F Minor H
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
gabewatch
Granular Poster
gabewatch is currently spamming hard
Montreal
MC Status: 10
F Minor H

Hey IDM people, I made this track a while ago and forgot about it, started listening to it and liked it again, but it probably needs some work. Going back to work on a semi finished track is where I tend to really struggle in terms of making any progress so if you have a minute to take a listen and give me some feedback that would be much appreciated. Its a house track of some sort btw, pretty chill I think.

Advertisements

------------------
gabewatch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: STS9
Rate this track - F Minor H.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Lucider
Minor Glitch
Lucider will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: F Minor H

Hey, that's Trance! Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes! At 1:30 it kills me that the hi-hat is not on every upbeat, I just want it so bad.

Very uplifting and pleasant. Drums and percussion are very tasty. You should consider adding a melodic loopy kinda synth thingy. Just to keep things moving along.

It needs to be mastered to get the levels up to standard digital release levels.
Lucider is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
gabewatch
Granular Poster
gabewatch is currently spamming hard
Montreal
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucider View Post
Hey, that's Trance! Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes! At 1:30 it kills me that the hi-hat is not on every upbeat, I just want it so bad.

Very uplifting and pleasant. Drums and percussion are very tasty. You should consider adding a melodic loopy kinda synth thingy. Just to keep things moving along.

It needs to be mastered to get the levels up to standard digital release levels.

Hey man thanks for the comments, good call on hi hat I think. Also what is it that makes a song like this trance, out of curiousity?

------------------
gabewatch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Lucider
Minor Glitch
Lucider will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Well, I don't like Trance, so for me I can identify when I don't like it personally, lol.

In general, it's the way the synthesizers are used. House is descended from funk and disco so it may have jazzier elements (one could hope...), trance typically has that more uplifting "ravey" sorta sound. As soon as you are arpeggiating chords with sawtooth waves it's a slippery slope to trance land.

The thing that makes your track "Housey Trance" is the fact that it's a few clicks slower than most Trance. If you put a bangin donk on this track you could call it "bouncy trance" or just...trance.

Put a donk on it!
Lucider is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
Mobilio
Soundscaper
Mobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 3997473

I always felt "House" was a broad description (it's also a TV show)...sometimes it is hard to put music into a category and music is just music. Anyways, I don't hear arpeggios but I think Lucider is right that is sounds a bit like Trance because of the chord progression and voicing (Fm DbM AbM EbM). I like the synth sounds for the chords. However, I agree with Lucider that it needs a melody. There is this synth that comes in on the downbeat that seems a quartertone flat (pitch wise). There is this string section that has a nice feel but starting at 2:33, they are playing different notes outside of the chords. But then you have this side-chained noise kicking in at 2:43 and that sounds awesome! I like that part.

Advertisements

Mobilio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote