First synth- what should I get??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 22-05-2017, 01:42 AM   #21
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17810
Re: First synth- what should I get???

Majority of Moogs and Nords are going to be outside of your price range (with the exception of Mother 32, maybe Slim Phatty, or Nord Micro).

So we have the budget and the fact you want something physical. Do you care if it's analog or digital? Monophonic or polyphonic? With keyboard or rack version? Do you want lots of knobs and sliders or are you ok with menu diving? Are you looking for a particular sound or style? Or are you trying to learn synthesis more in-depth, but with something physical you can touch?

Under 500, your options are: Microbrute, Minibrute, Monologue, Minilogue, MS-20 mini, Microkorg, Bass Staion II, Mininova, JD-Xi, Mopho keys, Micron, Ion, and if you are open to racks (and used), then also Virus A/B, MS2000R, Blofeld, Mopho, Mother 32. That's all I can think of off the top of my head and that should be easily obtainable new or used. Though I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting or are not aware of. And also ignoring all those digital synths from the 80s and 90s that would fit your budget, like DX7, D-10, JV-80, SQ2, etc, since I highly doubt you'd be interested in any of that.

Advertisements

iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 01:48 AM   #22
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

There are quite a few nice optioins around 500 dollars. The new Novation Mono Station (yet to be released) might be a good option in that the sequencer would allow you to think about things in a very different way.

I really think a sequencer based instrument would probably be the most fascinating for you. Something that lets you record knob movements or set values besides pitch per step. And honestly, a monosynth along these lines might really help you focus on evolving texture/timbre versus evolving pitch as a way to make music.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Muse-ic (23-05-2017)
Old 22-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9310

New: The MS 20 mini. Very good for learning the basics of sutractive synthesis. 2 ocillators, high and low pass resonant filters. no menu diving at all. The patch bay opens up all kinds of fun, like putting into drone mode and having fun with the filters and ocillators. Remember though it's a mono, has midi sized keys (though much nicer than micro keys) and no patch memory (I save mine on my computer) but no instant recall.
Used: MS 2000. Has polyphony, but only 4 voice. Minimal menu diving. Very hands on. Has modulation sequencers and external in, plus vocoder. Built like a tank.
Used: Roland JP 8000. 8 voice polyphony, supersaw, hands on and simple to manipulate. minimal menus. Good player controls.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
Muse-ic (23-05-2017)
Old 22-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #24
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318589
Thanked 1,009 Times in 796 Posts

I agree with Dr. Sleaze the MS-20 is a fantastic synth to work with especially if you have considered a modular setup. Also, I would say right now the Moog Mother32 is by far the best for its price, its semi modular so even if you decide you dont want to do a modular set up you can still use the mother32 as a stand alone synth.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Muse-ic (23-05-2017)
Old 23-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #25
dada_davros
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 12860

I find it difficult to think of a synth I would buy ahead of an MS-20 if I could only buy 1 ever, but I would consider the NI Komplete considering your set up

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to dada_davros
Muse-ic (23-05-2017)
Old 23-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #26
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Owning an MS-20 Mini...I could very much suggest it...for me, familiar with subtractive synths, but not modular patch bays it has been a real pleasure. Really. Sounds just great. Aggresive, soft and heavy, dirty, noisy. A really nice range of timbre.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #27
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17810

Word. Ms-20 is awesome and would be my choice as well. If you are patient and a lowballer, you can score one for as low as $300. Otherwise, in 350-380 range, you can pick one up any day on ebay or reverb. If you have a chance to get the white one, do it. I was hesitant at first, thinking they are awesome looking one day and fucking ugly the next. Finally decided to grab one and it's a sexxxxy thing. Definitely looks much better in person than in pictures.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #28
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269481558
Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,091 Posts

I still stand by the groovebox approach...

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:20 PM   #29
Essio
Minor Glitch
Essio is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 26

it depends on ur budget but I dont think u could go wrong with a minilogue...

its a poly and since u play keys i think it will be a perfect match

Advertisements

------------------
Essio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote