Need quick help deciding: Alesis M1 active MKII or Behringer Truth B2031A
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 25-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010
Need quick help deciding: Alesis M1 active MKII or Behringer Truth B2031A

Hi,

I am in the process of buying one of these used monitors. I've read up about them but only had a chance to listen to the Behringers and I don't have the time as the deal on the dutch ebay is only one day left.

I can buy both of them for 200 euros. Which one should I choose?

The problem is I'm in the process of relocating and I don't know how big of a room my next house will be. Probably a semi-small one though. So I'm kinda worried that the Behringers will be too big for my room and I should go for the Alesis as they are a little less powerfull but then again I feel the quality of the Behringers outweighs the Alesis -although marginally.

I know in general Behringer has a bad 'rap' in the audioworld due to hit or miss with them and the use of inferior material but I really liked the sound and this particular series seem to get good reviews on the net.

Any words of wisdom?

Advertisements

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Need quick help deciding: Alesis M1 active MKII or Behringer Truth B2031A

Used and had the alesis, way underated IMO and a much better and nicer sound than the behringer too.
It's early so I'm keeping it short and sweet.

Either way, if you can at all, try to demo them in a shop if possible.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Just came in here to say that's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title, "I want the Alesis M1."

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam

Strange development: I now also have the chance to buy Rokit KRK 6 G2's for €220 euro's.
How do you guys feel about those compared to the Alesis and Behringers?

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Old 25-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

I would probably still go for the Alesis, or whichever is cheapest.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

I'd probably still go for the Alesis too if only because the Rokit 6's are fatiguing even at low volume, really harsh/over bright highs.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

I'm still in doubt. The specs of the Alesis and KRK 6's are the same considering frequensy response (min 40-49 Hz/max 20 -20.9 kHz) and the Behringers are the most expensive and have a 9 inch woofer..

From what I've read the Alesis are practically industry standard since they are the most flattest but these particular series of Behringers (although the brand has a bad imago) get good reviews and have switches for room EQ-ing plus get manually calibrated in the factory. The KRK's seem overhyped but still a lot of homeproducers work with them..
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, I read about the KRK harsh highs. I know you've been around for some time in the music scene so would you think it is fair to say it's personal preference as well? For eg. I love my Beyerdynamics DT990's exactly for their highs while some people can't stand it.

------------------
Old 25-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritos View Post
I'm still in doubt. The specs of the Alesis and KRK 6's are the same considering frequensy response (min 40-49 Hz/max 20 -20.9 kHz) and the Behringers are the most expensive and have a 9 inch woofer..

From what I've read the Alesis are practically industry standard since they are the most flattest but these particular series of Behringers (although the brand has a bad imago) get good reviews and have switches for room EQ-ing plus get manually calibrated in the factory. The KRK's seem overhyped but still a lot of homeproducers work with them..
, I read about the KRK harsh highs. I know you've been around for some time in the music scene so would you think it is fair to say it's personal preference as well? For eg. I love my Beyerdynamics DT990's exactly for their highs while some people can't stand it.
I don't know about Alesis being "industry standard" because I'm sure there are far flatter monitors. I feel like that term is a marketing buzz word.

And, yes, absolutely personal preference has so much to do with it! Not everyone can hear the same frequencies as well! I feel like I'm particularly sensitive to the high end as I often have to turn down "pro" songs because the highs are too intense for me.

I worked on the KRK Rokit 6s for years and have worked on a lot of other monitors in that price range in other people's studio. I'm fairly biased against them. But what I don't like about them is often echoed by other users in their reviews.

If you are working in a small untreated room, too much low end is going to be more of a problem than a help, so I wouldn't go with the Berhingers. Also, Berhinger is notorious for their products lack of build quality. I'd say cross those off your list because of that alone. Buying new Berhinger products is a gamble, buying used...yikes!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

Hmm.. you have me convinced that used Behringers might not be the way to go although I still think they're nice monitors.

I just read on Gearslutz the MKII's are often compared with Yamaha NS10s hence the 'industry standard' (but agreed on the buzzzzz..).

Now have to wait untill I receive word from the KRK guy again (hate it when people don't check their email at least once a day).

Still in doubt between the KRKs and MKII's. The KRK's come with warranty and cables so pricewise it's a better deal. It's just I've never heard them unlike the KRK's so tough choice!

------------------
Old 27-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

No word from the KRK-guy so the deal appears to be off. Have been looking around and I found this strange deal in Germany where I can buy a pair of NEW Tannoy 501A's for only €230 euros! [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'm also bidding in an auction on a pair of Yamaha HS50's which I could probably get for the same amount.
(or anyone else's input is also greatly appreciated) Do you have any experience with the Tannoys and how do you feel about the choice HS50/501A?

I want to get as much bass as possible in a small room without getting into acoustic problems and for that I can probably borrow an ARC or ERGO from a studio to EQ out my room and place some basstraps. Given this opportunity and the deal on these 2 monitors, what would be your advice?

Or would others still opt for the Alesis?

------------------
Old 29-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
cpt.credible
Minor Glitch
cpt.credible will become famous soon enoughcpt.credible will become famous soon enough
Oslo
MC Status: 110

I owned one pair of Alesis M1 Active MKII and liked them so much i bought a second pair for sound installations and studio away from home. I feel they are a bit bassy though but I'm used to them.

One of them died a couple of months ago (after being in my possession for 6-7 years, and I have been pretty careless about avoiding bangs and so forth when hot plugging) but a replacement power regulator-pcb sorted it right out. cost-not-lots

+1 for Alesis
cpt.credible is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: cpu cooling fan
Old 29-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Cloudstruck
Minor Glitch
Cloudstruck will become famous soon enough
asheville nc
MC Status: 60

ive always heard good things about the mkiis
always wanted to try a pair
Cloudstruck is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

Today I went to the store and listened to the KRK5's, the Yamaha MS50's and the Tannoy 501's.

The KRK's were way too bassy and although I liked the MS50's the Tannoys definitely caught my ear. They are both more clear in the highs and surprisingly enough had more bass than the MS50's while not being so boomy as the KRK's. Unfortunately they didn't have the MKII's but for now the Tannoys 501 are my no. 1. Wish I could have a chance to listen to the 601's and the MKII's though...

------------------
Old 30-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Benwaa

the HS50's are shit for a yamaha monitor IMO anyway, they just haven't got it. a mate uses them and his mixes are always lacking in bass and sound a bit thin on top of that too. it's impossible to judge accurately the bass with them so really hard to get a balanced mix with - but that's purely my opinion. the hs70 though are a dfferent thing altogether, much much nicer all round, but twice the price unfortunately. from what you're saying the 601's or the MKII's would be about right for you.
I've never heard the active tannoys so couldn't comment on those either the rokits are just hyped about far too much for what they are, and i'm certain they have yellow cones just to grab buyers attention away from the not so good sound.

anyway, being as you don't know the new room size, maybe wait until you do to make the right choice?
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
the HS50's are shit for a yamaha monitor IMO anyway, they just haven't got it. a mate uses them and his mixes are always lacking in bass and sound a bit thin on top of that too. it's impossible to judge accurately the bass with them so really hard to get a balanced mix with - but that's purely my opinion. the hs70 though are a dfferent thing altogether, much much nicer all round, but twice the price unfortunately. from what you're saying the 601's or the MKII's would be about right for you.
I've never heard the active tannoys so couldn't comment on those either the rokits are just hyped about far too much for what they are, and i'm certain they have yellow cones just to grab buyers attention away from the not so good sound.

anyway, being as you don't know the new room size, maybe wait until you do to make the right choice?
You're absolutely right about the advice to wait for my definitve housing situation. It's just that I'm in 'buying modus' plus -since I now still live in a house with no connecting neighbours I'd like to hear my new monitors for comparisson reasons (big vs. small room + no neighbours = top volume). Also there's a chance I will go in debt repayment as I am forced (due to a divorce) to sell my house with a debt of 100.000+ euros! If this is the case my finances will be cut off and I can forget buying anything at all for the next three years so... I'm kind of in a tough spot just squeezing out the last possibilites for upgrading my setup

I know the new Yamaha series (5/7/8) are great and probably better (and more expensive) than the MKII's but I feel the 601's will have too much bass as I felt the 501's already blew me away with their punchy bass (much to my surprise I might add) so.. Maybe I will see a good deal but for now the 501's seem like the best option since they're the cheapest plus come with 2 year warranty.

Thanks anyway!

------------------
Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a smaller than 20 m2 room so that's a given fact now.
As I sold some other stugg I now also have the opportunity to buy some used KRK VXT4's for €380 euros. I never heard them but from what I've read the VXT series are much more than the hype around the KRK 6's -which you can get used for €300 euros.

So would it be wise to invest in VXT4s? (Lower and higer frequensie response than the Rokits while having a small woofer to avoid room acoustic problems).

Advertisements

------------------