the VST Master Thread - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 30-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #21
tomica
tomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MCtomica is a savage MC
MC Status: 19691
Re: Best Distortion VST?

Rob Papen's distortion as very good. D16 Group and Voxengo have some very good distortions, too.

Advertisements

------------------
Bedroom Producers Blog - Free samples & VST Plugins!

// Free VST Plugins!
// Free Drum Samples!
tomica is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
gibson_ewok
Granular Poster
gibson_ewok is a jewel in the roughgibson_ewok is a jewel in the roughgibson_ewok is a jewel in the roughgibson_ewok is a jewel in the rough
Sydney
MC Status: 324

Bi-filter, by Tone 2, I know it's not really a distortion based plug-in, however it has some distortion types on it, and they sound really good on some things, and sound like absolute garbage on other.

I find generally when distorting things the less harmonics the better, like taking a sine-wave and bit crushing it (yes I know bit crushers aren't really a distortion, but in the definition of the word, changing the volume of a clip is distorting it, seems it just means basically to change something from its original state). However, with Bi-filter I find the more harmonics in the original content the better.

------------------
gibson_ewok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
Convergence
Soundscaper
Convergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MC
MC Status: 1860836

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_ewok View Post
Bi-filter, by Tone 2, I know it's not really a distortion based plug-in, however it has some distortion types on it, and they sound really good on some things, and sound like absolute garbage on other.

I find generally when distorting things the less harmonics the better, like taking a sine-wave and bit crushing it (yes I know bit crushers aren't really a distortion, but in the definition of the word, changing the volume of a clip is distorting it, seems it just means basically to change something from its original state). However, with Bi-filter I find the more harmonics in the original content the better.
Theres actually more to it than this. Different types of distortion modelling will produce different levels of odd and even harmonics which have a profound effect on the character of the sound. Additionally there is inter-modulation distortion which is generally undesirable as it isn't 'pleasing' to the ear. The latter distortion often results from processing a source that is polyphonic or covers a large harmonic range, which is why multi-band distortion or using phase cancelling techniques can be useful in order to achieve the desired tone. This is perhaps why you liked tone2 (which is a great filter btw) because you are combining their distortion algorithms with a specific filtered frequency range and there-by getting a better tone. However, there is only 1/2 knobs to control with bifilter and this gives you less control than say something like fabfilter saturn, 112db redline pre-amp, SPL Twin Tube, or Soundtoys Decapitator. (all of which are pretty nice, with the 112b offering perhaps the best value to sound quality ratio.
Convergence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #24
ignatius
Soundscaper
ignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MC
the northwest
MC Status: 13983882

i like soundtoys decapitator for the subtle stuff. when you need to just add some junk to something w/o destroying it (though it does destroy things well)

also for more of a saturation effect the kammerl audio saturation plug in is dead simple and just sounds fucking amazing in so many situations

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

i love ohmicide and also fabfilter's saturn

there are a lot of good ones out there and i think some do certain things better than others.. they all have their places where they shine.

oh and another +1 for the rob papen Distort.. that thing is surprisingly versatile and fat sounding.. his GUIs always take me a while to cosy up to though.

------------------
ignatius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #25
Convergence
Soundscaper
Convergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MC
MC Status: 1860836

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
i like soundtoys decapitator for the subtle stuff. when you need to just add some junk to something w/o destroying it (though it does destroy things well)

also for more of a saturation effect the kammerl audio saturation plug in is dead simple and just sounds fucking amazing in so many situations

i love ohmicide and also fabfilter's saturn

there are a lot of good ones out there and i think some do certain things better than others.. they all have their places where they shine.

oh and another +1 for the rob papen Distort.. that thing is surprisingly versatile and fat sounding.. his GUIs always take me a while to cosy up to though.

Hmm the subtle part is simply how much input drive you dial in and how much wet/dry you choose to mix in.... Also the tone knob (dark/bright) can influence the degree of 'subtlety' that you are after. It does have a very unsubtle 'PUNISH' button after all! I've heard Voxengo's Varisaturator is good for polite saturation if thats what you were getting at, but I believe you can get plenty of filth off Decapitator, you just cant have it as your only FX unit in the chain if you want that dirty modulated bass sound.

Let me put it this way, its easier to make Decapitator sound dirty than it is to make Ohmicide sound subtle.
Convergence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #26
ignatius
Soundscaper
ignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MC
the northwest
MC Status: 13983882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
Hmm the subtle part is simply how much input drive you dial in and how much wet/dry you choose to mix in.... Also the tone knob (dark/bright) can influence the degree of 'subtlety' that you are after. It does have a very unsubtle 'PUNISH' button after all! I've heard Voxengo's Varisaturator is good for polite saturation if thats what you were getting at, but I believe you can get plenty of filth off Decapitator, you just cant have it as your only FX unit in the chain if you want that dirty modulated bass sound.

Let me put it this way, its easier to make Decapitator sound dirty than it is to make Ohmicide sound subtle.
totally.. not disagreeing at all.. just saying.. they all sound different and some of them do certain things really well. it's easier to get some places with some of them than it is with others

and i'm just stating my preferences for how i use them. like ingredients for a recipe.. a dash of this or that and when i really want to bring out the flavor of the hash i add a lot of this.. etc etc...

------------------
ignatius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
Xlorite
Minor Glitch
Xlorite will become famous soon enoughXlorite will become famous soon enough
Newcastle
MC Status: 110

Sonitex STX-1260 has some nice distortion effects that you can connetct with interesting resample engine and few other effects
Xlorite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #28
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939
Re: Any good compressor/EQ Vsts?

Fabfilter makes very high quality EQ/Compressors. Watch their vids and you'll know why ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
).

Pro-Q is the EQ, Pro-C is the compressor.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
Bairkan
Banned
Bairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improve
molest me, senpai
MC Status: -2147475747

DMG Audio.

Equality is great. Their compressor thing is great.

My absolute go to plugins.
Bairkan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #30
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

Free or pay for?

My go to compressor/eq plugin is [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Excellent plugin. And Cytomic's [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is perhaps my second most used. The Glue is part of my new song template on my snare/clap channels for just that snap and punch you're after.

------------------
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #31
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408849
Thanked 5,497 Times in 3,572 Posts

If I want multiple FX in one box, Guitar Rig (any version but obviously latest is best) is great. However, for actual straight-forward big meaty guitar distortion I much prefer Overloud TH2 and use this a lot more on my guitar than Guitar Rig since I feel that overall TH2 has a warmer sound.

TH2 suffers because it doesn't have the sheer number of different FX of Guitar Rig but it still has a lot to play with. Most of the presets can be quickly tweaked to whatever I want without having to build from scratch. The 'Guitar Hero' preset should be on everyone's list of things to play with before they die

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #32
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Apulsoft ApQualizr
DMG Compassion

but also free...

rs-met EasyQ
Vladg Molot

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #33
zuzz
Minor Glitch
zuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MCzuzz is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 1288344

Izotope Trash
Audio Damage Kombinat

------------------
Download 1,000 free drum samples at DrumSamples.org
Download 1,000 free hip hop samples at HipHopSamples.org
zuzz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #34
seppuku
Regular Freak
seppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond reputeseppuku has a reputation beyond repute
Brisbane
MC Status: 2649

Fabfilter Saturn... absolute BEAST!
seppuku is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #35
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

hey dont forget Rectula and some of the other distortions that company makes.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
rocksure
Minor Glitch
rocksure has a spectacular aura aboutrocksure has a spectacular aura aboutrocksure has a spectacular aura about
Waikanae beach, New Zealand
MC Status: 210

The URS plugins are very good. I like their compressors as well as their Fultec EQ (Pultec emulation). Waves EQ's are good too, but Waves stuff is expensive.

------------------
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com
rocksure is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
Eric C.
Minor Glitch
Eric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MCEric C. is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 304439
Re: Best filter/distortion VSTs?

Volcano
Eric C. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #38
Reedswitch
Analog Lurker
Reedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MC
Fairfield, Iowa
MC Status: 562149
Re: Best filter/distortion VSTs?

Anyone tried Fabfilter Saturn yet?
Looks like an amazing multiband distortion
Reedswitch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #39
aallvor
Learning The Ropes
aallvor is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

D16 Devastor. Easy to use, warms up sterile sounds quite nicely.
aallvor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #40
djtuanguyen
Regular Freak
djtuanguyen will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I love the sound of Dada Life's Sausage Fattener and Camel Audio's CamelPhat. Both have a great gritty sound.

Advertisements

djtuanguyen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote