Simple Mastering for SoundCloud upload
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Closed Thread
Old 26-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Xinus
Analog Lurker
Xinus has a spectacular aura aboutXinus has a spectacular aura aboutXinus has a spectacular aura about
Copenhagen
MC Status: 210
Simple Mastering for SoundCloud upload

Hi
I have rendered my track from Ableton Live and want to upload the track to SoundCloud.
I'm a bit confused about the application of compression since I don't have much experience with Mastering.
I'll be using Fabfilter Pro-C/Pro-C2 or the free Melda Productions MCompressor and MLimiter.
Music style is Downtempo Electronica
I use to do a somewhat gentle compression to increase loudness and also limit the peaks.
Should I apply limiting first to cut those peaks?
What would you recommend that I do?

I want to post a picture of the waveform but Dropbox is not working now and I can't seem to attach pictures with google drive

Last edited by Xinus; 26-08-2015 at 10:20 PM..

Advertisements

Xinus is offline   Thanks
Old 26-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: Simple Mastering for SoundCloud upload

I would go back to the mix and use a soft clipper on any errant peaks. Then compress in stages on the master.

Compressor; EQ; Compressor; Limiter is my usual "amateur mastering" chain. I try to only shave off a couple dB with each compressor and I dont let the limiter do more than three dB of gain reduction. I usually also try using some kond of saturation before the first compressor.
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 26-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Grimbit
IDMf Supporter
Grimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond repute
Scotland
MC Status: 7760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinus View Post
Hi
I have rendered my track from Ableton Live and want to upload the track to SoundCloud.
I'm a bit confused about the application of compression since I don't have much experience with Mastering.
I'll be using Fabfilter Pro-C/Pro-C2 or the free Melda Productions MCompressor and MLimiter.
Music style is Downtempo Electronica
I use to do a somewhat gentle compression to increase loudness and also limit the peaks.
Should I apply limiting first to cut those peaks?
What would you recommend that I do?

I want to post a picture of the waveform but Dropbox is not working now and I can't seem to attach pictures with google drive

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is pretty useful for this kinda thing, upload a picture in seconds.

------------------
HAPPY HARDCORE AIN'T DAD!
Grimbit is offline   Thanks
Old 26-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Xinus
Analog Lurker
Xinus has a spectacular aura aboutXinus has a spectacular aura aboutXinus has a spectacular aura about
Copenhagen

Alright thanks, great. And could that soft clipper be Abletons Limiter or one of the above mentioned plugins?
Old 26-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
Xinus
Analog Lurker
Copenhagen

Great thanks Grimbit!
Old 26-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526870

Can use abletons saturation device as a soft clipper. just set all setting to default or off, then just toggle on the soft clip button (right top) and then adjust the drive nob (left top) to what sounds good, then back off a little bit to cut out any unheard distortion that a later mixdown could pull up.
agent is offline   Thanks
Old 27-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #7
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

Don't use a clipper; you'll add distortion. Use a lookahead limiter on the master.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks
Old 27-08-2015, 02:44 AM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Aren't you mixing too hot if you master is plunging into the red? Everything I've known is a lie.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
jVs (27-08-2015)
Old 27-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Xinus
Analog Lurker
Copenhagen

Thanks for your replies.
I'm not sure about the saturator on the master bus in Ableton Live.
At this time I'm not capable of perceiving any added warmth before it distorts.

If I add Live's limiter to bring the peaks down will a look ahead time of 3 ms do?
How low can I safely set the ceiling parameter?
Would FF Pro-C be any better for this purpose?

And do you put a lowpass filter/EQ on the Master bus to roll of the low end or would you do that in mastering stage?
I've got some pretty deep bass and kicks.

Last edited by Xinus; 27-08-2015 at 03:12 PM..
Old 31-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Xinus
Analog Lurker
Copenhagen

Well I tried those things. Ableton's limiter successfully cuts the peaks at e.g. -3 db.
I tried using Melda Productions MLimiter and was able to lower the threshold much more with less distortion/destruction of the signal than with Live's Limiter.
I'll have to experiment much more with all of this.
Old 31-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

iZotope has some really useful (and free!) resources on this topic, would definitely recommend you read over them.

Mastering for different formats: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Free guides on mixing and mastering: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Andantonius is offline   Thanks
Old 31-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283284
Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,760 Posts

mate dont try and replicate somebodies rough effects chain and devices they use just do some reading and learn what exactly a compressor is, what a limiter is, why they are used and what to listen for, what to be careful of etc. Until you know at least kinda what you're actually doing to the sound when you apply limiters and compressors youre just guessing. Other peoples effects chains work for them but they also know what they're listening for when they apply them because they have a level of understanding of what they're doing. Learn motherfucker!

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
Old 31-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Xinus
Analog Lurker
Copenhagen

That's what I'm doing "Bastard"!

I think it's not only reading but also learning by doing. And it's well-known that there are differences between the many different compressors, limiters and EQs etc.

Andantonius - Thanks, I'll do that.

Last edited by Xinus; 31-08-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Old 31-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
Benwaa

simple mastering for soundcloud preview only? just slap live' limiter on the master channel and do what funkmastershit said. fuck all the other over complicating shit, just use the limiter and learn it.

my suggestion is you set it so the peak output is -0.3 and you're not having much more gain reduction than 1-2dB tops, after all you're only trying to bring up the levels for SC and no other purpose right?
  Thanks
Old 31-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
Xinus
Analog Lurker
Copenhagen

Well that was my initial purpose but of course I need to learn this stuff and get my tracks to sound as good as I possibly can.
Old 31-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #16
Benwaa

then learn to mixdown properly. then send it to an ME who has better ears and gear than you, and more competence than you'll ever have trying to master your own tunes regardless of how skilled you get
  Thanks
Old 31-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
Xinus
Analog Lurker
Copenhagen

I'm aware that it's best to let someone else whos skilled do the mastering.
But there's no reason I could not learn to do this myself until any possible album release.
Old 31-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #18
Benwaa

well you obviously know best.

/thread

Advertisements

Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
Kvlt O))) (31-08-2015)
Closed Thread