[Synthpop] nightlight society - Euphoric (Vocal Demo)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 14-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910
[Synthpop] nightlight society - Euphoric (Vocal Demo)

New tune, i'm really happy with how the vocals turned out. i was able to do like 10 takes and got a couple that were nearly identical, then double tracked the two good takes. The only effects i put on the vocals was some EQ'ing, and Reverb. I had some delay but it was abit overpowering, so perhaps i'll mess with the settings of the delay, or just go without it. This is literally the best vocal demo I've done so far, And i'd love to hear what you guys think about it. Of course its a demo so theres some things to be perfected, like lyrics, intonation, etc.

Please tell me what you think of this, As i feel i'm getting better and i need to know if i am indeed getting better. (for a reference search for my Bombs In The Bay Demo)

Also a note, the instrumental is rather simple at the moment, cause i was focusing on vocals for awhile. But the track will be expanded on alot, More percussion, edited melodies, plus mixing and mastering, among other things.

Enjoy, Feedback is much appreciated. ~ lucas

Advertisements

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Synthpop] nightlight society - Euphoric (Vocal Demo).
Old 14-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: [Synthpop] nightlight society - Euphoric (Vocal Demo)

Everything about this is great, if I wanted to nitpick I would just say the bass is too loud sometimes and that's it. The vocals are awesome (you're a really good vocalist, IMHO) and the beat is simple enough to carry the song but empty enough to let the vocal work shine.

Your Bombs In The Bay track is coming up as 'not available' for me so I can't compare the two, but it never hurts to just let a song be a song. Keep it up.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Everything about this is great, if I wanted to nitpick I would just say the bass is too loud sometimes and that's it. The vocals are awesome (you're a really good vocalist, IMHO) and the beat is simple enough to carry the song but empty enough to let the vocal work shine.

Your Bombs In The Bay track is coming up as 'not available' for me so I can't compare the two, but it never hurts to just let a song be a song. Keep it up.
Well thanks I probably made that one private or something now that i think of it. But i'll try to turn down the bass a tad or maybe try some sidechaining or something. Thanks for the feedback, it means alot!

Last edited by NightlightSociety; 14-06-2014 at 09:03 PM..

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

If it's private, post a link here (no embed) and we'll be able to hear it.

(also, has to be the private link which can be found under your sharing options on SC)
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
VoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really nice
Hamburg
MC Status: 360

I like this. Your vocals did come quite a way from the last track I heard from you. It seems like you've been working really hard and I think it's showing - that's fantastic!

I think that sometimes, the breathing at the beginning of a new phrase is a bit prominent. I don't know whether that's a technique thing or something about the mixdown... I'm sure people more knowledgeable in the art of vocal-recoding will know :-)

In terms of the arrangement, I think some variation in the bass line wouldn't hurt. I think it's mostly single notes throughout the track and maybe if it did a bit more in the last verse or so, that might give it a nice touch... just a thought.

Great work, keep it up!
VoidPointer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42417949
Thanked 5,679 Times in 3,692 Posts

Sounds good.

As a suggestion, I find it a good idea to edit out the big intakes of breath prior to a vocal part.

Basically, you automate the Gain. Not sure how you do it in your DAW but Sonar is dead easy. Access the 'gain' for a clip then create an envelope so that the gain is zero percent (in Sonar it shows as minus infinity) before the vocals start, rising to normal (zero dB) just as the first part of singing/talking comes in. That way you eleminate the more obtrusive breathing. I do the same as the vocal part finishes, returning the gain back down to minus infinity (zero percent gain). If there are any large pauses/gaps in a vocal clip I also edit these down to zero percent Gain. It just makes the overall delivery cleaner.

I've got into the habit of doing this on all vocals. Amongst other things it eliminates any other unwanted audio that may occur in the lead-up to singing actually starting. One of the reasons I prefer this type of editing, laborious though it is at times, is because its very easy on the CPU compared to Gate plugs and by taking control manually you leave nothing to chance.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
dajwxp
Knob Twiddler
dajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of lightdajwxp is a glorious beacon of light
NOT in China~
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Sounds good.

As a suggestion, I find it a good idea to edit out the big intakes of breath prior to a vocal part.

Basically, you automate the Gain. Not sure how you do it in your DAW but Sonar is dead easy. Access the 'gain' for a clip then create an envelope so that the gain is zero percent (in Sonar it shows as minus infinity) before the vocals start, rising to normal (zero dB) just as the first part of singing/talking comes in. That way you eleminate the more obtrusive breathing. I do the same as the vocal part finishes, returning the gain back down to minus infinity (zero percent gain). If there are any large pauses/gaps in a vocal clip I also edit these down to zero percent Gain. It just makes the overall delivery cleaner.

I've got into the habit of doing this on all vocals. Amongst other things it eliminates any other unwanted audio that may occur in the lead-up to singing actually starting. One of the reasons I prefer this type of editing, laborious though it is at times, is because its very easy on the CPU compared to Gate plugs and by taking control manually you leave nothing to chance.
Yes ! Do consider some de-essing (Maximus has some presets for this) and a tad bit of compression too - while your style seems to favour single dynamics with abrupt changes (terrace dynamics if you wish to get technical), your voice ducks in and out a little and compression would help it a lot ^^!

Erm...still agreeing with Roo's point, here's some advice from a fellow FL user ^^!

I've tried editing audio on FL Studio before, and I've realised that it doesn't work. It just doesn't work. I got myself a nice little copy of Cubase 7 Elements (for under a hundred bucks, woohoo) just to edit audio, because FL either fails at it or I fail at it and have to buy a whole new DAW for it. On Cubase and most other DAWs, I heard, you get to directly work with your audio, inserting fade-ins and fade-outs and stuff; all happy !

I'll spend the rest of this post talking about non-music stuff, because I think your voice is pretty good ^^! You're enunciating all the "d"s so well that it's admirable. And you're in tune most of the time, which is great too!

Yeah, your vocals are so New Order. It's just uncanny in some way. And it works. The double is well-timed too - could use some minor editing, but it's generally really well-done ! There's a bunch of notes that you're not exactly hitting, and I think using some Newtone to patch that up would do wonders (I'm assuming you decided to get all the plugins with your FL).

A bit of a noise floor there on the recordings too; some noise removal would be sexy! Or maybe I'm hearing things :p. Correct me if I'm wrong, please~

So yeah, some vocal polish would be great ^^! Erm...I have some experience in this, so if you'd like me to polish up the vocals a bit, I'd be more than happy to do so ! Just keep producing good music, man~

Much cheers!

Advertisements

------------------
| new album! |

| soundcloud! | bandcamp! |

always in search of sexy idmf music!~
dajwxp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote