Ethno samples wanted
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:28 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 961 Posts
Icon5 Ethno samples wanted

Does anyone have a go to source for some of the cliche samples that you always hear when it comes to world/ethnic/fusion music.

I am thinking about those Reggae samples (steel guitar stabs, bass guitar, funky guitar, some vocal samples of an enthusiastic MC), Indian music (benwaa directed me to some Sitars, now I am lacking, those particular bongo-ish sounds, nasal female singer, the works). Also Middle Eastern plucked strings would be nice.

I guess some of you are by now troubled by what I might do with all that crap. Hell, I really like Thievery Corp.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
lakeknight
Granular Poster
lakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nice
MC Status: 410
Re: Ethno samples wanted

Learn to use search engines (what evelon said last time). It's not that hard. You can always just copy-paste commands. You'll get tons of results a lot faster than asking other people for samples. You'll be all independent and shit

Or you know.. get some albums and sample them..
lakeknight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Point taken, but as you probably have seen yourself, you tend to get a lot of junk that way. So, if there are fellow producers, perhaps that might be a way to hasten finding good ones. Feel free to ignore my post, though.

And thank you for suggesting sampling. That was very insightful.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
lakeknight
Granular Poster
lakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nice

Yea, you're gonna get a lot of junk either way.. just gotta find what you think sounds good from all the crap.

Yes, sampling. I don't know what the deal is where you live but our local library has tons of albums in just about any genre = tons of sampling to be made. If you got the time. Judging from your posts, you probably don't
Old 09-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Does anyone have a go to source for some of the cliche samples that you always hear when it comes to world/ethnic/fusion music.

I am thinking about those Reggae samples (steel guitar stabs, bass guitar, funky guitar, some vocal samples of an enthusiastic MC), Indian music (benwaa directed me to some Sitars, now I am lacking, those particular bongo-ish sounds, nasal female singer, the works). Also Middle Eastern plucked strings would be nice.

I guess some of you are by now troubled by what I might do with all that crap. Hell, I really like Thievery Corp.
You might laugh at this and maybe it doesn't hold true anymore. But when I was doing pro-audio work, my old go to for world music loops and samples was Loopmasters. Bala Indian something or other was a good one that had a bunch of Indian percussions, vocalisations and some sitar Kontakt banks. They also had some Afro-cuban, dub and reggae packs and such.

So definitely check out their back catalogue. There's nothing groundbreaking in there. But I think that's what you're looking for.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204110
Thanked 4,082 Times in 3,034 Posts

There's tons of places out there where you can grab files like the ones you want. Three that spring to mind are sampleism.com, MusicRadar.com and primeloops.com. I know there are others..just can't think of them off the top of my head at the mo.

Some offer free sets and kits, but the usual is the paid packs are of a far better quality. Still, there's nothing wrong with most of the free ones I've ever encountered..apart from the real pain in the arse of some not looping properly..meaning you have to edit them and add your own fades. Still I guess free is free and we shouldn't complain.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeknight View Post
Learn to use search engines (what evelon said last time). It's not that hard. You can always just copy-paste commands. You'll get tons of results a lot faster than asking other people for samples. You'll be all independent and shit
Advising someone to ask a machine for advice over a human is the dumbest advice ever because machines are dumb.

And I've never found Google to be a good source for locating audio which I can license for use in my own work. There are some free services like the aptly named freesound.org. But for one, you have to sort through a lot of chaff to get the wheat. And secondly, I find I am constantly frustrated because I always end up finding a lot of samples which have great content, but terrible production values.

In my professional experience, I've usually had three choices. Make something, ask someone else to make something or buy something. Maybe incorporate google if you're working with materials or techniques you're less familiar with so that you can learn the terms and language so that you can ask better questions to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeknight View Post
Or you know.. get some albums and sample them..
Yes, but I believe the OP is looking for audio which he can actually use in his own work. All you can do with a sampled album is listen to a very small part of the album. Personally, I've always preferred listening to the whole album. I don't think you really get much out of it if you just listen to it a bar at a time, like you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Point taken, but as you probably have seen yourself, you tend to get a lot of junk that way. So, if there are fellow producers, perhaps that might be a way to hasten finding good ones. Feel free to ignore my post, though.
So much this.

Lakenkight, what's the point of having friends if you can't ask them for advice about things? It's summer here and I've got time off at the moment, so I'm getting into photography again. The afternoon I just spent wandering around the neighbourhood with my friend - who is an AV tech and has worked in lighting, film and live entertainment - was far more valuable than the last week I've spent googling and looking at youtube.
Thanks to Jaded
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

The kontakt libraries ain't bad for this

also for reggae ish sounds, you don't have to be good at playing guitar to make some skanks. Just grab the chord, and press down and up on it as you play so you mute it just after the stroke. record a bunch of them for different chords and pick and choose, do some upstrokes as well, the copy, paste cut and chop together a funky thing.

Also for that reggae ish classic guitar layer over bassline guitar muted thing, put a sock under the strings as far down as you can. retune after. Instant muting and you just need to play the strings with a finger on the fret board. Sample it and use it. Good for those of us that have other things to do then learn palm muting and playing the guitar cleanly.

as for finding loops I have nothing to add to what has been said. Speeding up the process? Learn to search other then that it is about being tenacious, searching until you find the right one. Blogs and shit, reviews of sample packs etc can be a good source for finding clues to what you want to search more for.

Last edited by Crude_beats; 09-12-2015 at 05:18 PM..
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Crude_beats
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Some offer free sets and kits, but the usual is the paid packs are of a far better quality. Still, there's nothing wrong with most of the free ones I've ever encountered..apart from the real pain in the arse of some not looping properly..meaning you have to edit them and add your own fades. Still I guess free is free and we shouldn't complain.
Great advice. Free is good. But you always get what you pay for. And to be honest, most sample libraries are so cheap now and you usually have a heap of formats, options and features available.

The Bala Indian pack I mentioned in my first post is a good example. It came with a fully catalogued set of samples including one shots and loops. All were properly sliced and looped and contained full metadata for audio software to interpret. Additionally all of the one shot collections had Kontakt banks and the melodic one shots had full multis. Percussive one shots were also presented as Battery banks. And that's just Native Instruments formats. Then there were Ableton Live formats. All files were properly warped. There was a Live Pack which contained Drum Racks and Simpler banks.

All in all, a ton of samples and methods for using them and it only cost $30.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
Also for that reggae ish classic guitar layer over bassline guitar muted thing, put a sock under the strings as far down as you can. retune after. Instant muting and you just need to play the strings with a finger on the fret board. Sample it and use it,
FM8 > AutoFilter (BPF) > Guitar Rig (Bass AMP Stack) > Audio Damage DubStation = Instant Dub guitar.
Thanks to Jaded
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
FM8 > AutoFilter (BPF) > Guitar Rig (Bass AMP Stack) > Audio Damage DubStation = Instant Dub guitar.
Don't think we mean the same sound, but this looks interesting. Will try this effect chain. Maybe time for that reggaeton, reggae, dance thing track I had in mind for some time.

Any particular FM8 preset or starting point?
Thanks to Crude_beats
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #12
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Yeah, your reggae guitar would turn into my dub guitar as you got more and more baked.

I'm devastated because I don't have the track that I actually used that technique in online at the moment, otherwise, I'd share it. Can't be fucked trying to find it though
Thanks to Jaded
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Also, if you want to go super cliche Apple's World Music Jam Pack was a great go to back in the day. Now I'm showing my age.

To give you an idea, all of the hand percussion, instrumentation and vocals were taken from Apple's jam packs and fucked with when I wrote this. Ironically, ten years later the samples have been done to death. However, that pack literally has some content from a good selection of traditional musics...

Sounds better through Funktion One's out in the bush at 5am but...

[edit] Listenting to this through my laptop speakers at the minimum volume is making miss my old loft studio with it's non-symmetry
Old 09-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
Crude_beats
Banned

AS for reggae ish bass like thievery have. Any kind of decent sounding e-bass samples or similar (I like the kontakt one that comes with the basic presets), low passed, into a dist, boost the lows according to notes playing to get proper emphasis.

If you want some mids/highs left for more presence make that a new layer.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #15
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Also, if you want to go super cliche Apple's World Music Jam Pack was a great go to back in the day. Now I'm showing my age.

To give you an idea, all of the hand percussion, instrumentation and vocals were taken from Apple's jam packs and fucked with when I wrote this. Ironically, ten years later the samples have been done to death. However, that pack literally has some content from a good selection of traditional musics...

Sounds better through Funktion One's out in the bush at 5am but...

[edit] Listenting to this through my laptop speakers at the minimum volume is making miss my old loft studio with it's non-symmetry
haha the amount of times I had this blasting in my speakers going into Smite Arena. Good times
Old 09-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Thanks so much guys! Exactly what I was looking for. I think that cliche samples are the way to go for war I have in mind. I want something instantly recognizable and use it sparingly, simply to impart a vibe.

I very much like commercial sample packs and pointing me to specific ones is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much, y'all!

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
Jaded (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, your reggae guitar would turn into my dub guitar as you got more and more baked.

I'm devastated because I don't have the track that I actually used that technique in online at the moment, otherwise, I'd share it. Can't be fucked trying to find it though
that is alright. if you ever find it when looking for something totally different.

try send a link in pm I'm glad to hear it.

I love this dub guitar thing here. I realize I can never quite get it myself cause it actually means you need to play the guitar. Good dub song anyway.

Its called King TUbby and Scientist - Columbu Dub (zola zola) a download link I found here, not taking responsibility for any potential threats in this link [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 09-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Since Jaded already mentioned loopmasters, which for me as the best price:quality ratio, I'll just say that the reggae vibe is as much about the arrangement of the instruments correct and using typical chord progressions as anything.

The basic guitar and bass instruments that come with Kontakt work well enough for most ITB reggae and dub. Though I do prefer the Scarbee guitar/bass in Kontakt over the basic "band" instruments.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #19
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
, I'll just say that the reggae vibe is as much about the arrangement of the instruments correct and using typical chord progressions as anything.

Not that important in a mix style project though.

I don't even know how people's view of reggae is. Mine is Jamaican productions from 67-75 or whatever new that is similar. EQin properly into tape simulation is essential to get a more raw old schoolish sound. For dub you want more clean mixes. But even so making a filthy layer of organ piano and guitar in that arrangement can make the thoughts travel to older records. If you wanna make this Bruno Mars stuff reggae then just play a chord on the back beat and mix as any pop song with clean sounds. Thievery mixes their stuff more closely to dub and modern down tempo music.
Thanks to Crude_beats
liquid_air (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #20
lakeknight
Granular Poster

Quote:
Advising someone to ask a machine for advice over a human is the dumbest advice ever because machines are dumb.
Come on, using search engines to search (read: using available resources effectively to achieve a goal) is not the same as asking machines for advice.

Quote:
And I've never found Google to be a good source for locating audio which I can license for use in my own work. There are some free services like the aptly named freesound.org. But for one, you have to sort through a lot of chaff to get the wheat. And secondly, I find I am constantly frustrated because I always end up finding a lot of samples which have great content, but terrible production values.
OP is looking for cliche world music samples. He didn't specify anything about quality/legality etc so I assume anything goes.. Googling is a very broad term also, it means looking at the probably hundreds of similar questions on forums and boards. I've found it to be a very good source for locating audio.

Quote:
In my professional experience, I've usually had three choices. Make something, ask someone else to make something or buy something. Maybe incorporate google if you're working with materials or techniques you're less familiar with so that you can learn the terms and language so that you can ask better questions to people.
In your professional career have you asked around forums for bongo samples? You probably just google some sample packs, check if they're any good, buy em and get on with it. Non-commercial use of audio on the other hand is just a free for all, use what you want, so yea, there's endless amounts of content to be found just by googling.

Quote:
Yes, but I believe the OP is looking for audio which he can actually use in his own work. All you can do with a sampled album is listen to a very small part of the album. Personally, I've always preferred listening to the whole album. I don't think you really get much out of it if you just listen to it a bar at a time, like you suggest.
I have no idea what you are talking about or what you think I suggested.

Quote:
Lakenkight, what's the point of having friends if you can't ask them for advice about things?
Jadrd, asking for advice is fine! Relax, OP asked where he could find some world music samples, I suggested googling the hell out of it or sampling

Advertisements

Thanks to lakeknight
Evelon (09-12-2015)