[Rock n' Roll] First Church of Patrick Swayze
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421887529
Thanked 5,191 Times in 3,001 Posts
[Rock n' Roll] First Church of Patrick Swayze

EDIT: Usually I don't have problems with soundcloud, but it really sort of ruined this track. Very strange compression in spots. Oh well.

This song is something like eight years old and was the very first attempt I made at loud music. Before this was a lot of acoustic folky stuff and things like that. This song was written by my best buddy and old band mate, but I did all the music on the track and rearranged it a bit. He does this live, but I can't really call this version a cover since it was written more as a collaboration (and long before either of us was playing our current live shows).

I just dug this out and remastered it, but it's the same as the original (you can imagine how badly the original was mixed, since I think I made this only a few weeks after getting Ableton). It's got some rough edges, but that's how we were doing things back then. This is the first time I've ever uploaded it.

Here is the song in its current form (if you can hear it over the people talking):

Last edited by Vlantis; 01-06-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Rock n' Roll] First Church of Patrick Swayze.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: [Rock n' Roll] First Church of Patrick Swayze

This is fantastic. I have no criticism for you at all (the drums might be kind of quiet, but that's the only thing I can think to mention), but I'm glad to see another one of your tracks in the LB again. I need to revisit Party In The USA if you still have that one uploaded
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts

Awesome, except for the whiny/crying vocals. If the vocals were better (sorry) and if the recording/production/mix would be up-to-date it would be stellar.

I was raised on college rock, indie, powerpop, punk, etc, so this is pretty close to home.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
This is fantastic. I have no criticism for you at all (the drums might be kind of quiet, but that's the only thing I can think to mention), but I'm glad to see another one of your tracks in the LB again. I need to revisit Party In The USA if you still have that one uploaded
Thanks!! Party in the USA is on youtube. I plan on remastering that one as well, since it sounds pretty horrible. Funny you mention the drums, as I think they're too loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Awesome, except for the whiny/crying vocals. If the vocals were better (sorry) and if the recording/production/mix would be up-to-date it would be stellar.

I was raised on college rock, indie, powerpop, punk, etc, so this is pretty close to home.
No worries, man. The vocalist also hates the vocals on this song. He hadn't even recorded anything prior to this (minus the stuff from our old high school band), so now these are very painful to him.

Here's something he did last year:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
sbj
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
Copenhagen
MC Status: 6760

Prettty awesome

The sound is not as important in this genre as is the deliverance IMO.

And I hear a tight track full of energy and attitude and that is the most important
thing.

The transition from the intro to the main riff was nice too.

Be proud :victory:

------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbj View Post
Prettty awesome

The sound is not as important in this genre as is the deliverance IMO.

And I hear a tight track full of energy and attitude and that is the most important
thing.

The transition from the intro to the main riff was nice too.

Be proud :victory:
Thanks, man! Yeah, the quality of some of the recording is shit, but that's the way it was recorded, so I'm fine with it. Lately I've gotten a lot looser in my mixing. Not only with punkrock-ish stuff, but with everything.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217960
Thanked 4,359 Times in 3,236 Posts

That rocks, dude! Reminds me of MCR..and I mean that in the best possible way, as I know some like to hate on them these days..but there is something there that clicks in my mind and reminds me of them.

I'd listen to this no problem. In fact, I would have downloaded it if you had dl turned on over on SC. Can't be more positive than that, mate.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Thanks! I plan on including this with an odds and ends album I'll be releasing whenever I get around to gathering up all the songs (should be soonish). The vocals actually sounded a bit better in the ancient original version now that I listen to it, so I'll fix those (went a bit crazy with the EQ). And the vocalist/actual writer of the the song wants me to remove some of the more annoying parts of the vocals.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Thanks! I plan on including this with an odds and ends album I'll be releasing whenever I get around to gathering up all the songs (should be soonish). The vocals actually sounded a bit better in the ancient original version now that I listen to it, so I'll fix those (went a bit crazy with the EQ). And the vocalist/actual writer of the the song wants me to remove some of the more annoying parts of the vocals.
I dunno..it sounds pretty damn cool as is to my ears..but I guess you have to respect the guy's wishes. Oh..and make sure to let us all know when that "Best Of" album comes out..really interested in hearing that!

------------------
Old 03-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

I knew he would want me to do something with the vocals once I showed it to him. He wanted to re-record them, but it's freakin' eight years old. Let it be a product of its time.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
I knew he would want me to do something with the vocals once I showed it to him. He wanted to re-record them, but it's freakin' eight years old. Let it be a product of its time.
That's the fecking problem with us artist..we're all perfectionists at heart.

------------------
Old 03-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Seriously. He recorded those into some shitty ass $30 mic and hit all those notes in one take without any sort of melodyne or autotune. They're perfectly fine!

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Seriously. He recorded those into some shitty ass $30 mic and hit all those notes in one take without any sort of melodyne or autotune. They're perfectly fine!
Now all you've got to do is convince him of that fact.

------------------
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
That rocks, dude! Reminds me of MCR..and I mean that in the best possible way, as I know some like to hate on them these days..but there is something there that clicks in my mind and reminds me of them.

I'd listen to this no problem. In fact, I would have downloaded it if you had dl turned on over on SC. Can't be more positive than that, mate.
I was a MCR fan. I don't listen to them much anymore but back when I used to

Fun tune Vlantis
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Always hated My Chemical Romance. I was a big fan of emo in the mid 90's (Mineral, Appleseed Cast, Gloria Record, etc.), so I died a little inside when they were being called an emo band. Actually, if I went back in time and told my 16 year old self how the word emo is widely used these to mean sad kids and what people actually consider emo music, he'd flip the fuck out. Thank god I am 32 and don't give a shit about any of that crap.

Thanks for listening, Muse-ic!

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Well I know for sure MCR didn't want to be labeled EMO so perhaps they really weren't. Clearly they are pop and not what I would call spectacular but sometimes they just hit the right spot for what I felt like listening too. I always considered them to be more of a pop parody of life band.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #17
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Well, I think that one album with the two people looking at each other with bloody faces (their first? No idea) owes a pretty big debt to Alkaline Trio and The Getup Kids, which were sort of the beginning of the then-new emo movement.......which sucked.

Just my opinions, though!

Advertisements

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook