Studio One - scoring to video setup/tip/tutorial sort of kinda...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 21-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603
Studio One - scoring to video setup/tip/tutorial sort of kinda...

yeah ok. so there's been some discussions about this around the nets and I've figured out a way to work somewhat conveniently with Studio One and video. for thos of you who doesn't know, Studio One doesn't have a proper scroll function, but works the same way live does: by bars.

Well, there's a workaround for that of course, and I am here to tell you how to work around it + give some tips around encoding and whatnots to get smooth playback without having to wait to decoding and whatnots while working, so you can effortlessly scroll frame-by-frame and insert your markers where needed.

copypaste from the facebook post I made in the Studio One group:

Quote:
ok. for those of you doing scoring to video, here's what i've gathered so far. Studio One doesn't have a scroll, but there's a workaround for that. For me, Apple photo jpeg A works the best as a codec for playback.

I've set mine to 50% quality and will use the highquality footage to glue with the audio via an external video editor.

------------------------------------
So here's how you can set it up so that you can scroll frame-by-frame with studio one and your arrow keys + easily insert markers for cues:

First, go into your keyboard shortcuts and set "nudge" to arrow key left, and "nudge back as your right arrow key.
set "insert named" to something neat; I've set mine up to use Tab.

Now, rightclick the timeline and select Timebase -> Frames.
Next, go to options and enable Cursor follows edit position.

Now insert an empty audio track, call it something (named mine transport fix), select a range and hit ctrl+b to bounce it down to an empty audio track.

Whenever you need to scroll through the timeline, select this empty audio track and scroll with the arrow keys, and the event will nudge one frame at a time.

What will happen is that the playcursor will always stay at the very leftmost position of the event, and the event will move by frames; It is independent of the snap settings too.

There you go, simple scoring workaround for those crucial sync-moments ^^.
and here's the updates I did to the same post:

Quote:
Note: this will create a huge amount of nudge-history events so it's best to use this for inserting markers only, as you'd probably want the history list to be intact for audio work later on in the project
and here:

Quote:
a little update then: re-encoding the video from a 420p mp4 to jpegA at 30% quality retains enough image quality to work with while you can move around the timeline as you wish without any delay whatsoever. this is on a 7200rpm harddrive, so I'd imagine that it would work quite well on an SSD.
if you have a video you want to do sound design on and you have no idea how to get it, there's a little script called "Keep It" with an accompanying website here:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

best thing is, you can choose what quality to download

Advertisements

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to gbsr
Str8Jaketed (22-10-2013)
Old 22-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010
Re: Studio One - scoring to video setup/tip/tutorial sort of kinda...

Never used Studio One..I use to use Nuendo for my film score work for the most part..but SOnar does a good enough job foe me thus far..

awesome tips n things gbsr...thanks...

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

you should try it. studio one is so damn fast to work with that it's worth to even have to settle with a workaround for scoring.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
josnza
Learning The Ropes
josnza is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

thanks so much... that really helped...

Advertisements

josnza is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote