Evelon, was just scrolling through your SC.. Can you explain this?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 AM   #1
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 860
Evelon, was just scrolling through your SC.. Can you explain this?

I have wondered for some time how Soundcloud generates its waveforms. I even emailed a Soundcloud representative and asked what the height (amplitude) of the waveform depends on.

They said its corresponds to the loudness of the track, which I found is true but not the whole full answer.

Then, I happend to stumble across this.

I noticed the title includes "phasing and binaural beats". I would appreciate an explanation about your study here, the results, and also how this would manifest itself in a typical house track (with sidechain, several different layers, kick drum and sub making a full sound). I know it depends on a lot more factors, but just generalize to the maximum amount just to make a point. For instance, how come some house tracks, which have a decent amount of dynamic range, are able to get a straight outline on the waveform?

Thanks again,

Sam

Advertisements

samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 AM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Evelon, was just scrolling through your SC.. Can you explain this?

I still don't understand SC's waveform display. It would be much easier if they used regular fucking plain and simple waveform, like we are all used to. That way people could go "oh, shit that's loud/squashed" or "hmm, this looks interestingly dynamic".

If you have a mono source and flip phase on any side (L or R) of a stereo file you get zero waveform, because the sides would cancel each other out. The waveform is a single one, representing the stereo sum (like a mono file for us DAW people).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:24 AM   #3
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 860

Yeah agreed, I hope they change it, there is something unsettling about their current waveform generator.

If you ever find the answer, please do share :victory:

If anyone else has an input, feel free to share.
samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:48 AM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

its sound clouds own compression mechanic, it uses the same algorithm as youtubes based on the h.265 codec.Which is for video mainly, and so it reads it based of the audio information only but thinks theirs a image there as well so it fucks up the waveform image. Basically Soundclouds reads things as video files so it can try and estimate a waveform reading and fucks it up 95 percent of the time.

Last edited by joem; 02-12-2015 at 01:31 PM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
Nystagmus (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 04:56 AM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

I actually wish there was just a timeline and no waveform whatsoever.

Music is much less interesting when it's predictable by glancing at the future changes.
And SoundCloud uploads would go much faster if it didn't have to create a waveform.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:58 AM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk44 View Post
Then, I happend to stumble across this.

I noticed the title includes "phasing and binaural beats". I would appreciate an explanation about your study here, the results, and also how this would manifest itself in a typical house track (with sidechain, several different layers, kick drum and sub making a full sound). I know it depends on a lot more factors, but just generalize to the maximum amount just to make a point. For instance, how come some house tracks, which have a decent amount of dynamic range, are able to get a straight outline on the waveform?

Thanks again,

Sam
You need to use SOUNDCLOUD instead of SOUNDCLOUDPLAYER to get the tune to show up in most browsers.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote