( Dark Progressive Techno ) A. Junkie - Behind the Black Mirror [INTRO DRAFT]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 510
( Dark Progressive Techno ) A. Junkie - Behind the Black Mirror [INTRO DRAFT]

It's the first song I've made using high-end reference monitor grade headphones and tried to really put as much effort into mixing as possible...does it show? Not sure where to take the track next.... it ends with the 4x4 having been fully developed into full swing where the body would start....

Advertisements

arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: a little bit of deadmau5
Rate this track - ( Dark Progressive Techno ) A. Junkie - Behind the Black Mirror [INTRO DRAFT].
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072
Re: ( Dark Progressive Techno ) A. Junkie - Behind the Black Mirror [INTRO DRAFT]

Lots of masking going on.

The kick when it comes in is pretty weak and masked bad. Even as it gets louder its fighting for space that's been taken up by the bass and all the low end that's not EQ'd correctly. As a result of the bass and large reverbs in the low end, the kick is inefficient, weak and sounds like its sitting way back in the mix behind a wall of low end sound .

I'd suggest cleaning up the mix with some EQing and using a hard TR909 de-tuned kick, with a short release to cut through.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 510
Re: ( Dark Progressive Techno ) A. Junkie - Behind the Black Mirror [INTRO DRAFT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Acid View Post
Lots of masking going on.

The kick when it comes in is pretty weak and masked bad. Even as it gets louder its fighting for space that's been taken up by the bass and all the low end that's not EQ'd correctly. As a result of the bass and large reverbs in the low end, the kick is inefficient, weak and sounds like its sitting way back in the mix behind a wall of low end sound .

I'd suggest cleaning up the mix with some EQing and using a hard TR909 de-tuned kick, with a short release to cut through.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the kind of feedback I wish I could get more on IDM Forums. I have no idea what happened with my ear while mixing this -- the kick was definitely pretty weak near the end now that I listened to it right after getting up in the morning, but I seemed to have thought somehow at the time that it was powerful enough. You know, the more I try, the more I realize that mixing is a very challenging art. I hope you'd be willing to give it another listen after I've done a bunch of changes. I am currently going into each channel and narrowing the band that each instrument can utilize (e.g. steep high-pass filtering the excess out of high end instruments), and I'm applying steep low-pass filters to remove the excess out of low-end instruments.

I also did a side-chain for the bass and kick, and I added automation so the heavy reverb on many instruments descreases substantially once the song starts to really develop -- I mostly wanted it to create an introductory atmosphere.
arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

Yeah no problem man. Be great to hear a cleaned up version.

Mixing is an art form itself. Takes a while to pick up and develop into a skill.

P.S, about your ears...they just got fatigued and you thought things sounded better than they were. I' say almost every person mixing audio for long periods of time has experienced this at some stage.

Advertisements

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote