Bass + Filter Sweeps (Tipper Production Techniques)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
rstark
Minor Glitch
rstark has a spectacular aura aboutrstark has a spectacular aura about
Lawrence, KS
MC Status: 160
Icon5 Bass + Filter Sweeps (Tipper Production Techniques)

As you may already know Tipper is a major boss in the game when it comes to bass music production. According to wikipedia he's worked on test sounds for Bose. And now there's a whole wave of up and coming downtempo producers influenced by him (Kaminanda and Desert Dwellers are the first that come to mind but there's tons more out there)

My question is, does anyone have any insight onto how he's making some of those filthy bass sweeps? Do you know what programs he's using? Pretty sure he's not using plain old ableton auto-filter to get those sounds. Anyone know any boss sampler or filter VSTs that are intuitive for these kinds of sounds? I've checked out Alchemy and I'm looking for something along those lines, where you can plug in samples and modulate them. But maybe less complex than Alchemy?

Or if you know any other source online that covers this sort of thing, link me up Scotty.

Advertisements

rstark is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Bass + Filter Sweeps (Tipper Production Techniques)

You mean like those reoccurring dual bandpass sweeps (and notch sweeps)?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

eq automation
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

I think yeah, EQ automations and formant filters.
But also I'm pretty sure he uses some kind of granular synthesis techniques.
But he also is known to do some controllerism scratch sounds too.

Part of his success is also he knows how to combine different sounds together as if they were one instrument.
There have been a few interview with him where I think they mention his gear. I'd look there.
I think I vaguely remember that he uses a Mac but I don't know for sure.

My other intuition is that he does a lot of resampling.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

The granular stuff that Tipper does is manual or whatever,he's taking a sound and cutting it up into tiny samples worth of audio and manipulating the formants that way.the way i hear it is,he's using effects that manipulate formants and phase (e.g a decimator,flanger,filters) then making the sweeps etc from chaining different lengths of "grains" together.i think this is what he means when he says he does alot of "micro-edits" and there's a certain fluidity to his movements that i don't believe a granular synth/sampler (atleast most of the ones i have tried and are familiar with...maybe Absynth)give you that level of control.it doesn't seem completely unfounded considering the ridiculous comlexity of his arrangements,which appear to be deceptively simple.

:Edited for tiredness

Last edited by TIMT; 25-09-2015 at 06:13 AM..
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
fck75
Granular Poster
fck75 has a spectacular aura aboutfck75 has a spectacular aura aboutfck75 has a spectacular aura about
Paris
MC Status: 210

Do you have any example of Tiper's bass sounds ?

------------------
David

fck75 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
Icon5 Re: Bass + Filter Sweeps (Tipper Production Techniques)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMT View Post
The granular stuff that Tipper does is manual or whatever,he's taking a sound and cutting it up into tiny samples worth of audio and manipulating the formants that way.the way i hear it is,he's using effects that manipulate formants and phase (e.g a decimator,flanger,filters) then making the sweeps etc from chaining different lengths of "grains" together.i think this is what he means when he says he does alot of "micro-edits" and there's a certain fluidity to his movements that i don't believe a granular synth/sampler (atleast most of the ones i have tried and are familiar with...maybe Absynth)give you that level of control.it doesn't seem completely unfounded considering the ridiculous comlexity of his arrangements,which appear to be deceptively simple.
Could re-explain this again using different words? I'm trying to wrap my head around this and I can't quite get it. Thanks

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote