[Chilled/Summer Whimsy/Psychedelic] Synaesthetic Heaven
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 21-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408749
Thanked 5,495 Times in 3,571 Posts
[Chilled/Summer Whimsy/Psychedelic] Synaesthetic Heaven

Some simple summer whimsy. Only 5 instruments (if you count drums as one instrument): drums, bass, some chords, broken piano and voice. Got some tidying up to do on the vocals but its getting there. Any feedback and help to finish this off appreciated.

Advertisements

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Chilled/Summer Whimsy/Psychedelic] Synaesthetic Heaven.
Old 23-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
sbj
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
Copenhagen
MC Status: 6760
Re: [Chilled/Summer Whimsy/Psychedelic] Synaesthetic Heaven

I like the 80's feel combined with the modern drum approach.
Your singing made me think of David Bowie (and that's a good thing)

The bass is too obvious in my opinion. I would roll it back a little and maybe some
chorus or other Fx could give it some character.

The arrangement worked well throughout.

Cheers

------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
nilrem
Microknight
nilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1024

The singing reminded me of Bowie too with maybe a little Mark Knoppfler thrown in. :-)

The bass was a bit too busy for my tastes. Also I think you could get things to groove a bit more if bass accents coincided more with the kick rather than falling straight on the beat. As it is the bass rhythm has a sort of punk vibe which may have been what you're going for.

I dug the drum programming. Nice subtle verb on the snare.

I thought some of the backing vox and the rhodes parts could be brought up in the mix a bit. Also, the rhodes sounded a bit thin. Maybe you eqed it that way? Almost sounds like a hi pass has been applied. To me it would sound better with some deeper, richer tones.

Nice one.

------------------
nilrem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408749
Thanked 5,495 Times in 3,571 Posts

Cheers for the useful guys. I'll have a nosey at the bass settings and have a ponder about the bassline and bass drum interaction. Not been doing much in the last week due to illness.

I'll check out the high-pass on the piano. Its not an actual rhodes sound, though it is similar.

Again, cheers guys, very helpful

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Caius
Minor Glitch
Caius is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

The vocals could use a bit more work, could be mixed in a little better! Nice bass and samples though i like it!
Caius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

I agree. Cool drums, but the bass is busy. The arrangement as a whole felt chaotic at times.

Advertisements

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote