An exploration in blending acoustic guitar/fingerstyle with electronic/downtempo
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Effulgence
Sample Destroyer
Effulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MC
Boulder, CO, USA
MC Status: 2593405
Icon3 [Electroacoustic/Glitch] Acoustic Guitar + Glitch + Downtempo

Hey guys,

After a year and a half.. I'm releasing my first EP in a couple days, and I've been really trying to explore a mix of acoustic guitar/fingerstyle and electric guitar with electronic elements. Anyway, I'd really appreciate your constructive criticism. You can post/hit me up with some of your own tracks and I will return the favor with honesty as well.

Last edited by Effulgence; 05-06-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Effulgence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - An exploration in blending acoustic guitar/fingerstyle with electronic/downtempo.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421878329
Thanked 5,007 Times in 2,896 Posts
Re: An exploration in blending acoustic guitar/fingerstyle with electronic/downtempo

Very awesome. Reminds me a lot of late 90's Chicago indie stuff like American Football/Owen/Joan of Arc especially at the 1:45 mark. Compositionally it's good, with lot's of variety. Like that little synth that shows up at 0:55, plays three notes, and calls it a day. When the notes come together at exactly 1:00, it's definitely a goosebumps moment. I would personally remove that very high note that plays from 1:07 to around 1:30. Seems like it's part of the same synth, but I can't tell if it's some sort of reverb effect. I'm not even entirely sure it's really there and not just in my head.

I'm not too crazy about the end, as it just sort of seems to end, but no big deal.

My only critique is that the drums that come in at 1:10 (particularly the ride and cymbals) sound artificial. Always the same velocity and volume and such. I'm not sure if you were purposefully going for an artificial feeling, but to me they sound like you were going for something more realistic.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:03 AM   #3
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31560
Re: An exploration in blending acoustic guitar/fingerstyle with electronic/downtempo

I echo everything that guy said. ^ Aweseome music, just needs a little more polish. I found some of the cymbals/drums a little harsh in the upper mids.

Great music! You've got that magic thing going on. Keen to hear more of this.
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Effulgence
Sample Destroyer
Effulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MC
Boulder, CO, USA
MC Status: 2593405

Thanks Vlantis! I think the part you're talking about with the drums is right. I was going for an organic feel, and I'm not satisfied with how it ended up. Oh well, mistakes are inevitable.. But I'll keep it in mind next time! I'm glad it was enjoyable though.

------------------
Effulgence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotor View Post
just needs a little more polish
Agreed... but not too much!

I really love the "raw" and candid feel that this has, and it really gives the atmosphere a really nice intimate feel. I think a bit of care should be taken with polishing it up so as to not lose that feel, but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem.

Really nicely done!

Advertisements

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote