[Ambient/Experimental] Cowboys of Habit - No Words
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
phaseon
Minor Glitch
phaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nice
MC Status: 360
[Ambient/Experimental] Cowboys of Habit - No Words

The idea was to write a 4~ minute version of what Alice would feel as we went through her journey through the forests of wonderland.

More than anything, I just wanted to have fun with this one and try a new way of conceptualizing my music.

(WIP)

Advertisements

phaseon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Ambient/Experimental] Cowboys of Habit - No Words.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: [Ambient/Experimental] Cowboys of Habit - No Words

Jeez, this is fucking cool. There's a lot of dissonance (tension might be a better word) in here and everything gels in a Tycho / chillwave kind of way at times. The only thing I personally wasn't a fan of at all was the snare drum being hard panned to the right, what's up with that? Everything else is absolutely delicious. I didn't like the kick drum at first, but it grew on me post-intro. I personally thought it sounded hollow and loud in contrast to the intro synths, but perfectly fitting for the rest of the song.

I also see now that it's a WIP, but aside from some drum quirks, it sounds pretty complete to me. And very well done.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
phaseon
Minor Glitch
phaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Jeez, this is fucking cool. There's a lot of dissonance (tension might be a better word) in here and everything gels in a Tycho / chillwave kind of way at times. The only thing I personally wasn't a fan of at all was the snare drum being hard panned to the right, what's up with that? Everything else is absolutely delicious. I didn't like the kick drum at first, but it grew on me post-intro. I personally thought it sounded hollow and loud in contrast to the intro synths, but perfectly fitting for the rest of the song.

I also see now that it's a WIP, but aside from some drum quirks, it sounds pretty complete to me. And very well done.
Thanks man! I really appreciate that.

Reason is I'm waiting on my KRK VXT8's and stands to get here <3
Right now I have my trusty old pair of Rubicon R8A's and the fact I don't have stands makes stereo imaging horrible.

You said the kicked sounded hollow, how do I fix that?
Any tips as to how I could make this better?

Last edited by phaseon; 06-06-2014 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Asked for advice about kick/the song.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
rapsys
Microknight
rapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MC
Los Angeles, CA
MC Status: 34239

Nice work, love the harmonies! I'd agree with the other comment in regards to snare to the right, and the kick maybe not hitting as hard as I'd like. It seems like the kick is missing the low end part - the high end is nice, perfect mix there...but doesn't have that low end - maybe double with another deep kick with a cut off?

Great programmatic feel - could 'hear' the story unfold! Nice work!

------------------
rapsys is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
phaseon
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsys View Post
Nice work, love the harmonies! I'd agree with the other comment in regards to snare to the right, and the kick maybe not hitting as hard as I'd like. It seems like the kick is missing the low end part - the high end is nice, perfect mix there...but doesn't have that low end - maybe double with another deep kick with a cut off?

Great programmatic feel - could 'hear' the story unfold! Nice work!
Thanks man. Appreciate it haha.
The funny thing is, I did do that!
I think I just need to stop being so afraid of pushing the lows a little bit.
I'm always scared that the bass is going to sound muddy on other audio systems.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
rapsys
Microknight
rapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MCrapsys is a savage MC
Los Angeles, CA
MC Status: 34239

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseon View Post
Thanks man. Appreciate it haha.
The funny thing is, I did do that!
I think I just need to stop being so afraid of pushing the lows a little bit.
I'm always scared that the bass is going to sound muddy on other audio systems.
Totally hear you there...I find myself teetering back and forth over time, always having to check myself! Especially if you're evolving, creating or integrating new samples all the time...

------------------
rapsys is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
DJ Alex
Granular Poster
DJ Alex will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I think a nice sine wave with a quick envelope and fast compression behind that kick would sound nice. Very creative ++
DJ Alex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
phaseon
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Alex View Post
I think a nice sine wave with a quick envelope and fast compression behind that kick would sound nice. Very creative ++
D'oh. I'd forgotten about that production technique.
Good idea.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
MVVilliams
Granular Poster
MVVilliams is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles/Boston
MC Status: 10

This is pretty interesting. I think maybe some vocal samples here and there and some percussive oddities could really make this track something special. For a journey the sounds are pretty consistent, so maybe playing around with some effect parameters could add some extra emotion to different stages of the song. Obviously this is pretty sweet how it is, so take my advice as you will.
MVVilliams is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378867

First thing I though was that the white noise mixed with the flute synth could be quieter at least while it's playing alone. Or glued together more, maybe lowpassed or bitcrushed. Tone of the synth is really warm but the noise sounds cold over it.

I thought the hat left was a bit too loud in velocity.

I kept thinking everything was out of tune but still sounded good. Some points it looses that tune and falls out. But it works. I like the snare being right. Maybe center it a bit more.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24060

oowww 1:50 man. that was nice. I am digging it man I like that like 8-bit synth deal and how the flutes are detuned.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408749
Thanked 5,495 Times in 3,571 Posts

This is a nice piece of chilled out psychedelia. Off-centre enough to make it interesting, not so far gone that its self indulgent. I likey.

Good work, cheers for sharing

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #13
phaseon
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
This is a nice piece of chilled out psychedelia. Off-centre enough to make it interesting, not so far gone that its self indulgent. I likey.

Good work, cheers for sharing
Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

You know me confidence in my projects are not the highest. The standard I set for myself is very high (perhaps unrealistically high).
Which is why I never release most of it, if you go look at my soundcloud releases are months in between.
I obsess too much about every little detail.

I always think to myself:

If I don't think this is good enough, then who the hell else will? *trashes*

Initially being part of this forum and posting here was scary for me but objectively speaking there is no way to get better if I don't show anybody my music and get feedback.
I did not know how you all would react, I thought I was going to be proverbially "boo-ed" off the stage.

It's nice to see that people gave me (and my music) a warm reception here and are willing to give constructive criticism.

Thanks all.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
phaseon
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
First thing I though was that the white noise mixed with the flute synth could be quieter at least while it's playing alone. Or glued together more, maybe lowpassed or bitcrushed. Tone of the synth is really warm but the noise sounds cold over it.

I thought the hat left was a bit too loud in velocity.

I kept thinking everything was out of tune but still sounded good. Some points it looses that tune and falls out. But it works. I like the snare being right. Maybe center it a bit more.
Can you elaborate a bit more on all that?
What do you mean out of tune? 0.0

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
Eyzuky
Soundwave Mangler
Eyzuky will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I think a good idea for the kick is finding the frequency that is blocking the sound and notching it down.
many times reducing makes the sound open better. and if u reduce that freq you will be able to compress and put the kick more in your face as people here wanted.
Regarding to the snare drum i would also consider putting it in the middle. if not in the middle i would think of maybe a very fast delay in the other side of the stereo to atlist make some dimension.

Otherwise its all very cool man thanks!

------------------
Eyzuky is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #16
Mellow
Knob Twiddler
Mellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to behold
Pennsylvania
MC Status: 710

I've listened to this a few times before, but I still love it. Good jaeorb, Phaseon. <3

Edit: Also, I think we should collab. Maybe some of your experience would rub off on me?

Advertisements

------------------
Mellow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote