All my tracks are in A minor.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 18-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
SweHockey
Analog Lurker
SweHockey will become famous soon enoughSweHockey will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
All my tracks are in A minor.

I write all the chord progressions and melodies based on the A minor scale (/C major scale).

Will changing scale make a difference? It feels like it won't because all minor and major scales have the same intervals.

Advertisements

SweHockey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: All my tracks are in A minor.

I'm confused.
A) Of course changing key and scale (of a song) will make a difference. In many ways.
B) Transposing A minor to Bb minor won't sound that much different.

Why don't you just try it and see (hear) for yourself??

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269481558
Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,091 Posts

I'm trying hard not to make any paedo-related jokes.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
slugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond repute
Tampere
MC Status: 3560

Yeah, I've noticed that I do the same.... maybe because C major / A minor are the "easiest" keys.
But hey, why don't you just transpose your songs to some other key and hear the difference yourself?
I also have used lot of pentatonic scale in my songs.

I've been currently working with it, trying to expand my know-how in music theory.
My studies in music theory was over ten years ago, so because I'm a drummer(and I only read rhythmic notes), I've forgotten almost all of it...

Maybe that's why I've been focusing on rhythmic impression.
slugvision is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

It will definitely make a difference in terms of tonality. Trust me, listen to a piece in A minor, then listen to that same piece in F# minor. You can still tell it's the same piece, but it will have a different sound and feel to it. Because you've shifted the entire harmonic structure of that piece to a different register, and thus changed the tone and texture of it. I'm talking in circles, but basically, yes, it does make a difference. A-440 (A4) sounds different than A-220 (A3), does it not? Similar idea.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
DaveCNewton
Analog Lurker
DaveCNewton has a spectacular aura aboutDaveCNewton has a spectacular aura aboutDaveCNewton has a spectacular aura about
Manchester
MC Status: 210

I think that different keys will have a different emotional effect on the listener because of their musical tastes.

Take a metal riff and play it in drop D, then play it in Drop A (7-string) and you'll find it sounds much heavier, even though it's the same riff!

------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DaveCNewton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
FL
MC Status: 91357273

the minor scales have a subconscious effect of making you feel a little down or depressed. I saw a video where this dude played the moonlit sonata in the minor and major scale, and it sounded noticably more 'upbeat' when he played it in major..

However, this all gets switched around if you use distortion like in heavy metal songs.. then the minor scales mysteriously have the opposite effect

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Aktix
Granular Poster
Aktix will become famous soon enoughAktix will become famous soon enough
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post
the minor scales have a subconscious effect of making you feel a little down or depressed. I saw a video where this dude played the moonlit sonata in the minor and major scale, and it sounded noticably more 'upbeat' when he played it in major..

However, this all gets switched around if you use distortion like in heavy metal songs.. then the minor scales mysteriously have the opposite effect
One of my tutors did that once, was mad.

------------------

Aktix - Scruple (Tech House)

Aktix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866

WHY??

is it because it's easier for you to come up stuff on a piano/guitar that way?

just transpose everything in your project until it sounds like it's in the right key for it's theme.

it's tricky though because there is a certain point where youll transpose the bass too low for it to sound right either by eq or by the fact that instruments have a particular set dynamic/key range, or too high and the lead/piano etc is too abrasive/tinny etc.
and sometimes you have to transpose different parts of the project differently up/down.

you have to experiment with all this so you can have more diversity across your tracks, and it's usually when you do these experiments that something better occurs, and usually as a mistake too.
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
FL
MC Status: 91357273

this is like a writer wondering if he uses the letter 'T' too much..

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Sandorg
Minor Glitch
Sandorg will become famous soon enoughSandorg will become famous soon enough
Tallinn

I always have the same problem when I'm writing melodies on my midi keyboard. I don't actually play the piano so I tend to use positions I'm fluent in over and over again. I've "solved" the problem by not using a keyboard and writing my melodies manually, with a mouse (although this is a terrible solution, should learn to play the keys, really). If you're writing bass heavy music, the subbass should sound good in the key you've chosen, learned that tip from some hotshot producer's masterclass video.

------------------
Sandorg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Eyzuky
Soundwave Mangler
Eyzuky will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Dude another thing to think of that if u plan to create a release with few track in it it better change keys between tracks for refreshment of the ear.

------------------
Eyzuky is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Arlyd
Minor Glitch
Arlyd is a jewel in the roughArlyd is a jewel in the roughArlyd is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Although the distance between notes are the same there is a different... Atmosphere to a song in a different key...

Rock is arguably most commonly written in E Minor or A Minor because the most common tuning of a guitar means that both E and A are very easy to play and so, are ideal pedal-notes. A stupid amount of Iron Maiden songs are in these keys and I find it gets to the stage where one songs bleeds into the other after a while because there's no real variation.

I use C Major or Aminor more often than not as well when on a keyboard but it's not really surprising - if you're writing on a Piano or a Keyboard, it's easier to get quick results by hitting notes you know are safe (the white ones). Some of the other keys are harder to find and it can be quite demotivating trying to write something in a key with lots of accidentals when you have to blindly fumble through wrong notes to find the right ones.

If you're not too clued up on your scales (I'm not!) a good idea is on your MIDI keyboard, transpose up or a down a couple of semitones. You can still play in C Major/A Minor on your keyboard but it will actually be transmitted to your computer in a different key. This will help keep your music varied because otherwise they might all sound the same after a while.

And don't forget D Minor is the saddest of all keys!
Arlyd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
XMtS
Regular Freak
XMtS has a spectacular aura aboutXMtS has a spectacular aura about
California
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post
this is like a writer wondering if he uses the letter 'T' too much..
It's actually more like a writer always writing in the same tense. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
XMtS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

On the bright side you will have a really easy time sampling stuff from yourself and mix and match stuff very easily.

(btw I make most stuff in Amin aswell, its just a hassle learning other scales, sticking to white keys is so easy)
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
hotwatermusic
Master of the LFO
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

Move the chords and melody up and down the daw's piano roll to check the difference, Easy like that. You can also check different modes just by moving/altering chords. Key in the same mode is just a tonal difference like playing different notes, but modes make huge difference.

Listen how this song totally changed once the scale mode was changed :

Last edited by hotwatermusic; 03-03-2013 at 03:44 AM..
hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #17
enp4ssant
Granular Poster
enp4ssant will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Not much of a difference. I suspect that when you listen to a piece in one key and then in another, the main reason they sound 'different' in terms of tone quality is that you're subconsciously thinking about the second melody in terms of the first. The 'tone quality difference' is exactly the same sort of brain-trick that causes a C played immediately after an E to sound major and a C played immediately after an Eb to sound minor.

Now of course the key you compose in is fairly important; most analog instruments refuse to play higher or lower than a certain pitch, while most digital instruments sound crap when played outside their register. I'd suggest composing the tune in A minor or C major, then transposing it to whichever register fits the instruments best.
enp4ssant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMtS View Post
It's actually more like a writer always writing in the same tense. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I think it's more like a writer who gets stuck up on character types or themes. Which is every writer. Just like most musicians get caught up in certain creative choices.

Just try different keys, man. Not saying the OP, but some people get so afraid they are doing something wrong if the don't follow their carefully crafted paint by numbers routine to create a track. I fight against this constantly. Just try different stuff, always be learning and when you learn something play around with it and try breaking the rules you just learned about...and when you get too used to breaking the rules, start following them again.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

Highlight all your notes, now drag them one whole tone up. NOW ALL YOUR TRACK IS IN B MINOR!

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #20
Tokem
Regular Freak
Tokem is currently spamming hard
Rouen
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippshoe View Post
Highlight all your notes, now drag them one whole tone up. NOW ALL YOUR TRACK IS IN B MINOR!
Most of my tracks are made like that. I just change the note and then close the project for a few hours, then come back and listen to it to see if it feels "weird" if not I keep it that way.

Advertisements

Tokem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote