Reaper Users
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 23-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Lehsyrus
Granular Poster
Lehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really nice
MC Status: 360
Reaper Users

This question is for people who use Reaper as your main DAW. I have decided to move from FL: Studio to using Reaper and Cubase full time (Ocassionally Logic for the FX suite) and have a couple of questions.

Have you noticed Reaper progressively becoming slower each time it loads? I set Reaper up so it would always open a blank project as to save on loading times (if I wanted to say work on a new projects).

What is your favorite theme? I might make my own theme from scratch with the best options available but I want to know why some people like their theme's to get a little inspiration. Sometimes people think of things that I would have never thought of.

Do your FX bog Reaper down? I've noticed when working on Hardstyle kicks that if I have around 10 EQ's and 8-10 Distortion plugs that Reaper gets EXTREMELY slow, hence why I use Logic for my kicks now.

Any tips on the piano roll? I don't know why, but I just can't get used to it. I always have to mess with it to be able to snap a clip to the section I want. I'll set it to snap on 64th notes but then it will only do 32nd, which is a pain.

Advertisements

Lehsyrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
FL
MC Status: 91357273
Re: Reaper Users

haven't had a problem with reaper loading slowly, but i don't use the newest version i haven't updated in like a year or more..version 2 might actually be better than 3 or 4 or whatever but i haven't had any problems or need to update or change so i have left it as it is..

i use the default 3.0 theme..i like the color..

that's a lot of plugins..i have never had that problem with EQ and distortion and im using a PC from 2008 or so..are you using the native EQ and distortion plugins or external stuff?

with the piano roll and the track editor, have you tried pressing the up/down directional keys..that zooms in the X axis, Page_UP and Page_DOWN keys zoom in and out of the Y axis..if you weren't aware of this feature..

it could be the version of reaper, computer overloaded with spyware, or some odd thing like that. perhaps someone else can be of more assistance here..

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

Nope loads fine for me on the Oct 7th update. I've always had it set to load up without loading a project. Have you been recording audio and not deleting the excess takes? File>Clean Current Project Directory will delete any unused files from the folder the project is in (and you really should separate projects into their own folders) which cuts down on loading times. Also, a cpu-intensive vst/vsti plugin could be the culprit. Try loading the project with each plugin offline (not bypassed, offline) and see if it's faster.

Never had a major issue with slowdown before but then again, refer back to my previous statement about badly coded plugins...it's possible you may be using an unreliable one somewhere.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
Lehsyrus
Granular Poster
Lehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Nope loads fine for me on the Oct 7th update. I've always had it set to load up without loading a project. Have you been recording audio and not deleting the excess takes? File>Clean Current Project Directory will delete any unused files from the folder the project is in (and you really should separate projects into their own folders) which cuts down on loading times. Also, a cpu-intensive vst/vsti plugin could be the culprit. Try loading the project with each plugin offline (not bypassed, offline) and see if it's faster.

Never had a major issue with slowdown before but then again, refer back to my previous statement about badly coded plugins...it's possible you may be using an unreliable one somewhere.
Thanks for the response. I've been separating my projects (I have about 127 full songs, all without a kick because I haven't been able to make a kick that works with each song) to keep them from being cluttered, but I didn't even know Reaper had a feature to delete unused files. I'll give that a shot right now. Thanks brother!
Old 23-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

No probs. As far as themes go I'm like hellscion and just use the 3.0 default since i started on that and just know it well. I do have this one installed as well:

But i dont use it. Maybe if i had 2 monitors I would though.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Lehsyrus (24-10-2013)
Old 23-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

no major hiccups with Reaper here either, it works smoothly even with a lot of FX going on

the piano roll does indeed take some time to get used to, but once you get the hang of it it works kinda nicely - plus, it has improved a lot in recent updates

as for themes: i only managed to "get used" to Reaper after installing ReaBORN 2, if that means anything. It's the only theme that makes sense to me, as weird as it may seem; i also find the default one to be kinda "ugly", idk

------------------
ndwella is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
FL
MC Status: 91357273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
Thanks for the response. I've been separating my projects (I have about 127 full songs, all without a kick because I haven't been able to make a kick that works with each song) to keep them from being cluttered, but I didn't even know Reaper had a feature to delete unused files. I'll give that a shot right now. Thanks brother!

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
ciolo
IDMf's latest spammer
ciolo is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Loading time depends on how many tracks and vsts I have on them. Reaper starts in a blink. As for theme I use a mod of the default theme - default analog

i.imgur.com/YZXL9zp.gif
ciolo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

Check your preferences settings for number of UNDO files and how it handles them. Maybe you turned on some of the EXTRA undo saving settings. Also check the auto save function. Maybe it's busy backing up the project while you are trying to work.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Numerical (29-10-2013)
Old 27-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
SUN of IRA
Soundwave Mangler
SUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant future
Manchester
MC Status: 1610

When I'm using Reaper, I just use the default theme although there are some seriously good looking skins around if you look for them.

Also, never had any problems with speed on load up but I cant imagine ever needing to use 10 of anything on a single channel never mind 10 EQs and 10 Distortions.
SUN of IRA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Icon12 Reaper usage

Reaper has most of the features i need and use. I also like energy xt and multitrackstudio pro plus but they are both still somewhat in development. FL Studio i use a bit also, but i do not understand it's interface as well. No probs here except for laptop hardware being slow and neediing adjusstments.

------------------

Currently Listening To: USB
Old 30-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Lehsyrus
Granular Poster

Thanks everyone, I received a lot of helpful answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUN of IRA View Post
When I'm using Reaper, I just use the default theme although there are some seriously good looking skins around if you look for them.

Also, never had any problems with speed on load up but I cant imagine ever needing to use 10 of anything on a single channel never mind 10 EQs and 10 Distortions.
It's only for my hardstyle kicks. I've seen some major artists go up to thirty plugins in the chain to receive the kick they want. It's a distort, EQ, cutting/layering game.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
Funky Koval
Analog Lurker
Funky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of light
Toronto
MC Status: 510

30 plugs? Wow. I layer maybe two kicks together and some distrotion.

As for reaper, excellent DAW, very flexible. There have been a ton of midi improvements in the last release. I love how you can link VST parameters to knobs in the mixer. Huge time saver as I don't have to pull up the vst window everytime I want to make a small adjustment.
Funky Koval is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Koval View Post
I love how you can link VST parameters to knobs in the mixer. Huge time saver as I don't have to pull up the vst window everytime I want to make a small adjustment.
Wow, I didn't know about that! How is that accomplished? Please explain!

------------------

Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Funky Koval
Analog Lurker
Funky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Koval is a glorious beacon of light
Toronto
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfiledVegan View Post
Wow, I didn't know about that! How is that accomplished? Please explain!
In the mixer right click on empty space and select show fx parameters when size permits. Load up your VST or VSTi, back in the mixer right click on the fx parameter knob(resize the mixer until you see them) and assign the desired parameter(on the channel your VST plugin is loaded). Voila.

Last edited by Funky Koval; 08-11-2013 at 11:43 PM..
Funky Koval is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11499554
Thanked 1,242 Times in 906 Posts

Anyone use and edit the JS (jesusonic) plug ins? I was wondering about how some of the variables worked in one of them.

Advertisements

------------------
"I imagine for something like that you'd need a rather large number of microphones"
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
Even Unregistered can compete in the latest BEAT BATTLE!!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote