Yet another "help me" thread (Ableton Live)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 23-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Slipstreamer
Microknight
Slipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really nice
Grahamstown
MC Status: 410
Yet another "help me" thread (Ableton Live)

Hello, ye gods of IDMF

So I've been messing about with music production for a while now, as a natural extension to DJing, but its only in the last couple of months since I acquired Ableton Live that I've started to get serious about it. I'm having serious difficulty, though, wrapping my head around the actual process of composing with Ableton. With the few half-arsed attempts at tracks I made using FL Studio, I would try to literally write out the entire track using the piano roll, layer by layer, note by note, but I gather that this is an extremely awkward and inefficient way to compose electronic music, and one that doesn't translate at all well to Ableton's setup. I'm starting to get my head around the idea of clips, scenes and loops, and I can compose short little drum, synth and melody loops, but as to putting them all together into a coherent 8 or 9 minute track... I'm totally stumped. Any pointers would be hugely appreciated. I'm mainly interested in minimal techno/minimal house and the wonkier ends of dubstep, if that helps.

P.S. Also, can anyone give me any tips on sound synthesis using Ableton's Operator? I understand that its a very powerful piece of software, but right now it's a closed book to me.

Advertisements

Slipstreamer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Hercules & Love Affair - Blind
Old 23-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège
MC Status: 1900678
Re: Yet another "help me" thread (Ableton Live)

Hi [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

There are plenty of tutorial videos about that on youtube. Personally I learned Ableton with Tom Cosm' tutorials. There are already some very nice ones for free ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
) and if you sign in as Pro Member (very cheap), you'll find complete courses on all the subjects you mention.

A lot better, but more expensive are Quantize Courses ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
). There are some free tutorials there and the online courses are pure gold!

Hope this help,

Regards,

Luc

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Slipstreamer
Microknight
Slipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really nice
Grahamstown
MC Status: 410

Thanks for the tip! I'm having serious issues with my internet connection at the moment (just loading these forums takes forever), so unfortunately Youtube videos are not a possibility in the foreseeable future, hence why I came on here looking for some more traditional text-based advice... although I realise that its almost impossible to tell someone how to do this, and far easier to just show them.
Slipstreamer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstreamer View Post
but right now it's a closed book to me.
How is the manual a closed book?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
How is the manual a closed book?
Not to mention the shitload of inbuilt tutorials Ableton has; [hint:check the help menu]

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
I'm starting to get my head around the idea of clips, scenes and loops, and I can compose short little drum, synth and melody loops, but as to putting them all together into a coherent 8 or 9 minute track... I'm totally stumped. Any pointers would be hugely appreciated.
It seems as if you're trying to create a track in Session view, which is mainly for performing & generating ideas. Switch over to Arrangement:

...and you'll have your typical linear time-line view.

Quote:
P.S. Also, can anyone give me any tips on sound synthesis using Ableton's Operator? I understand that its a very powerful piece of software, but right now it's a closed book to me.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

If internet is a problem - internet cafe & download some operator tutorials from youtube. I'm not suggesting that you won't get any tips here - it's just that it's a huge topic and it might help if you knew what you wanted to use it for (Drum synthesis, Bass, Pads etc) and had covered some of the basics yourself.

Last edited by scyn; 24-01-2012 at 10:14 AM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Neutr4l Numb3r
Granular Poster
Neutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MC
MC Status: 3363137

Quote:
Hello, ye gods of IDMF

So I've been messing about with music production for a while now, as a natural extension to DJing, but its only in the last couple of months since I acquired Ableton Live that I've started to get serious about it. I'm having serious difficulty, though, wrapping my head around the actual process of composing with Ableton. With the few half-arsed attempts at tracks I made using FL Studio, I would try to literally write out the entire track using the piano roll, layer by layer, note by note, but I gather that this is an extremely awkward and inefficient way to compose electronic music, and one that doesn't translate at all well to Ableton's setup. I'm starting to get my head around the idea of clips, scenes and loops, and I can compose short little drum, synth and melody loops, but as to putting them all together into a coherent 8 or 9 minute track... I'm totally stumped. Any pointers would be hugely appreciated. I'm mainly interested in minimal techno/minimal house and the wonkier ends of dubstep, if that helps.

Hey man. I was an FL Studio user who switched to Live months back.I was in the same boat as you. Don't sweat it, seriously. It takes time to get used to. Just stick with it. Spend a good chunk of time by looking up tutorials on Youtube and then bookmarking them for future reference.

------------------
Neutr4l Numb3r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Svenny
Regular Freak
Svenny is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

When you have an idea for a track start making clips and get the rough ideas down. Make the drum beat, all the different sounds and stuff you want in the track. Then go over to arrangement and start laying out the track how you want it. After that you go in and make changes so the track doesn't get to repetitive, add effects and so on. In the end do the finishing mix and master.

Atleast something like this is how my workflow is.
Svenny is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
sythetic future
Granular Poster
sythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MCsythetic future is a savage MC
MC Status: 39657

The beautiful thing about ableton is there isn't one way to do anything! The more you play with it and become familiar with it the more ways you find out how to do things. I dont know if I have produced more that 3 songs with the same approach to composition!

------------------
ANother one!
sythetic future is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Svenny
Regular Freak
Svenny is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sythetic future View Post
The beautiful thing about ableton is there isn't one way to do anything! The more you play with it and become familiar with it the more ways you find out how to do things. I dont know if I have produced more that 3 songs with the same approach to composition!
So true, there are so many oppertunities. Find a way you like
Svenny is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #11
peteryellow
IDMf's latest spammer
peteryellow is currently spamming hard

I am using every version of Ableton live Suite since years, i love the performance it is getting especially in the version 9
peteryellow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #12
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O)))
MC Status: -2147482147
Thanked 1,169 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteryellow View Post
I am using every version of Ableton live Suite since years, i love the performance it is getting especially in the version 9
There are much more modern Live threads 'round these parts
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
relic (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud of
Munich
MC Status: 1010

Instead of painting notes in piano roll editor, you can play them while recording and quantise afterwards.

Or you play them step by step. Arm the track for record, click the headphone/prelisten-button and place the cursor to the start of the piano roll editor so the cursor is at the beginning, play a note and hold it and press the right cursor Key. The cursor then advances to the next step and the note is being painted into the editor. Then play the next note holding and press right cursor button aso....

Advertisements

Plague is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote