Great article on EQ
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310
Great article on EQ

I just stumbled across this really cool article which goes over a lot of different types of sounds and what the best way to approach EQ would be.
I hope everyone can benefit from this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
Re: Great article on EQ

The synth EQ section of course was extremely weak and didnt even mention EQing below 200 Hz for example which seems kind of silly to me. Some synth bass benefits from low shelving slanted boosts with emphasis on the bass. But on the other hand some of the other sections were useful such as the part about snares. I still think it's better to use your ears, but it is nice to have some minor kind of guide. Thanks

Last edited by Nystagmus; 03-12-2015 at 04:13 AM..

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Sacarious (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 AM   #3
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310

Ya I noticed that too, but still I think people could benefit from having an idea of where things should go to acoustically to have a natural sound. At the same time though I record a lot of guitar and bass too so I might be getting a bit more out of it than some, but sampling and resampling need some love too lol.

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sacarious
Nystagmus (03-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1260

I could be wrong, but I always feel like these sorts of articles are based around acoustic instruments. By that I mean drums, guitar bass etc. I feel like in making electronic music there really arent any rules. While mixing a metal song for instance, if you eq the drums or guitar wrong you'll ruin the natural sound of the instrument.

Whereas with electronic stuff, I feel like nothing it supposed to sound like anything, so you can mix every sound to your taste, even if that's an crude low pass filter over all the drums or something.

I dont know, I feel like there are some "mixing" guides that are really only refering to the more traditional practise of mixing drums,guitar,bass,vocals.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204110
Thanked 4,082 Times in 3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post
I could be wrong, but I always feel like these sorts of articles are based around acoustic instruments. By that I mean drums, guitar bass etc. I feel like in making electronic music there really arent any rules. While mixing a metal song for instance, if you eq the drums or guitar wrong you'll ruin the natural sound of the instrument.

Whereas with electronic stuff, I feel like nothing it supposed to sound like anything, so you can mix every sound to your taste, even if that's an crude low pass filter over all the drums or something.

I dont know, I feel like there are some "mixing" guides that are really only refering to the more traditional practise of mixing drums,guitar,bass,vocals.

Yeah, I agree with you on this. Obviously, these kind of guides are great as a learning tool..provided they are good guides to begin with. But when it comes to actually producing my own stuff, I'm with Nystagmus in that I always use my ears..after all, I know the sound I'm going for on any given track..and that's may not fall on the EQ scale where such guides say it should.

In short, these kind of guides are good tool to fall back on in certain situations, but for most mixing cases, I just use my ears to find the right setting for what I'm doing.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Sacarious (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 961 Posts

I find such simple guides helpful as pointers where to look/start. One book in particular was full of this: Jason Timothy - Music Habits 101 Music production tips

It's just a very tiny primer, but almost all of them highly useful.

Not that one should slavishly follow them, but it's good to know where to look for "mud" etc

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (05-12-2015)
Old 21-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #7
ALR7
Granular Poster
ALR7 is currently spamming hard
Panamá
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah, I agree with you on this. Obviously, these kind of guides are great as a learning tool..provided they are good guides to begin with. But when it comes to actually producing my own stuff, I'm with Nystagmus in that I always use my ears..after all, I know the sound I'm going for on any given track..and that's may not fall on the EQ scale where such guides say it should.

In short, these kind of guides are good tool to fall back on in certain situations, but for most mixing cases, I just use my ears to find the right setting for what I'm doing.

yeah, definitely agree with you.
Guides are sometimes helpful at the very beggining but it is very difficult to achieve the results you want without using your ears and developing them in the process.

I would love sometimes, in some songs I make, that a mixing plugin would exist but then I remember that mixing its as important as the composition itself most of the time.

Maybe a mixing plugin would be neat for making drafts and rough takes of rock songs that you would like to record in the future professionaly in a studio, who knows
ALR7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post

I totally agree

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote