Thoughts on nexus?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
nickw197
Granular Poster
nickw197 is currently spamming hard
Virginia
MC Status: 10
Thoughts on nexus?

soo... what are your thoughts on nexus? is it worth the money?

Advertisements

nickw197 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Dhinojosa94
Sample Destroyer
Dhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really nice
San Pedro Garza Garcia
MC Status: 410
Re: Thoughts on nexus?

yup, not the best value but it is a great product
Dhinojosa94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747143

If you're looking to get something else to add to your library, I'd say yes. If you're hoping to make basses, leads, and instruments from the ground up, no. It's a ROMpler-like VST, so you're basically editing sounds and not ever building them. That isn't to say you couldn't layer multiple instances together and make a larger instrument. For me, I like using it for some plucks, the arpeggiator on it can also be fun, and the classical/piano instruments are also pretty nice(what I've been using it most for lately).

If you're new to synthesis and/or don't have a sample library Nexus can help with that. But you can also get so many different samples and start to use your native sampler for a lot less, hell samples in most cases are free. Also, you can easily overuse it, which I know I used to do a lot and it's also a lazy man's vst. There isn't a lot of effort needed to get something from it. Probably more time spent searching the sounds out than anything else.

The initial purchase is $299 and they insanely want $2500 for all the expansions...In all honesty, that seems nuts. If you're looking at building up software, for $50 more you can get Zeta+2.1 and Izotope Iris. These are actually going to be my next purchases. =)

Hopefuly something useful in that mess of words.

EDIT - Would I buy it again, not as one of my first purchases.

------------------
Say :|
bbb is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
NightTiger
Regular Freak
NightTiger is currently spamming hard

In my opinion i only see the pads as any good and like bx3 said the piano/plucks also, everything else is over drenched with verb and delay to make them sound good but most of (almost all) the sounds sound like cheap cheesy leads and basslines you would here in a Rihanna song. i say definitely not worth the money.
NightTiger is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
onlyjessehutton
Learning The Ropes
onlyjessehutton is currently spamming hard

so yeah mom got this as a gift for me... some of the presets sounds great buuuuuut.. is it really this limited in sound design?! kinda blows my mind that something this expensive is built like this... is it something i'm not clicking on or....
onlyjessehutton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjessehutton View Post
so yeah mom got this as a gift for me... some of the presets sounds great buuuuuut.. is it really this limited in sound design?! kinda blows my mind that something this expensive is built like this... is it something i'm not clicking on or....
It's not a synthesizer with which you can create your own sounds. You're only able to take the sounds that come with Nexus (or that you buy as expansion packs) and apply effects / change those sounds to a degree. Personally, I don't see the appeal at all - especially when you're essentially paying for the audio samples that comprise the Nexus library, & the core functionality of the software is pretty basic as far as I've seen. For sound design there are much better and cheaper software synths available...Uhe Zebra for example.

Last edited by scyn; 12-10-2012 at 08:10 AM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Tech Warrior
Soundwave Mangler
Tech Warrior is just really niceTech Warrior is just really niceTech Warrior is just really niceTech Warrior is just really nice
MC Status: 360

In a nutshell, it feels like nothing more than just a preset bank. Even the editing is rather cheesy. There's not even much you have to work with. I used to use Nexus in earlier days. Nowadays I prefer to build sounds and work with more flexibile engines, so I hardly use Nexus a whole lot. Even then, I don't think the sounds are even all that high in quality. While there is quite a variety of them, most seem awfully standard to me.

Bx3 pretty much summed up Nexus. Don't use it for synthesis. I recommend Sylenth1 above anything. I don't use it as much as I did before, but I still use it, and it's pretty darn good. In addition, it's cheaper then Nexus, a lot. Nexus does not open that door for creativity; you're stuck with what they give you, and that's it. That's why I don't really prefer ROMplers. They're good for finding stuff on the fly, but they just don't expand your mind.

I don't recommend Nexus, really. The price itself is just... not right, especially considering it's not even a proper synthesizer. Get Sylenth1, or something else. I really don't care what.

------------------
Tech Warrior - Electronic/orchestral music producer of ALL kinds!
Here, I'll give you my YouTube. I upload there more frequently than on SoundCloud: www.youtube.com/TechWarriorOfficial.
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/tech-warrior
Tech Warrior is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightTiger View Post
also, everything else is over drenched with verb and delay to make them sound good but most of (almost all) the sounds sound like cheap cheesy leads and basslines you would here in a Rihanna song. i say definitely not worth the money.
You can turn off the reverbs and delay you know.

Most of the presets are layered and you can change the volume for each layer. I end up picking apart presets and mixing them up into something new to keep it from sounding obviously like nexus.

However, one big complaint of mine is that many parameters (such as the gate floor) can't be automated.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
You can turn off the reverbs and delay you know.

Most of the presets are layered and you can change the volume for each layer. I end up picking apart presets and mixing them up into something new to keep it from sounding obviously like nexus.

However, one big complaint of mine is that many parameters (such as the gate floor) can't be automated.
How dare you use Nexus MS.

------------------
Say :|
bbb is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
Middie (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

Ugh, people that use things to make things are the worst! Using a VST to make music? Sheesh...

In other news, I've only ever seen it used by a friend. He enjoys it, it went alright while he was using it. If you can afford it, go for it.

------------------
USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
KVillage1
Microknight
KVillage1 is currently spamming hard
Tzfat

i like it.you can play around with the presets a bit but it is limited. i like it for basic pads,keys,etc.some of the leads are really strong and cut thru mixes well.i would recommend it.plus there tons of libraries out there.

------------------
I make music from Israel and i have a really long beard - Also do some film composing.Peace.
http://soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage:victory:
KVillage1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Benwaa

I honestly for that kind of money would go for [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, on the surface essentially the same thing, underneath by far much more controllable and customizable
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
nickw197
Granular Poster
Virginia

Thanks for the replies guys, it was very informative. I was originally asking because I didn't know too much about it other than when I went on vengeance sound and it was one of the products listed. I've been producing for a couple years now and I actually own sylenth1, massive, and many others, but lately I've been thinking about venturing into the long dead handsup genre and I heard nexus was great for that. Now that I see its just a bunch of presets that you essentially can't do much with, I probably won't be getting it and I'll continue to do almost everything with sylenth.

If nexus was $50, that would be a different story.... but $300 is just too insane for something that isn't very versatile in the first place.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw197 View Post
I actually own sylenth1, massive, and many others
You've got a world of sound at your fingertips right there . I take it you know all those synths back to front?

Last edited by scyn; 12-10-2012 at 09:09 PM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
nickw197
Granular Poster
Virginia

for the most part, yes. I know sylenth alot better than I know massive, but even then I'm much more familiar with making electro basses and trance arps than all of those cheesy leads and celestial/piano sounds that you hear in most handsup music. I knew it was possible to make those sounds with what I have, but I didn't originally know that nexus was a ROM synthesizer in which all you have are presets to work with.
Old 13-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
JF2010
Minor Glitch
JF2010 is currently spamming hard

Nexus has some nice sounds, loads there if you put in the time to check it all out.

Just got Dune CM today which is FREE with a recent Computer Music Mag, looks like a powerful synth at first glance, might be worth checking out.
JF2010 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Skye Myles
Radial Developer
Skye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
I honestly for that kind of money would go for omnisphere, on the surface essentially the same thing, underneath by far much more controllable and customizable
I know this isn't the right thread for it, but I can't find an existing one

Why exactly is omnisphere good? I've heard about it from all over the place but havn't hear anything about why it's so special.
Skye Myles is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
Benwaa

just check it out and find out for yourself
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
Skye Myles
Radial Developer
Skye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to allSkye Myles is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Yeah, i've heard about their modulation possibilities... It does sound really tempting, but not enough to where i'll drop $500 easy and not like it. Honestly though, i'm looking for a good vst that can produce great lead sounds for progressive house. Omnisphere looks and sounds soooo good! But idk if it's what i need!
Skye Myles is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269481058
Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,083 Posts

I consider the Nexus-6 one of the greatest achievements of mankind. I doubt Tyrrell will do better than this.

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
Str8Jaketed (19-07-2013)