Windows : mouse pointer not fluid, Mac : Fluid
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 24-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Jonathan
Sample Destroyer
Jonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MC
Québec
MC Status: 323781
Windows : mouse pointer not fluid, Mac : Fluid

Hi,

I just switched from OSX to Windows and I want to know if I have a normal problem or an abnormal problem...

I'm running windows 7 on a macbook pro with bootcamp. When I for exemple turn a knob with my mouse (or trackpad) the result is not fluid ...it is chopped (jerky) ....visually the mouse pointer is fluid and everything goes well but my ears tells me it is jerky...

On OSX everything is fluid.

Also, I tried the same test on my old Dell running Vista and it is chopped too!

Here is an exemple of what I mean. It is 2 oscillator on FM8 where one sine wave is modulating another sine wave.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

1. (chopped) I drag up and down the amplitude of the modulator with the mouse.

2. (fluid) Using an amplitude envelope (Or the result dragging with OSX)

WHY?

HOW?

Thanx!

Advertisements

------------------
Jonathan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
Re: Windows : mouse pointer not fluid, Mac : Fluid

check all of your mouse settings. Operating systems have the ability to so some kind of smoothing of the mouse input and even amplitude changes of the differences in movement vectors to allow greater precision or smoothness or fluidity as you call it. Also, if it's a mouse, check to make sure you use the mouse on the same type of surface if it's a laser optical mouse. that makes a difference. and last but not least, make sure the mouse innards are clean of debris if it's a non-optical mouse. good luck.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Jonathan
Sample Destroyer
Jonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MC
Québec
MC Status: 323781

I tried everything I can see in control panel - mouse seting.

I have the same problem if I drag with the trackpad on windows, also I use the same mouse with OSX and I don't have that problem on OSX. So I don't thing it's the mouse.

I also have another computer on Vista that have the same problem...

I would be curious to see if everybody have that problem on windows....

------------------
Jonathan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408849
Thanked 5,497 Times in 3,572 Posts

Running Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 on various machines (laptops, shop-bought PCs and personally-built PC) and its fluid for me.

At a glance, looks like some kind of hardware driver conflict.

Only thing I can suggest is looking into updating your mouse driver and checking its hardware settings. These kind of conflicts sometimes indicate IRQ issues. The Windows event log might provide some clues.

Could be a USB issue, are you using an external audio interface? If so, do you get the same 'fluid' issues with the audio interface disconnected?

Sorry I can't give much more on it I'm afraid as I strongly dislike Macs and won't by choice use them.

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
rodan
Soundwave Mangler
rodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MC
Salt Lake City, UT
MC Status: 13442

I doubt this is your issue, but one thing I noticed moving from windows to osx was that the mouse system feels a lot different.

On OSX you have mouse acceleration and on windows you do not. As a result for me it was a lot harder to hit things accurately on OSX then Windows until I got used to it.

You might want to look for a mouse acceleration plugin for windows.
rodan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

The bootcamp drivers are probably the cause. All the hardware in Macs are very fine tuned for Os X, so everything is very smooth and well integrated. I'm pretty sure they have not spent the same amount of resources getting the drivers at the same level for Windows.

Advertisements

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote