New VS Used Gear - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #41
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910
Re: New VS Used Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Good to hear man. eBay window shopping can be dangerous for your checking account, but enjoy : )
Yeah it totally can i hear you man.. Thankfully it didn't break mine since it was stuff i was planning on getting and had money set as-sided and i got some good deals and even got 2 things as gifts which helped even more.. Gotta love people who get you audio gear lol and people who get you anything at all

Advertisements

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #42
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565080
Thanked 7,483 Times in 5,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass&moddedFreq View Post
Yeah it totally can i hear you man.. Thankfully it didn't break mine since it was stuff i was planning on getting and had money set as-sided and i got some good deals and even got 2 things as gifts which helped even more.. Gotta love people who get you audio gear lol and people who get you anything at all
What MIDI controllers did you get?
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #43
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York

Quote:
What MIDI controllers did you get?
I got a M-Audio axiom 25 for i believe like $60 after shipping (slightly used apparently 3-4 months of use the owner said and was in a stationary in home studio, came with original box in pretty much mint condition i think 1 scratch on the whole thing.

I also just got a deal on an Kong Nano Key to have for GF's house or friends house (pretty much leave in backpack) which is on its way to my house Brand New for $31 shipped to my house

I think these were good deals at least because i wasn't something with semi-weighted keys at least (since my old one was no weighted) and something with a few pads if possible and the Axiom 25 fit the bill and is a good size for the space I have...

I've wanted a tiny midi controller to have for traveling or hanging out away form my house just in case i fee like playing around, which 50% of the time i usually am at a friends house lol... So i waited a little while and during the holiday got a pretty good deal on a brand new one on ebay for that price which is like almost half of retail price which I am happy with

------------------
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #44
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565080
Thanked 7,483 Times in 5,283 Posts

yea, good deals on MIDI controllers come up quite often. I got my Maschine MK1 (open box return, so like new) for about half the cost of a new one a couple months after the the MKII came out. I cant even imagine making music with out it now.

I had an Akai LPD8 for a while which was quite nice. A lot of those mini controllers are a good solution for tight studio spaces.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #45
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Quote:
yea, good deals on MIDI controllers come up quite often. I got my Maschine MK1 (open box return, so like new) for about half the cost of a new one a couple months after the the MKII came out. I cant even imagine making music with out it now.

I had an Akai LPD8 for a while which was quite nice. A lot of those mini controllers are a good solution for tight studio spaces.
Maschines look so nice just idnt have the $$ for one... i was looking at a LPD8 as well but decided to go with a controller that had keys and pads for at home.... who knows about the future though lol

------------------
Old 15-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #46
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Okay, I may be buying an audio-interface second hand (motu 828 mk3 hybrid). This would be without any buyer protection: I go up to them, check device, give money, get device.
Any tips on checking the audio-interface before buying? Like should I test all the jacks one by one with some music or is there a better way?

I have bought some used pedals before but those were cheaper and sturdier. Just want to make sure everything goes well because it's quite some money and mostly because the audio-interface will be a very important part of my setup.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #47
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

a lot of classic synths are so old and unsupported that i'd say dont buy them used since they could die easily, nevertheless, analogs might be easier to fix and customize than digitals.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #48
RaymondLeggs
Analog Lurker
RaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really nice
MC Status: 410

No emulator can bet the original, Plus a lot of analogue gear has a certain sound you cannot get with digital. You cannot fully replicate the warmth and grittiness of the real thing.

Its all about condition though. If it sounds like its dying or it looks beat up dont buy it. Learned my lesson several times.
RaymondLeggs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #49
djanvier
Minor Glitch
djanvier is a jewel in the roughdjanvier is a jewel in the roughdjanvier is a jewel in the rough
Montreal
MC Status: 260

novation midi controleur use is never expensive and is the better if you want you breaking brain with assignation

------------------
Dany Janvier aka BIOBAZAR
Producer, Label Manager, dj
https://biobazar.bandcamp.com/
djanvier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Prodigy
Old 04-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #50
djanvier
Minor Glitch
djanvier is a jewel in the roughdjanvier is a jewel in the roughdjanvier is a jewel in the rough
Montreal
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondLeggs View Post
No emulator can bet the original, Plus a lot of analogue gear has a certain sound you cannot get with digital. You cannot fully replicate the warmth and grittiness of the real thing.

Its all about condition though. If it sounds like its dying or it looks beat up dont buy it. Learned my lesson several times.
sure i love the real Gear too
BUT
with the VST or AU you can explore new sound and ambience for nothing money or less money than lot of real synth or beat box

the best WAY is a Hydrib RECIPE of both world, Real, dirty, Vintage and Hard"ware" + Soft"ware", techno and clean = happiness

------------------
Dany Janvier aka BIOBAZAR
Producer, Label Manager, dj
https://biobazar.bandcamp.com/
djanvier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #51
eyeprod
Regular Freak
eyeprod has a spectacular aura abouteyeprod has a spectacular aura about
Eureka, CA
MC Status: 160

I use a mix of new and used gear, but it's mainly used gear that I buy because I like deals. I also lean towards sleeper gear rather than the stuff that is overpriced and popular, but of course there are exceptions. I've owned several synths that I sold, but are now worth quite a bit, like a juno 60, and moog liberation ( a white one). I wouldn't consider paying what they go for nowadays. So I get cheaper alternatives like the JX3P that I recently picked up. The other thing I like about old gear is that it's usually something that only does one or two things well, not like these "everything in one box" units they try to make since digital became popular.

The new stuff I buy is the stuff that makes sense, like a modern sampler. Some technology definite improves, so it can be wise to take advantage of it.
eyeprod is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #52
Arkaroth
Granular Poster
Arkaroth will become famous soon enoughArkaroth will become famous soon enough
Suffolk
MC Status: 110

I am a complete sucker for scanning ebay etc and even local stores for second hand things. You never know what gems come up for a bargain and as long as you do a little research into the buyer most the time there are no issues.

Hell even my gaming PC is a second hand power supply and second hand Nvidia 780 and works a dream.

There are certain things I will always get new though, usually if it is something I am really excited about. I don't want any grubby taint from previous users
Arkaroth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #53
Ekoli
Minor Glitch
Ekoli will become famous soon enoughEkoli will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I recommend getting cheap used gear from a reliable source until you are able to master and use it to its full potential because I know a lot of people who have all the newest gear, buts don't know what the hell they're doing.
Ekoli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ekoli
sefrcoko (08-08-2017)
Old 30-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #54
thealfa
Learning The Ropes
thealfa will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I would start off with used gear. If I could look back that's what I would have done because you can use and abuse it without feeling guilty you might damage your precious. LOL. 99% of my gear were bought new and I wasn't able to use it to its full potential because of the reason I just said. Or get some free music software.
thealfa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #55
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

I snagged a 61 key Maudio midi controller for like $70 at a used music store. I was pretty stoked. Used gear rocks if it works. Just gotta test em out.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #56
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Every computer i've ever owned has been used except for one of them. Used computers save a lot of money that can be used instead of VSTi's. But you have to know how to configure and sometimes repair used computers to get them to work.

But once I got a Korg DW-8000 for 50 bucks because it's output was broken. So I bought it and opened it up and bypassed the output circuit and it worked perfectly. Sadly, it's power supply died a few months later and I wasn't able to get a good replacement then because it was such old gear.

But one fun thing was that before it died I spliced a DJ fader into the pitch bend circuit and got the whole synth shifted down an extra octave for more bass. That was really nice. They designed the synth an octave too high anyways.

I used to consistently buy used gear from pawn shops and trade the gear in for different used gear, but I quit doing that years ago. But it was a good learning experience. Back then it was cheaper than using a computer. But most of the gear I'd like to use these days is way too old to deal with (repairs, spare parts).

Last edited by Nystagmus; 26-09-2015 at 10:40 PM..

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 03:16 AM   #57
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

New gear is awesome no doubt, But I myself am totally fine with some dents,scratches, and/or missing knobs/sliders as long as the function of the equipment itself isn't compromised. I probably sound like an absolute skin flim but if I've the opportunity to obtain a piece of used gear that works just as well as it did when the new gear smell permeated a studio, But at a fraction of the cost? Fuck yes, I will gladly adopt it and use it. Though, This is not to say that I cannot wrap my brain around the how and why someone would by new equipment because, well, ya know.. Get what you can with affordability in mind, But use common sense, If said $45 synth is literally but a shell of it's former self, Yeeeahh, You might want to put a little back every paycheck and just get it new.

I suppose the exception to this would be the rarity of the equipment and If you've the material and means to repair/restore it.
(I would prefer to buy MIDI controllers new if at all possible)

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #58
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534501

I packed in smoking many years ago, so my only issue with used gear is if it smells of stale tobacco.

I got a yamaha mixer for very cheap off a car-boot sale, it stunk of cigarettes.
I removed all the knobs and steeped them in bleach,
removed all the PCB's and cleaned them with pure alcohol,
put the case in a sink of hot water and scrubbed it with soap & scrubbing brush.
Dried it out put it together sprayed it with fabreze and it still stunk of cigarettes.

Somebody told me to put it in a sealed container with an open jar of coffee, apparently the coffee gets rid of the smell.
So i did this and after two months i removed the mixer from the container and it smelt of coffee & cigarettes lol

After that i just left the mixer in the garage and after a year the smell eventually went, now its in my studio odour free.

Last edited by cane creek; 28-10-2016 at 12:08 PM..

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #59
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478858
Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,054 Posts

Now that was a long term investment.

I was lucky and I never got a cigarette smelling used item, actually, apart from a Blofeld dying on me about 4/5 days after I received it, I never had any problems with 2nd hand gear...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #60
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Now that was a long term investment.

I was lucky and I never got a cigarette smelling used item, actually, apart from a Blofeld dying on me about 4/5 days after I received it, I never had any problems with 2nd hand gear...
When i chatted to the girl that sold me the mixer at the car booty she said it belonged to her Nana & Grandad who used to Gig regular in pubs, so i can imagine it had a smokey life. i think i payed 20.

I too never had trouble with secondhand gear working.

Advertisements

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote