[Progressive House] Saga - Siberia
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
SoloSaga will become famous soon enough
Ohio
MC Status: 60
[Progressive House] Saga - Siberia

New house track.

I guess I need some opinions on the mix and the sound/EQ quality

Last edited by SoloSaga; 05-06-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
SoloSaga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Progressive House] Saga - Siberia.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
MVVilliams
Granular Poster
MVVilliams is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles/Boston
MC Status: 10
Re: [Progressive House] Saga - Siberia

regarding the mix: My headphones have a good mid and high range definition, with not as much bass as monitors, but this is what I'm hearing.
I think the highs could be more defined with relationship to the mids. In the intro the chords are louder than than the hats and you cant really hear them over the reverb type effect of the clap. I get that they're being faded in and I like that, but maybe instead of just making them louder, you could cut out some of the high frequencies from the clap so that it has space to move into.
Overall the song feels consistently loud, which could be what you're going for. Let me know what you think and what you hear, I really dig this vibe. Very nice dynamics.
MVVilliams is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Thanks for the comment. I see what you're saying, and sometimes I have a tendency to have my highs come in too much and that might be why I was cautious while EQing. Regarding the loud mix, I always strive to have a loud mix, dunno if that's bad or not, I just don't like quiet mixes I guess

I'm glad you like the vibes though!

------------------
Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
MORZ42
Analog Lurker
MORZ42 has a spectacular aura aboutMORZ42 has a spectacular aura about
Portland, Oregon
MC Status: 160

Hi SoloSage, I gave your track a listen and came up with a few pointers. First thing I noticed, the loudness. While loud it doesn't sound muddy or dirty, so props to you on that. (Did you compress and master yourself?) The arrangement, for me it was a bit too simple, the vocals at 2:35 spiced things up but my ear was bored by that point already. I'd suggest adding a bit more variation to your future work to keep the listener engaged.

------------------
MORZ42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Thanks for the comment! Yes, I mastered it myself. I also agree with you on some of the variation. There are some elements that are added in slowly, but I guess they're not prominent enough. I'll have to work on that.

------------------
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
DJ Alex
Granular Poster
DJ Alex will become famous soon enough

Consistent dynamics like someone in here previously said.

The kick for me was too mid-rangy, I like to hear my subsonic punch while listening to that 150-300hz range accompany the punch which you seem to have down, doesn't sound pinched or anything just needs a little more sub

I personally hate house music and can't listen to it for entertainment ever, but at least this wasn't EXACTLY like the generic structure of progressive house

Some more progressions/break downs to engage the listener would be helpful. And please don't end the song with 15 seconds of fading drums would be much more pleasurable to hear the melody and creative sounds you would put behind the drums at the end of the song so we can be like "ohhhh thats whats going on in the background to make my ears feel like their being fondled", you get meh?

But I do not make house music, nor listen to it when I can avoid it, but I love to help out with any project someone may be working on, so there's my two cents

Don't take it too seriously or too lightly Congrats on the track
DJ Alex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Haha thanks for the comment man.

Mostly, the drum ending is for DJs playing live sets so they can easily blend the ending and beginning of two tracks, but I see what you're saying.

I appreciate your advice even though you hate house music, sometimes listeners with different tastes can notice certain things. When I release it on Bandcamp, I will change some things.

------------------
Old 15-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #8
d3b
Knob Twiddler
d3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MCd3b is a savage MC
MC Status: 118464

im a big fan of nicely balance chord synths

this is a really interesting synth you've got here

it's lacking body though because the bassline is standing out

.... i reckon this would do really well if you go and layer a bass synth (all sine wave, hp cutoff, add some slight distortion but barely noticeable) but don't introduce it till the 0.45 second mark when your hats come in
you're note duplicating the whole melody in the bass synth just the g#

good work regardless
d3b is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378867

Sounds like the design to a nice upbeat but chill track.

But the mix was too harsh and loud. I couldn't get past a minute with out pausing.

Advertisements

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote