[Liquid DnB] Speaking Static - Aluminum
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 29-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837898
[Liquid DnB] Speaking Static - Aluminum

A track I've been working on. I'm happy with it, but if you notice something way out of whack let me know.

Advertisements

TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Liquid DnB] Speaking Static - Aluminum.
Old 29-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Genki B
Granular Poster
Genki B will become famous soon enough
Lincoln
MC Status: 60
Icon6 Re: [Liquid DnB] Speaking Static - Aluminum

Generally sounds good. The guitar sounds so sweet. I would maybe cut around the 200Hz area and boost around 100 Hz to make the track deeper, it would sound sick in a nightclub. A high passed reverb on the kick would sound good too. Did you parallel compress anything?
Genki B is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
Re: [Liquid DnB] Speaking Static - Aluminum

Actually, no parallel compression at all. The drum buss has a multiband. I have it set so that it heavily compresses the very highs, because they had way too much attack and were distracting from the rest of the song. The mids have low to no compression because it took away from the snare. The low end has a mild amount of comp. Something around 1:1.3. All of the thresholds are fairly low (closer to the bottom, rather than the top)

The kick drum actually pumps just the low end of the pads, because otherwise things mix pretty terribly.

The guitar was actually the simplest part of everything. It's a classical guitar I got at a thrift store for 8 dollars. It's mic'd at the 12th fret with a pyle sm-57 clone, highpassed around 200hz, and slightly compressed.

------------------
My latest work:
Old 29-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Audio Geometry
Minor Glitch
Audio Geometry is a jewel in the roughAudio Geometry is a jewel in the roughAudio Geometry is a jewel in the roughAudio Geometry is a jewel in the rough
Ithaca, NY
MC Status: 310

The drums sound really good on this, nice and crisp. Good vibe, too.

The thing that kept distracting me, though, was the really short sample (Ride? Comes in high, and then you pitch it down) that loops over and over again and then just cuts out. It felt really abrupt when it ended and was taking my focus away from the other parts.

I also feel like the snare build-up around 4:15 could use some sort of pad or ambient texture in the background, but that's just me. Really nice ending to the track, too. Good work.
Audio Geometry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Yeah, I agree, that shakey ride could be a couple decibels softer in the mix with some subtractive eq to take up a touch less space.

Wish the bass was a little bit louder. Nice ideas.

And yes. Love the guitar!

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
twilitez
IDMf Artist
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Gonna echo what people said already, the ride's need some tweaking, and i dont really like the beat until the 22-23 second mark, it sounds too choppy/ stale until then. After that its pretty cool. Im not quite sure what would need changing there but i feel something does. Otherwise i havent heard many up-tempo dnb tracks building on a guitar, and you seem to have a template for doing it right here.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Strut D
Analog Lurker
Strut D has a spectacular aura aboutStrut D has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 160

I like everything apart from the ride

------------------
Strut D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:05 AM   #8
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
Vermont

Which one are you thinking is the ride? I actually was kind of sparse in my usage of a ride

Oh, and it turns out I actually have a 2 band on the guitar. I compressed the highs at 4:1 and the lows at 2:1

I'll mess with the cymbals a bit when I prepare this for an album.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
FL
MC Status: 91357273

the wizzer,

get rid of anything that sounds something like crickets in the hihats..

this is really good though..

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42418149
Thanked 5,683 Times in 3,694 Posts

Nice feel to this.

Hihats are very obtrusive and piercing, they would benefit from a slap round the earhole and told to be a bit quieter.

Bassline was a little quiet for my taste. I've got a feeling though that the only way to get it louder in the mix would be to reduce the other parts.

I didn't really like the military style drumming part, though thats a bias of mine rather than a crit.

Strings were nice 'n' wide, and fitted around the guitar well.

Nice work, especially the guitar

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Strut D
Analog Lurker
Strut D has a spectacular aura aboutStrut D has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
Which one are you thinking is the ride? I actually was kind of sparse in my usage of a ride
it's whatever hitting on every 16th and sounds like there's less velocity on every 2nd step

------------------
Strut D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
DJ Alex
Granular Poster
DJ Alex will become famous soon enough

Other than what people have mostly said so far, like some of the percussion just sits there and rings in your ear like an alarm clock, would be much easier to hear some movement in there (alternating panning etc)

I can hear a velocity change like someone above me said but it still feels like an alarm clock I need to shut off :p

Catchy tune tho, gj
DJ Alex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
kenstowicz
Regular Freak
kenstowicz will become famous soon enough

I dig this track. would agree with boosting the sub i also say maybe a build with kicks during the fade to grey before the second drop. I like the ratatat esk break towards the end a lot. Maybe fill out the part with the snare rolls a little bit more. boosting the sub might take care of that. I feel like if you dropped an auto filter on the master and brought the freq down and then slowly up during the snare rolls might sound cool nice work man!
kenstowicz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
kenstowicz
Regular Freak
kenstowicz will become famous soon enough

oh and and try to cut some of the highs on the ride It feels like they're slightly on top of the track instead of in it
kenstowicz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
Vermont

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstowicz View Post
I dig this track. would agree with boosting the sub i also say maybe a build with kicks during the fade to grey before the second drop. I like the ratatat esk break towards the end a lot. Maybe fill out the part with the snare rolls a little bit more. boosting the sub might take care of that. I feel like if you dropped an auto filter on the master and brought the freq down and then slowly up during the snare rolls might sound cool nice work man!
Uhh, where is the fade to grey and the second drop? What is a fade to grey? I'm not too familiar with this terminology and people tend to mean different things by them. Supposedly there's the old definition of a drop, and the new one. I know neither.
I wrote this song using a verse/chorus 1/verse/bridge/chorus 1/ chorus 2 structure if that helps.

I think I might just lowpass the hats a bit, or compress the highs. I really have so much going on in this song right now that I want them to be less noticeable.

Advertisements