[Electronic] Gate Four - Monochromatic Light
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 17-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
gatefour
Soundscaper
gatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to all
MC Status: 610
[Electronic] Gate Four - Monochromatic Light

Hi everyone,

here's a new track and we're going back to that dreampop/shoegazey vibe... not totally electronic but.... either way, hope you'll enjoy!

Comments are welcome of course.

Last edited by gatefour; 19-05-2014 at 08:37 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
gatefour is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Electronic] Gate Four - Monochromatic Light.
Old 19-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
gatefour
Soundscaper
gatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to all
Re: [Electronic] Gate Four - Monochromatic Light

Woah, this one sank fast, here's a shameless bump

------------------
Old 20-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Banaan
Microknight
Banaan has a spectacular aura aboutBanaan has a spectacular aura aboutBanaan has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Very nice sound you have going there. Good arrangement and progression throughout, though I feel the song needs some kind of climax towards the end.

------------------
Banaan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Ttinga
IDMf Artist
Ttinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to behold
Chicago
MC Status: 960

I really enjoyed it. Very well put together and nice sounds. I'm not sure if I am correct or not, but is it possible that some of the guitar sounds are just a bit out of tune? Something sounded a little bit off. Like not in a really bad way, just something that might need a small tweak.

------------------
Ttinga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Cylotic
Minor Glitch
Cylotic will become famous soon enoughCylotic will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Such a chill vibe I like how you managed to make the track both ambient but still engaging and interesting at the same time. Nice. That being said, I only have a few suggestions to make. The first would be bringing out your kick a bit more (we're talking like 1db max). The other thing would be making that cymbal you have panned hard right a little closer to the center (adding some stereo width certainly wouldn't hurt) and adding a bit more reverb. The cymbal accents the overall vibe of your song, so I'd definitely recommend giving it a bit more presence (that same statement can be applied to the other one hit percussive elements you have in the track). Last would be those guitars you bring in at the beginning. They sound a tad bit muffled, so I would high pass them a little and give them a bump (about 1db) in the high end (between 5khz and 8khz). Overall, everything is sounding pretty solid sonically speaking.
Cylotic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
gatefour
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttinga View Post
I really enjoyed it. Very well put together and nice sounds. I'm not sure if I am correct or not, but is it possible that some of the guitar sounds are just a bit out of tune? Something sounded a little bit off. Like not in a really bad way, just something that might need a small tweak.
thanks for checking it out!

maybe so, the guitars are recorded and pitch shifted... the "flutter" in the delay settings could be doing that too. I'll have a look.

------------------
Old 21-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
gatefour
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylotic View Post
Such a chill vibe I like how you managed to make the track both ambient but still engaging and interesting at the same time. Nice. That being said, I only have a few suggestions to make. The first would be bringing out your kick a bit more (we're talking like 1db max). The other thing would be making that cymbal you have panned hard right a little closer to the center (adding some stereo width certainly wouldn't hurt) and adding a bit more reverb. The cymbal accents the overall vibe of your song, so I'd definitely recommend giving it a bit more presence (that same statement can be applied to the other one hit percussive elements you have in the track). Last would be those guitars you bring in at the beginning. They sound a tad bit muffled, so I would high pass them a little and give them a bump (about 1db) in the high end (between 5khz and 8khz). Overall, everything is sounding pretty solid sonically speaking.
Thanks! I've been already tweaking similar things as you mentioned. I definitely feel it's lacking a bit of presence and some of the stuff is a bit oversaturated. Good tip on the cymbal accents as well, I actually brought it down (it was too loud before and now I think I've overdone it.

------------------
Old 21-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
nilrem
Microknight
nilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud ofnilrem has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1024

I like the vibe this tune puts out. Very chill and funky. I'm not too keen on the bongos, but that's probably a personal taste thing. It was a bit too sparse for my tastes. My ear kept listening for a lead line or sound fx or vocals or something to add additional interest. Nice work.

------------------
nilrem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42417849
Thanked 5,677 Times in 3,690 Posts

Nice feel to this. I found a few of the offbeat rhythms a bit too offbeat but other than that enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatefour View Post
Woah, this one sank fast, here's a shameless bump
Happens a lot

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
gatefour
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilrem View Post
I like the vibe this tune puts out. Very chill and funky. I'm not too keen on the bongos, but that's probably a personal taste thing. It was a bit too sparse for my tastes. My ear kept listening for a lead line or sound fx or vocals or something to add additional interest. Nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Nice feel to this. I found a few of the offbeat rhythms a bit too offbeat but other than that enjoyed it
thanks for listening guys!

------------------
Old 31-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #11
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

I like the grimey deep bass with those warm top percussion. I love what you guys do with guitars to create warm walls of sound. Some times it felt like the reverb was blurring everything a little bit too much. Maybe try sending tracks to buses with reverb on it so that you can do some mild subtractive eq on the reverb and keep some of the elements feeling crispy. Nice job though! 80s vibe for sure.

Sorry, I meant to comment earlier when I listened to this about two weeks ago but was busy.

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
gatefour
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
I like the grimey deep bass with those warm top percussion. I love what you guys do with guitars to create warm walls of sound. Some times it felt like the reverb was blurring everything a little bit too much. Maybe try sending tracks to buses with reverb on it so that you can do some mild subtractive eq on the reverb and keep some of the elements feeling crispy. Nice job though! 80s vibe for sure.

Sorry, I meant to comment earlier when I listened to this about two weeks ago but was busy.
hey, thanks! I agree maybe we did crank the reverb/delay a little too much and in turn wrecked our mixdown. Good suggestion with the EQ-ing. We'll probably look into that.

------------------
Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
hey, thanks! I agree maybe we did crank the reverb/delay a little too much and in turn wrecked our mixdown. Good suggestion with the EQ-ing. We'll probably look into that.
Cool. Let me know if you do that. I'll listen again

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
Audio Geometry
Minor Glitch
Audio Geometry is a jewel in the roughAudio Geometry is a jewel in the roughAudio Geometry is a jewel in the roughAudio Geometry is a jewel in the rough
Ithaca, NY

One of the things I really enjoyed about this track was how FX processing was applied to parts during transitional moments (e.g. reverb on the hand-drums around 0:56; filter on the cymbal around 2:00) -- it's nice to hear sounds evolve over time, even if it doesn't demand conscious attention. I like the variety in terms of the instrumentation, too.

The cymbal does stick out a bit for my tastes, and I think the sounds themselves could use a little more distinction/separation (EQing/panning, maybe).
Audio Geometry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
phaseon
Minor Glitch
phaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Hi everyone,

here's a new track and we're going back to that dreampop/shoegazey vibe... not totally electronic but.... either way, hope you'll enjoy!

Comments are welcome of course.

I don't know much about this sort of music so def take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

I feel like it could be more dynamic with the drum patterns but I am conflicted because I also feel that would mess up the vibe of the song which I really like. And I don't think that it would fit your original intentions with this song.
It would probably make it sound more triphop-ish, which wouldn't be bad. But again, I don't think that is what you were going for.

For some reason it sounds to me like there is part of the arpeggio your playing that my ear doesn't like.
I think it's because the arpeggio and the bass + the intervals (?) your playing harmonize.
Ex: 1:50 to 1:54
However, imo, from 0:37 to about 1 minute (and various other points) the harmonization was perfect.
Love how everything sounded together and whenever I heard you harmonize it like that I was just like, fuck yeah. This sounds so awesome.

I think that from 2 to 3 min, the piano notes should not have been played like that, but rather more spread out between that time differentiate between the break and when you bring it back in.
Think that would have made the break even more dreamy.

Would have been cool if you somehow turned the piano into a pad with spread out notes (maybe drown it in reverb and slowly automate it down to proper wetness along with a filter sweep?
Imagine that and then BAM drops into the song again, think that would be amazing.

I really like that piano chord you started right at the break. I think it would be cool if you made two piano tracks and just put more chords sort of like in this pattern (I'm not sure if this is going to make sense to you:

Stab-1 2 3 4 (let the reverb tail finish out kinda, love how it feels sort of ghostly like that)- piano pad note- 1 2 - piano pad note - chord.

LOVE LOVE the vibe of this.
I feel as if I was walking through the woods on a calm foggy day.

Last edited by phaseon; 06-06-2014 at 06:59 PM..
phaseon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #16
DJ Alex
Granular Poster
DJ Alex will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Loved it. Very smooth/nicely panned out besides some points where the reverb is being harmonized.

I was honestly ready for a steady beat to come in once I found myself still engaged at around 0:36, but the slow evolving of sounds/pads kept me really interested.

Sounds great, feels chill, nice vibes and good work ++
DJ Alex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #17
gatefour
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseon View Post
I don't know much about this sort of music so def take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

I feel like it could be more dynamic with the drum patterns but I am conflicted because I also feel that would mess up the vibe of the song which I really like. And I don't think that it would fit your original intentions with this song.
It would probably make it sound more triphop-ish, which wouldn't be bad. But again, I don't think that is what you were going for.

For some reason it sounds to me like there is part of the arpeggio your playing that my ear doesn't like.
I think it's because the arpeggio and the bass + the intervals (?) your playing harmonize.
Ex: 1:50 to 1:54
However, imo, from 0:37 to about 1 minute (and various other points) the harmonization was perfect.
Love how everything sounded together and whenever I heard you harmonize it like that I was just like, fuck yeah. This sounds so awesome.

I think that from 2 to 3 min, the piano notes should not have been played like that, but rather more spread out between that time differentiate between the break and when you bring it back in.
Think that would have made the break even more dreamy.

Would have been cool if you somehow turned the piano into a pad with spread out notes (maybe drown it in reverb and slowly automate it down to proper wetness along with a filter sweep?
Imagine that and then BAM drops into the song again, think that would be amazing.

I really like that piano chord you started right at the break. I think it would be cool if you made two piano tracks and just put more chords sort of like in this pattern (I'm not sure if this is going to make sense to you:

Stab-1 2 3 4 (let the reverb tail finish out kinda, love how it feels sort of ghostly like that)- piano pad note- 1 2 - piano pad note - chord.

LOVE LOVE the vibe of this.
I feel as if I was walking through the woods on a calm foggy day.
Thanks for listening! Appreciate your lengthy comment and I think you have some pretty cool ideas there for the pianos.

------------------
Old 17-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
dajwxp
Knob Twiddler
dajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of light
NOT in China~
MC Status: 460

Oh my goodness, every track you churn out makes me more and more obsessed with your stuff. I don't know what I just heard.

Please, please release something soon. Or open up your sounds for downloads. Please ;;

Erm...that aside, I'll just say a few things!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseon View Post
My friend, there's a track called "Night Shift" hiding around somewhere in this artist's wings that would probably speak otherwise .

Erm...yes please! More drums <3

~

There's a bunch of sounds I loved a lot. Left some timed comments on your cloud to mark them out. The piano breakdown at the two-minute mark was transcendent. It was like the clouds broke apart and all the air around you started glittering. It's like the world disappeared into the sky for a few seconds.

Buuuuuut it was also there that something that had already been bothering me was continuing to bother me :|. I think you have this really round droney tone around 30-ish Hz range, and it gets kinda heavy after a while. I would personally love it if you filtered everything below 40Hz away, because in my eyes I kinda feel that your mix would be so much better with a little more sparkle. Maybe I'm wrong :p. And while that drone does give lots of feel and weight to the mix, it just feels...wasted. Honestly. The piano was filtered to perfection and the shimmer might ruin it, but there's so much you could do with that low-low-end all gone. I'm pretty sure that you can make the most out of it .

I hope I didn't make it sound as if the track sucked, because no, it was just amazing. It was divine, even. Didn't like the low-low-end, but it's okay - I can probably find myself seeing past that. Wonderful stuff, guys <3. Awaiting your album release forever~

------------------
| new album! |

| soundcloud! | bandcamp! |

always in search of sexy idmf music!~
dajwxp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
gatefour
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajwxp View Post
Buuuuuut it was also there that something that had already been bothering me was continuing to bother me :|. I think you have this really round droney tone around 30-ish Hz range, and it gets kinda heavy after a while.
Hey thanks for your continuing support dude! Glad you liked the overall vibe. The 30hz drone is strange and I actually can't hear it in my room so I can only see it in a spectrum analyzer... that's strange and thanks for pointing that out. We've been pretty busy and I haven't had any time really to re-do the mixdown, I'll take a look.

------------------
Old 19-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24510

As usually this is good. I love the drums and the pads my man. It gives me a feeling like I am driving in my car down an empty road and there is only me and my dreams.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote