Well... this is gross (LANDR promises drag 'n' drop instant online mastering) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #21
Roland_Abuser
Radial Developer
Roland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to behold
Good `Ol Yorkshire
MC Status: 760
Re: Well... this is gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
The concept of a specialized audio engineer AI is actually mad interesting and I'm glad it exists, the sad part as always is the commercial product they make of it.

Good point, it's probably not that bad that it exists at all tech wise. Just, as you say, what it is being used for. Was kinda the product rather than the tech i was referring to in the first place but i don't word things too well when im pissed!

Advertisements

Roland_Abuser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
VoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really nice
Hamburg
MC Status: 360

What I uploaded got louder for sure. Better... don't know. It did introduce some clipping but that may be because of a lack of headroom in the file I uploaded - their software should be able to compensate for that I think.
VoidPointer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #23
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidPointer View Post
What I uploaded got louder for sure. Better... don't know. It did introduce some clipping but that may be because of a lack of headroom in the file I uploaded - their software should be able to compensate for that I think.
It seems to have options (a low, medium and high setting) for 'loudness' (probably just a stupid maximizing limiter adjustment, easier to do on your own IMHO).

Has anybody gotten it to spit out their 192k as planned? Mine just freezes there. It's worse than my own mastering, so either I'm a fucking genius (I'm not) or it sucks major ass.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Jaded (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #24
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421878329
Thanked 5,007 Times in 2,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidPointer View Post
What I uploaded got louder for sure.
Which is probably the only thing people who would do this are looking for.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #25
Spyderbyte
Ghostly
Spyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

7 dimensions? I guess my problem is I haven't been mixing in a hypercube.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
There is a time when the world of music opens itself up to you and you dive right into great unknowns, incredible techniques and emotionally captivating electronic music. And after that, there is stuff like Pop EDM.
Spyderbyte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #26
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderbyte View Post
7 dimensions? I guess my problem is I haven't been mixing in a hypercube.
Pffff...my DAW hybercubes in 9.45768 dimensions. The .45768 makes it moar loudness

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Yeah, this looks pretty shit. But I'm kind of with relic on the tech side. Can a computer program produce a decent master? I doubt it. But there are certainly some tasks it could do well. It would be cool to see "mastering" programs for handling lossy compression. Not something that handles the broader mastering chain, but something that does post-master processing to optimise for lossy reproduction... because there are definitely engineers that can get more out of mp3s than others...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #28
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18032619

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

just watch this, save yourself all of the trouble.

subscribed!

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #29
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG88 View Post
Drag and drop online mastering service like lulz

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
i read about this and although i doubt it is worth it i was very curious about how it sounds and how the algorithm works. not curious enough to try it yet though

------------------
signature loading...
Old 10-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #30
Capo di Ritmo
Minor Glitch
Capo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of light
Westland
MC Status: 510

If you want you can check out an interview at musicradar.com with the Head of Communications and Artist Relations at LANDR's development company MixGenius. He explains how it works and what they want to achieve with this service. In my opinion it is good for some mastering from live sets and stuff like that.

Can't post links yet, but it is on the homepage.
Capo di Ritmo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #31
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo di Ritmo View Post
If you want you can check out an interview at musicradar.com with the Head of Communications and Artist Relations at LANDR's development company MixGenius. He explains how it works and what they want to achieve with this service. In my opinion it is good for some mastering from live sets and stuff like that.

Can't post links yet, but it is on the homepage.
im curious. im heading over there now

------------------
signature loading...
Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #32
Parricide
sloppy cunt

just read through the interview and ive decided to try it.
ive been slating it since i read about it but yet i still havent tried it.
i REALLY hope its utter crap, for the sake of all the hard working mastering engineers who have devoted years to perfecting their craft.
im going to run some tests through it too to see what comes out, for example, noise, or a square wave.

i still dont see it comparing to a good ME, and there are still obvious benefits to an ME, such as communication, the unique opinion/view/ears/preferences/e.t.c. of the ME, e.t.c. but at the same time, everything is maths, so i shouldnt put it down until ive tried it.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 11-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #33
Parricide
sloppy cunt

my results are in...

...i didnt really like it. it sounded distorted and there were tones in the track that i would have liked preserved as much as possible that were destroyed.
it sounded like they focused on driving the perceived volume, perhaps to gain interest from the majority?
for my comparison i put the original against the mastered version in cubase, then i matched the perceived volume so that they sounded about the same, then i just A/B'ed them.

my track demanded that the low end was kept undistorted, with no extra overtones, since there were certain points where this was the pure focus of the track. without these sections sounding clean and subtle the rest of the mix didnt sound as much of a contrast as it was supposed to.

these are things that i could have voiced to a human ME, which he/she could have fixed at the cost of less perceived volume in the low end at those particular times (which would have been fine with me).
there was an option to adjust the intensity of the master, which they describe as your view on the loudness war, which i can only assume means more or less limiting with more or less EQing in the areas where the human ear is sensitive.
i kept it on the medium setting out of a three scale choice, and perhaps my master would have sounded better on the lower setting, but for a medium setting i think it did a lot of damage.

i will try the lower setting on the same track and see how it turns out, as well as some other tests to see what happens.

:TLDR

go to a proper ME for now.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 12-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #34
DJ Planetside
Knob Twiddler
DJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant future
Las Vegas
MC Status: 1960

Tried it.......not sure what to think about it. Buuuuuut if this was a stand alone plug in it'd be great for finding mix mistakes.

------------------
Holy crap, I can haz a signature now?

DJ Planetside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #35
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

Hahaha. It finally spit out an mp3 of mine. It's just downward compressed into the ground with a brickwall limiter on top.

Never use this thing
Old 13-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #36
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Hahaha. It finally spit out an mp3 of mine. It's just downward compressed into the ground with a brickwall limiter on top.

Never use this thing
agreed. im going to run a square wave through it and see what comes out

------------------
signature loading...
Old 13-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #37
DJ Planetside
Knob Twiddler
DJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant future
Las Vegas
MC Status: 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post

Never use this thing
Did you drop it a WAV file at -6 or whatever DB's it asking for?

Edit: I just got done testing mine, as a side by side comparison. Just wanna be clear here. I think I suck at mastering. And my master compared to theirs, theirs was brickwalled to shit in comparison to mine.

Last edited by DJ Planetside; 13-07-2014 at 07:43 PM..

------------------
Holy crap, I can haz a signature now?

DJ Planetside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #38
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

^ Way below -6, probably more like -24. I mix incredibly low and all they seem to ask for is 'plenty of headroom'. And it crapped out everytime I spent 45 minutes uploading the wav, so it was a 320 out of necessity.

What made me laugh is if you pay for premium / pro, you get more options with the limiter. As if everybody making music doesn't have access to a limiter. Best thing I've read all day.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #39
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
agreed. im going to run a square wave through it and see what comes out
i forgot to come back here about this.

i tried running a square wave through it and it didnt like my file! i think theyre on to me if i remember correctly it advised me not to put any limiters e.t.c. on the master track before uploading :problemofficer:

------------------
signature loading...
Old 14-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #40
quantumcode
Minor Glitch
quantumcode has a spectacular aura aboutquantumcode has a spectacular aura about
Calgary
MC Status: 160

If it's all auto, isn't that like putting soundgoodizer in all the mixer busses in flstudio?
Or using presets in other vsts

Advertisements

------------------
quantumcode is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote