. Hardware sampling sounds nice, but in all honesty, I have yet to find any sound or FX where I genuinely would have to say that you need hardware for that.

Never a need to remember how that audio patchbay was set up, how that MIDI patchbay is configured. Why do I hear only the left channel from my Rytm? Where is that humm coming from.

ITB you push the button and it goes. Crazy modulation... go get Reason and LFO everything.

Also: Bazille, Fab-Filter Bundle, Sountoys 5, U-He Satin, and Tube Tech Classic channel all amongst my go to plugs. Fab-Filter Pro-R reverb is super lush.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 39110

Having owned a crapload of hardware through the years, I'm of the mind that these days you can get just as good of sounds ITB as out of it. I've never heard a piece of hardware that was so mind-blowingly different or better that I simply had to own it instead of whatever emulator or similar program, with the exception of actual instruments (like a guitar or cello, mostly because I like the physicality of playing them).

If raw sound is off the table, then it comes down to workflow. I think people gravitate towards the immediate tactile response and limitations of hardware as a way to spark creativity. That's totally legit, but it varies from person to person. I do love twisting the filter on a Moog and hearing that fat sweep. I also like the flexibility of having lots of possible workflows ITB, whereas hardware has a certain way you have to do everything.

The downside of that flexibility for me is option paralysis. I've got more reverbs than I know what to do with, and I can lose a day to A/Bing them on a track and not print a damn thing. In my experience, that's fairly rare when working with hardware because you have what you have and you're working within those parameters.

And fuck menu driven hardware with tiny screens. Fuck them right in their ear. I'll take my multiple monitors any day. That shit alone is enough to keep me away from a majority of modern digital hardware.

Mostly, I think working entirely on hardware and eschewing any ITB stuff is sort of like building a chest-of-drawers without touching a power tool - it's totally possible, people have done it that way for ages; it teaches you a lot about what you're doing and the history of the craft; it's a sort of rite of passage and badge of honor; and it's a really shitty way to work in this day and age if you're trying to feed your family. It's not cheating to use all the tools available to you.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #10
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Iíve actually been doing a lot itb lately.
I sťquence reason synths from my mpc, play guitar with sims maybe half the time.
I basically use my computer as a rack of hardware if you will.
BUT I am feel like the things liquid talks about is whatís missing this way.
A reall noise floor, a humming tube amp etc. I donít want much in terms of gear these days but I would love an old synth or some effect box to just add that noise.
I was thinking some old bust ass preamp or something, low fi as hell.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9160

I guess I'll be the rotten apple then. I started out ITB. Had workflow issues, so decided to give hardware a go. Went for something modern and at the time new. It was a bad move. 4 bars FFS. Then I got my first old piece of hardware. Something people slated for various reasons. 256 bars max for one section of a pattern. 16 sections in a pattern, all of which can have their own time signature. I don't make loops on hardware. I make songs. usually recorded in a single take. The way I feel, when I finally nail that take, compared to the feeling from copy pasting stuff on a timeline more than makes up for the negatives. My setup is old, lofi, clunky, and often temperamental. The thought of going back ITB makes me cringe. But at the end of the day, it's what suits YOU best, not me.

1 piece of advice though. Do NOT get rid of your MS, as you will surely need it sooner or later. Probably sooner.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
Į\(į_o)/Į
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Hey all,

So, Iíve gone completely back in the box for drums. Iím falling in love with the U-he Repro bundle. I dismanteled my hardware setup to take to a friends house and have very little desire to hook it back up. Iím actually thinking of selling my last three synths and using some of the funds to get either Bazzile or Zebra from U-he and the Fab Filter creative bundle. Iím using someone elseís license (legally) currently and Volcano + Saturn + whatever their delay is called is a sound design playground.

I also do have my iPad with a ton of synth apps if I want a hardware feel...lol...

So I guess my question is, who has transitioined from using all/some hardware to just ITB and what was that like? Positive/negative experiences?

Basically right now my process is to record my inital loops from hardware and after that its basically all DAW. Iíve got a considerable amount of money tied up in ...ehhh...15-20% of my process (maybe less). Now I realize that could be the most important 20%. I donít care about live hardware jams really.

My plan is to leave it all unsetup for a while and work just ITB before I do anything. Truthfully, I could use the money. I donít absolutely HAVE to sell any of it to work those things out.

I currently have MS20, M32 and A4. I thought about selling all but the A4, but then it seemed kind dumb to just keep it.
I would base your decision on which alternative is the most productive for your workflow.

if hardware only serves you 20% or less...
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fid
relic (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #13
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478858
Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,054 Posts

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: I'm closely monitoring this thread for any signs of apostasy.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #14
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
All Praise Analog!

------------------
Old 05-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #15
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelium View Post
I would base your decision on which alternative is the most productive for your workflow.

if hardware only serves you 20% or less...
Most important 20%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Should we gather a mob? Iíll get my best pitchfork!
Old 06-03-2018, 12:31 AM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64310
Thanked 1,286 Times in 949 Posts

Hardware is all a scam. Analog in particular.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
jbvdb493 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #17
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110600
Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,419 Posts

But what about the SOUL?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #18
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
But what about the SOUL?
Drum machines ain't got no soul.

------------------
Old 07-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
Į\(į_o)/Į
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,986 Posts

Quote:
All Praise Analog!
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42405299
Thanked 5,426 Times in 3,528 Posts

Quote:
Drum machines ain't got no soul.
Teddybears!

Advertisements

------------------
I know I should post my own stuff here but I prefer to link you goodness:

IDMf: Outside of porn, best cunts on the internet.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote