[Ambience] Subterraria
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Evoava
Sample Destroyer
Evoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110
[Ambience] Subterraria

I wanted to capture the feeling of being far underground.

Advertisements

------------------
Some IDM for the IDM forum

Me Soundclewd
Evoava is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Ambience] Subterraria.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: [Ambience] Subterraria

I automatically REALLY like this because it's soundscapey, I have to put this disclaimer here for reasons. The mix, IMHO, is begging for some eq'ing, width, and breathing room. On the plus side, it's very experimental and perfectly fine the way it is for being so - the only downside is that although the sound palette is phenomenal, the air seems very stale (thin) and I kind of get the feeling that it's being squashed quite a bit (I've been wrong before, so don't take this as the one true word of jeebs).

This part is completely personal-taste related: It seems like you used a lot of downward compression, when the master bus would probably absorb some multiband upward compression very well. Just some thoughts, I love it!!
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
MORZ42
Analog Lurker
MORZ42 has a spectacular aura aboutMORZ42 has a spectacular aura about
Portland, Oregon
MC Status: 160

The ambient feel definitely carried me away although it made me feel more like I was in space then underground. I enjoyed the oscillating noises through out the song, they made the track more interesting.

------------------
MORZ42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I automatically REALLY like this because it's soundscapey, I have to put this disclaimer here for reasons. The mix, IMHO, is begging for some eq'ing, width, and breathing room. On the plus side, it's very experimental and perfectly fine the way it is for being so - the only downside is that although the sound palette is phenomenal, the air seems very stale (thin) and I kind of get the feeling that it's being squashed quite a bit (I've been wrong before, so don't take this as the one true word of jeebs).
I agree. Great textures, but wish you had played with the stereo space more to give it more dimension.

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Evoava
Sample Destroyer
Evoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This part is completely personal-taste related: It seems like you used a lot of downward compression, when the master bus would probably absorb some multiband upward compression very well. Just some thoughts, I love it!!
Thank you! I made this when I didn't know how to mess with stereo, or really how to EQ correctly. I'm better at it, but still need lots of practice. Also, I didn't master it at all, so no compression. It's just the nature of the EQ and noise going through it giving it that compressed feeling I suppose. With all honesty I still don't know how to compress stuff correctly ( I just use it to make it louder), or what downward compression is, or why the master bus would absorb multiband upward compression. I guess I should get on that O.o

Thank you. I would think space would have much less air rushey noiseiness. Thing is I think it could work for either/or, and the name could have been suggestive of either/or!

Quote:
I agree. Great textures, but wish you had played with the stereo space more to give it more dimension.
Yep, totally right. I've heard this from like everyone so you must be right! A question though. is it generally the mastering stage that brings out greater stereo width? I'm really bad at eeking out the last 10-15% that many people can, but I'm a mediocre mixer, and pretty clueless on using compression the right way.

------------------

Me Soundclewd
Old 07-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoava View Post
Thank you! I made this when I didn't know how to mess with stereo, or really how to EQ correctly. I'm better at it, but still need lots of practice. Also, I didn't master it at all, so no compression. It's just the nature of the EQ and noise going through it giving it that compressed feeling I suppose. With all honesty I still don't know how to compress stuff correctly ( I just use it to make it louder), or what downward compression is, or why the master bus would absorb multiband upward compression. I guess I should get on that O.o
By that, I mainly mean the atmosphere being pulled upward (delicately!) would sound fucking great. The track is good, though, no matter how you cut it.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Evoava
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
By that, I mainly mean the atmosphere being pulled upward (delicately!) would sound fucking great. The track is good, though, no matter how you cut it.
I'm still not sure what you mean. Do you mean compositionally, as in it becomes more crescendo-y, or the noise in the background becoming more prominent?

------------------

Me Soundclewd
Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoava View Post
I'm still not sure what you mean. Do you mean compositionally, as in it becomes more crescendo-y, or the noise in the background becoming more prominent?
I mean upward compression on the design end of mixing (master bus mixing).
Old 10-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
keysersozeh
Analog Lurker
keysersozeh will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Evoava

I love this!

U have a neck for creating space using sounds .

------------------
keysersozeh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Evoava
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
I mean upward compression on the design end of mixing (master bus mixing).
Okay, I'll google that! Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Evoava

I love this!

U have a neck for creating space using sounds .
My brain is useless, but my neck is a different story!

------------------

Me Soundclewd
Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24010

It came on and I was like yo I mess with this. I'd put more reverb brah

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
Evoava
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
It came on and I was like yo I mess with this. I'd put more reverb brah
MORE reverb? Sarcasm? Lol xD

------------------

Me Soundclewd
Old 13-06-2014, 03:45 AM   #13
EDM Academy
Minor Glitch
EDM Academy has a spectacular aura aboutEDM Academy has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

This song has a dissonant feel but the elements don't clash because there's a lot of space in the mix. I like the ambience of it. Sounds like you're using a spring reverb on some stuff, I love that effect.

Advertisements

EDM Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote