BB71- The 80's
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles Beat Battle's happen here.

Old 22-01-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 11760
BB71- The 80's

The theme for this BB is the 80's. The 80's see the birth of lots of new electronic music genres, styles and techniques. Take an 80's genre, style or artist and do your own spin on that sound. You're welcome to modernize it if you want, just take some inspiration, run with it and share what it is in a sentence or two with your submission.

The samples are abundant, so the challenge isn't really to bend them to your will but really get to know and explore some of the techniques that give the 80's production styles their own flavor. I've included free sample packs of staple 80's drum machines: LinnDrum and Oberheim DMX and the Fairlight CMI synth.

The rules:

1. Keep it shortish and concise- max 4min.

2. Have a bit of structural variation. As in more than one "chord progression". If you're doing something that isn't reliant on chord changes just interpret the rule in your own way, just introduce some kind of structural change.

3. You can add one instance of an instrument or vst or sampler of your own choice.

Additionally: Feel free to add a vocal sample or your own singing.

Most of all have fun!

The samples:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a ...Wednesday. (THIS TIME ON A SUNDAY)
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 11 days later (Sunday)(THIS TIME ON A THURSDAY)

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (Tuesday)(THIS TIME SATURDAY haha) .

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day Wednesday(SUNDAY), to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

THE TIMES ARE CHAOTIC AND CHAOS IS GOOD!

All times are UTC

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.
Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Last edited by 7asid; 05-02-2018 at 02:11 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (22-01-2018)
Old 27-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Iyashi Sound
Sample Destroyer
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 10860
Re: BB71- The 80's

This article has some interesting information about the production techniques of Stock, Aitken and Waterman:

Iyashi Sound is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Iyashi Sound
Sample Destroyer
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC

Hey there.

Just dropping by to say that I'm actually working on something. I got kind of fascinated by the aesthetic of that Rick Astley track, and have been trying to imitate it. Basically by rick-rolling myself continuously

It's been good fun so far though!

Apart from samples from the sample-pack, I'm using the Ableton Operator FM-synth for the bassline (since I don't own a DX7). I'd really love it if Yamaha would release a stand-alone hardware version of the FM-X system from the Montage series (which I can't really afford right now), - since the Reface DX is very limited in comparison.

But anyway: I'll be cutting it close to the deadline this time probably, since I have a lot of other stuff that needs attention atm.

Is anyone else working on something?

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 30-01-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (31-01-2018)
Old 31-01-2018, 01:51 AM   #5
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver

Yeah that article was an awesome read. I also bumped into this:

I'm working on something but I need a kick of energy and inspiration to bring it home. I was gonna do guitar for the extra instrument but now I'm not sure that it will fit the vibe. I'll def have a submission though.

It might just be us two this time around hahah

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (31-01-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Iyashi Sound
Sample Destroyer

Hello again.

This is probably my most bizarre submission for Beat Battles yet. It isn't intended to make fun of Stock, Aitken and Waterman though (although it does sound a bit funny). If anything, my respect for those guys is greater now than it was two weeks ago

NB: This is a recording straight from an analogue mixer, without any form of post-mastering, so the volume isn't super loud. But if you turn it up - it should have you dancing in no time!

PS:

I tried doing the strange : "200‑millisecond delay, slightly filtered and then fed into a very small room‑type effect", mentioned in the article.

I placed the reverb on a return track so I could send from all tracks into the same effect. At 115bpm (relatively slow for a S.A.W. production) 200 ms pre-delay sounded too far out of synch, but after adjusting the timing for a while, I ended up at 246ms. (slightly shorter than an 8th note). All sounds in the mix except the kick-drum has more or less of this "special sauce" added to it.

All sounds are from the sample pack except for the bassline, which is Ableton's Operator. For the lead synth sound I had to use a granular sampler in order to be able to play longer notes than the original sample allowed (I used Robert Henke's: "Granulator II").

Thanks!
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 02:01 AM   #7
7asid
Soundscaper
Vancouver

Here's mine. I was going to use guitar for my additional instrument originally but then it didn't seem like it would fit and after that I ran out of time so I've only used the samples.

At first i was going for more of a 80's Prince thing influence wise but it took itself more towards a new order/depeche mode direction. I fucked around alot trying to find a good complimentary progression to the main riff and ended up just going back to what I originally had but that made me do some research on chord progressions that should be helpful for me in the future if not for this track.

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (02-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
Iyashi Sound
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
Here's mine.]
This is good fun

Listening to your track, I've especially enjoyed the drum-programming and fills. You clearly have skills for fills (and thrills?).

The sound of the snare and "toms" is super cool. Did you use gated reverbs for those?

..or maybe resamples with reverb already on the individual drum-samples?

hmm..

The overall compression of the mix is perhaps a bit too strong. Especially in the last half of the track, the intensifying synth-sounds end up working against the groove rather than with it (by gradually forcing the drum/groove into the background - and making the feeling "more chaotic").

So, if you decided to work more on this later, I'd suggest fiddling with compressor timing settings, - to try and make the synths "swell and ebb" in ways that make them sit better with the groove. I realise of course that it's easier said than done, and that I'm getting into nitpicking territory with this - so please take it with a grain of salt

PS: You have my vote!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:12 AM   #9
7asid
Soundscaper
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Hello again.

This is probably my most bizarre submission for Beat Battles yet. It isn't intended to make fun of Stock, Aitken and Waterman though (although it does sound a bit funny). If anything, my respect for those guys is greater now than it was two weeks ago

NB: This is a recording straight from an analogue mixer, without any form of post-mastering, so the volume isn't super loud. But if you turn it up - it should have you dancing in no time!

PS:

I tried doing the strange : "200‑millisecond delay, slightly filtered and then fed into a very small room‑type effect", mentioned in the article.

I placed the reverb on a return track so I could send from all tracks into the same effect. At 115bpm (relatively slow for a S.A.W. production) 200 ms pre-delay sounded too far out of synch, but after adjusting the timing for a while, I ended up at 246ms. (slightly shorter than an 8th note). All sounds in the mix except the kick-drum has more or less of this "special sauce" added to it.

All sounds are from the sample pack except for the bassline, which is Ableton's Operator. For the lead synth sound I had to use a granular sampler in order to be able to play longer notes than the original sample allowed (I used Robert Henke's: "Granulator II").

Thanks!
Awesome stuff man. I like the vibe, it's almost a bit MJ. I like the sparseness and how it lets the special reverb breathe. Cool bass too. It would be interesting to hear it with some cheesy 80's pop vox on top. Got my vote haha. I like the tone of the leads, I wish there was more of that going on, i feel like it would give the track more melodic direction.( mine could've used that too actually)

Quote:
This is good fun

Listening to your track, I've especially enjoyed the drum-programming and fills. You clearly have skills for fills (and thrills?).

The sound of the snare and "toms" is super cool. Did you use gated reverbs for those?

..or maybe resamples with reverb already on the individual drum-samples?

hmm..

The overall compression of the mix is perhaps a bit too strong. Especially in the last half of the track, the intensifying synth-sounds end up working against the groove rather than with it (by gradually forcing the drum/groove into the background - and making the feeling "more chaotic").

So, if you decided to work more on this later, I'd suggest fiddling with compressor timing settings, - to try and make the synths "swell and ebb" in ways that make them sit better with the groove. I realise of course that it's easier said than done, and that I'm getting into nitpicking territory with this - so please take it with a grain of salt

PS: You have my vote!
Yeah I forgot to bring down my master limiters make up gain back down haha. I never leave myself any time to mix my BB's i need to work on that because i miss on useful mixing practice. Maybe I'll even learn how to make synths swell and ebb one day! Right now I only have a vague idea of what you mean. I'm glad you dig the fills, i usually find fills slightly intimidating actually and leave them for last, so I often don't get to them at all. I think I kind went overboard with them on this one but that's it's own charm i guess. Yes I used a gated reverb send within my drum rack in ableton and used it mostly on the toms and snare. I find it interesting how gated reverb+linn drum toms instantly sound neat as they recall its popularity in the 80's.

Do you wanna do the next bb? There's no one voting haha, too bad it's slowed down. I don't know if it's the theme or just the timing, or maybe being in a subforum but I hope it picks up again.

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
Iyashi Sound
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
Do you wanna do the next bb?
First of all thank you for your nice comments! It could indeed be fun to have a singer lay some pop lyrics on that mess. See how far it could go. Maybe even become the next Aitken - or Stock! ha ha!

hmm..

Since I was, strictly speaking, the only one who actually voted within the designated voting period, according to the rules - you win this round!

Congratulations!

I'd have nothing against starting a new one (even though I'm technically the loser), but I'd need to come up with an idea first, - so if you have an idea already, please just go ahead. Or let me know what you think. As you like
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
7asid
Soundscaper
Vancouver

Quote:
First of all thank you for your nice comments! It could indeed be fun to have a singer lay some pop lyrics on that mess. See how far it could go. Maybe even become the next Aitken - or Stock! ha ha!

hmm..

Since I was, strictly speaking, the only one who actually voted within the designated voting period, according to the rules - you win this round!

Congratulations!

I'd have nothing against starting a new one (even though I'm technically the loser), but I'd need to come up with an idea first, - so if you have an idea already, please just go ahead. Or let me know what you think. As you like
I'd say the circumstances on this bb are a little different. Since you're the only person to submit besides OP in my mind it was pretty much automatic win for you because it would be implied that my votes goes for you and OP usually doesn't go twice in a row. Your read is more to the point, as i didnt actually cast my vote on time,but still I think it's would be nice to get a diff OP on the next bb, maybe you can attract some more attendance(no pressure haha). My opinion is you deserve the win and I'd love for you to start the new bb but take your time and come up with an idea when you're ready and if for whatever reason you're unable to or don't really feel it, I can jump in to keep it going, lemme know!

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
Iyashi Sound (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
Iyashi Sound
Sample Destroyer

All right then. I'll try to come up with something!

Advertisements

Thanks to Iyashi Sound
7asid (06-02-2018)