How do you drum? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 21-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269481408
Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,089 Posts
Re: How do you drum?

I have a drum rack with a Sampler on the C1, with 128 different kicks and a select knob, 128 chh on the next cell, 128 snares on the following one and 128 ohh in the next one.
This way I can just load that drum rack and start the fun and automate the changes in samples...
The snares cell actually has two samplers with 128 each, for mixing different type of snares.

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
chasedobson (21-07-2013)
Old 21-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #42
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

@Auto

This too is a solid approach. I have a few friends who use the same method.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #43
ChiefWildHawk
Granular Poster
ChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the roughChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the roughChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the rough
B.C.
MC Status: 260

I've had a few years of drumming but finger drumming is another thing entirely.
Simple beats became difficult to get just right, although that may be due to lack of proper tools.

I use my launchpad to work out my drums and touch them up later by realigning them how I originally wanted them.

Much more fun than just clicking a part and duplicating it where I want it, makes good practice too!
ChiefWildHawk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #44
PazzyPazzy
Minor Glitch
PazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the rough
California
MC Status: 260

At any point in time - I've probably put together drums using a variety of these techniques. Initially as a beginner I would sample a drumlne - drastically alter it - and then place the beat end to end into a playlist. I've also dabbled with the Burial technique of dragging and dropping - this in particular I still do often - I have found that programming complex rhythms isn't always easy for me. Often times I found myself wanting to translate a djembe line into an electronic beat - these weren't always in 4/4 - so dragging was more intuitive than using a step sequencer.

I had hated using my MIDI controller - but it wasn't until recently that I realized I had the latency settings turned up way too fuckin' high - even sustained basslines were lagging in time. I now record a drum line using a MIDI controller with low latency (sounds like shit) and then adjust the settings until the beat is listenable. Sometimes these beats are even chopped and dragged within the playlist. Sometimes I find it to be much quicker.
PazzyPazzy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #45
DJ Sneakman
Regular Freak
DJ Sneakman will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Just for fun i rigged up some rockband drums to work with fl studio and messed around with some chiptune samples like that. That kinda sparked an idea to make the toy actually usable say in a performance. I'd select my samaples and play them in time with the song or i could record them and use the drum pads to trigger other stuff.
DJ Sneakman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #46
GooeyGus
Minor Glitch
GooeyGus has a spectacular aura aboutGooeyGus has a spectacular aura aboutGooeyGus has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I set the samples to my axiom pads in battery and then finger drum it all teh way!!! (of course I always go back and touch stuff up... I don't have robot precision!)
GooeyGus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #47
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Until now I was prgramming my drums. But now I haw a controller for my new projects. And also I tried to use iPad as a drum machine.

------------------
Looking for inspiration and free secondhand hardware.
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Mala - Alicia
Old 12-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #48
interestedoz
Learning The Ropes
interestedoz is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
I feel like I'm the only one who still loads samples in the sequencer and clicks notes on a screen for my drums.
hehe no i do that too!!

Also to the OP - I don't think there is anything wrong with admitting drums are not your strength! It is definately NOT one of my strengths either. Drum loops can be extremely effective if used legally and properly. I've seen some amazing stuff by professionals using drum loops. It all depends on you I gues and your preferences..

Last edited by interestedoz; 12-08-2013 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: typo
interestedoz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #49
Lehsyrus
Granular Poster
Lehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I have a Yamaha electronic drum set. What I do is set up the brain to MIDI out to my AI, then adjust it in my DAW. For the sounds I either record random sounds, different taps with drum sticks on different materials (I have nineteen different types of drumsticks from being in the drum line back in high school), or I just make the sounds using layers in a soft synth. I prefer recording sounds and adjusting them though, and recording the same sound multiple times because it always sound slightly different, then using them interchangeably to keep the percussion moving.
Lehsyrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #50
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Wardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the rough
Massachusetts
MC Status: 310

I have an Alesis studio USB drum kit and I basically record with Addictive Drums. From there, I just literally go in and edit each hit manually. I usually avoid quantizing because I sometimes like to intentionally keep certain segments of the track slightly "offbeat" just to keep things sounding a little more realistic. I usually finish editing everything in the piano roll and then copy each part to a new track (e.g. separate the kick, snare, toms, and cymbals as their own tracks) but honestly, I never really do much with these tracks. It's mainly just so I can more easily add delays and reverb. But otherwise when I'm not literally drumming, I just use a sequencer.

------------------
Wardruna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #51
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have been going through this thread a couple of times and they really helped

I have been trying placing all the samples manually on the grid and I tried using midi with samples in the drum rack. Both were okay I think, just not completely as I'd want it... I dunno
I'll be trying out Addictive Drums the following days (finally have some more free time ), looks promising and perhaps a bit more in line with what I'd like to do...

I'll keep on trying stuff, perhaps you'll see something appear in the LB sometime...

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #52
Big-Kelo
Learning The Ropes
Big-Kelo is currently spamming hard
Gaborone

Hello, maybe if you could divide your drumming patterns into Verse/Chorus/Bridge then play differently at each hence more drumming patterns... Hint: have the main pattern looped at 8 bars (with Kick, snare, hi hat,shaker, tambourine...) then alter the pattern at the chorus (now on the grid) by adding more percussions or by playing a different pattern for the same (hi hat/ shaker) used at the verse just so the song could have more varience in terms of rhythm from percussions. Always make sure you have each drum on it's lane within the DAW....that way it will be easy to alter each on the grid and it also makes it easy to control gains, panning etc........
Big-Kelo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #53
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

Haha, don't have a chorus/verse structure

------------------
Thanks to Nyul
RFJ (19-08-2013)
Old 19-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #54
Big-Kelo
Learning The Ropes
Big-Kelo is currently spamming hard
Gaborone

it was for the sake of explanation only, the common song structure is Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus and mostly Pop songs have Bridge...so what i meant was, for your verse you can have a certain pattern, then at the chorus, slighlty alter that pattern to your taste.......
Big-Kelo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #55
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527

I played the drums for 4 years which helped me out heaps.

If you are struggling to find samples/sounds that fit together, picture your drums in a sense of a band and visualize how each sound would be played.

Busing and grouping your tracks with universal effects and changes will help everything fit together well. When you control all your drum sounds together they begin to take on the same feel.

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #56
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

Two things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Kelo View Post
Hello, maybe if you could divide your drumming patterns into Verse/Chorus/Bridge then play differently at each hence more drumming patterns... Hint: have the main pattern looped at 8 bars (with Kick, snare, hi hat,shaker, tambourine...) then alter the pattern at the chorus (now on the grid) by adding more percussions or by playing a different pattern for the same (hi hat/ shaker) used at the verse just so the song could have more varience in terms of rhythm from percussions. Always make sure you have each drum on it's lane within the DAW....that way it will be easy to alter each on the grid and it also makes it easy to control gains, panning etc........
The main key to making this work effectively is a lead in. Most of the time when I change my beat and just change it, out of the blue with no prior notice, it's clunky. It happens too fast and doesn't ever seem to fit. So, what you'll want to do is pull a hit, or two, or three, or four (whatever works, there's no rule here, so long as you use your ears) from the new part back into the old before the new part totally hits. Nothing serious, just a few hats or snare hits that start a few counts before the end of the old and lead in to the first few counts of the new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
Haha, don't have a chorus/verse structure
Chorus / verse has been done and done to death, so I think you're on the right track, if you can figure out ways of keeping it interesting throughout the work. My previous statement still applies about lead in's though. I try and stay away from verse chorus too, but I use them all the time, in all manner of things, not just drums.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #57
TheBug
Regular Freak
TheBug is currently spamming hard

I feel dwarfed by everyone in this thread, but I like using the step sequencer and samples if you know what I mean. I have iMashine on my ipod, I could F around with that too, but it aint the same as the real thing.
TheBug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #58
Nyul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The main key to making this work effectively is a lead in. Most of the time when I change my beat and just change it, out of the blue with no prior notice, it's clunky. It happens too fast and doesn't ever seem to fit. So, what you'll want to do is pull a hit, or two, or three, or four (whatever works, there's no rule here, so long as you use your ears) from the new part back into the old before the new part totally hits. Nothing serious, just a few hats or snare hits that start a few counts before the end of the old and lead in to the first few counts of the new.
That's actually really good advice. It's actually something pretty obvious, just something that you'd forget to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Chorus / verse has been done and done to death, so I think you're on the right track, if you can figure out ways of keeping it interesting throughout the work. My previous statement still applies about lead in's though. I try and stay away from verse chorus too, but I use them all the time, in all manner of things, not just drums.
I would actually love to make a bit more chorus/verse one day, just having two (or more) blocks that alternate. I like music that goes back to a previous point and repeats it but way better (like Brain Ear J Slug for example )
My music always ends up having a linear flow...

------------------
Old 27-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #59
Tranq
Tranq is a jewel in the roughTranq is a jewel in the roughTranq is a jewel in the roughTranq is a jewel in the rough
Belgrade, Serbia
MC Status: 310

i start off by playing my darbuka, then i would record some snippets of it into my mobile phone recorder, transfer it into live library and then i would either:

a) convert it into MIDI (sometimes the result is awesome, usually it's just shitty)

b) warp it and play with editing capabilities for hours, applying effects and so forth

then i would layer all that with my existing (some will say more normal sounding) library and program my beats by sequencing.
Tranq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #60
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
Icon4 Re: How do you drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
I keep struggling with drums and percussion in general, I would love to use more drums but I always get discouraged way too fast. I tried a couple of methods: drum racks, placing samples manually on the grid, trackers (a little bit); but none of them really worked out for me (partly because I'm quite lazy sometimes).
But now I really want to pass this barrier for good.
I try to defeat DAW laziness by actively thinking like a sound engineer every moment of each day. Also, I try to do at least a few musical things each day, even if it's only sorting my DAW's files. That way, when it's time to work on music, something somewhere is already done.

I make my own readymade kits and mix and match them. Because of this, I primarily stay at the same 5 BPM's so I can mix and match with ease.

Typically I combine step sequencing, WAV grid placement, and resampling/editing of rerenderings.
Editing everything over and over again on the grid is how the pretty variations come about. I work mainly with audio even if the source was a MIDI VSTi.

For MIDI input, I like using auto-quantization of the input at a 32nd note resolution so that I can do triplets if I need to. But I have to use good timing of my muscles for that.

Other times, and moreso in the near future, I use FLstudio's step sequencer of WAV files. Using a large enough pattern size, good patterns can come about. I try to only use my own custom-made processed drum sounds.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote