Fedde Le Grand Bass
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 26-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
simcitizzon
Learning The Ropes
simcitizzon is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Fedde Le Grand Bass

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site, so please be kind I've been dabbling with synthesis for a few months I'd say and I feel like a bus might hit me tomorrow and I want to know everything today I'm using Massive at the moment to learn, along with a crap load of other vsts. Now with that said, I have been sitting here trying to get close to the electro bass that Fedde Le Grand has produced in his new track for the past 3 days. I have a fair grasp of Massive and synthesis, but I just can't seem to get the right oscillator shapes or other techniques to get to it. It sounds fairly simple. Is it the synth? I noticed in their 'production' video they have a Virus sitting next to them... I have been mostly in to post dubstep and recently decided to give electro house a try.

Since I am coming in as a newby here and asking right away, I do have a technique to get a sound that Untold has made in his track Gonna Work Out Fine if anyone is interested. It's the big booms that are covered in the track.

Advertisements

simcitizzon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
simcitizzon
Learning The Ropes
simcitizzon is currently spamming hard
Re: Fedde Le Grand Bass

The bass comes in at 45 seconds in this video:

Thanks! and please help!
simcitizzon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Try a simple saw (any synth) with moderate portamento/glide and some highpass (cutoff set pretty low)...and work from there.

Add some pitch (drop) envelope to add some spice. Add overdrive to taste.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939

A virus is just a virtual analog wavetable synth. You should've be able to come pretty close with massive. Like evelon says, it sounds like a plain saw, but with some extreme short and small room reverb on it, to give that metallic feeling. Hope it helps...
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
breaktwister
Granular Poster
breaktwister is a name known to allbreaktwister is a name known to allbreaktwister is a name known to allbreaktwister is a name known to allbreaktwister is a name known to allbreaktwister is a name known to all
MC Status: 585

Anyone know where i can see the Fedde le Grande 'production' video the OP refers to?
breaktwister is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
mbazeepaymon
Regular Freak
mbazeepaymon is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktwister View Post
Anyone know where i can see the Fedde le Grande 'production' video the OP refers to?
I believe i know which video the OP is referring to.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
mbazeepaymon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
Owen De-Vice
Ghostly
Owen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MC
West Midlands
MC Status: 17132199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Try a simple saw (any synth) with moderate portamento/glide and some highpass (cutoff set pretty low)...and work from there.

Add some pitch (drop) envelope to add some spice. Add overdrive to taste.
This is kinda of a side question, how much modulation depth should i have on any pitch drop for it not to interfere with the melody too much, a semitone? half of one? I am never sure - i can never seem to get it right ?
Owen De-Vice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
jdoost123
Analog Lurker
jdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MC
MC Status: 135045

Sounds like a widened saw with portamento sliding, also some light distortion i'd say from ohmnicide.

Advertisements

jdoost123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote