Is Maschine worth getting if I'm on a pretty tight budget?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310
Is Maschine worth getting if I'm on a pretty tight budget?

Pretty much all in the title, i have a pretty small budget but from what i can see it looks to be a pretty cool piece. Im only producing for the forseeable future, so it wont be used for djing or anything, id just like a piece of hardware to help me build grooves and things more efficiently. Is it worth it?

Advertisements

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060
Re: Is Maschine worth getting if im on a pretty tight budget?

yeah.

aside from the modular, my maschine is the piece of gear i use the most.
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283334
Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,760 Posts

its facking amazing mate

what music you make and where you from?

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Maschine is the last piece of gear I would sell from my setup.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of

great, i dont think i'll be getting it until christmas or slightly before but i wanted to know now so i could save and be sure i would get it.
Quote:
what music you make and where you from?
i make electronic music, house i suppose. belfast, n.i

------------------
Latest Track:
Thanks to imma3k
FunkMasterBrown (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

YES! Absolutely worth it. The program itself is awesome, and you have enough effects and such included that you can do almost anything you want. Not to mention the inclusion of Guitar Rig and Massive. Personally I like to write songs really fast, and maschine lets me really just get to it and put down all the parts I need in a really short period of time. I love the use of patterns/scenes, makes so much more sense to me than starting at little boxes in Logic.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 11210

i got my maschine (the mikro one) a few weeks ago and i love it. i love how it allows me to be part of my music, i feel like im actually making something and not just punching in midi events on a computer. plus it allows me to just sit down and fool around improvising, i dont have to have an image of what i want and i can just sit and play. the samples and instruments it comes with are great too, really gives you a full set of tools to make music with. i havent even dived into the sampling yet, but i hear its fantastic. honestly you will be beyond satisfied with it, no matter if you get the mikro or not. i personally dont mind not having the extra screen and knobs, if i couldve afforded the big one i wouldve gotten it, but im perfectly content without them.

get it in white too, it looks SWEET!

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455

Ok, this seems to be a pretty common theme lately. I just recently posted in a thread called "someone convince me to get a Maschine", so I'll just copy and paste directly from there:

Only a month in and it is without a doubt the best thing ever to happen to my workflow and productions. The first riff I threw together sounded far better than anything else I had ever made. The reasons are many, first off you really do get into a work FLOW. You learn to move around it very quickly. This means less time being distracted and more time making music. Secondly your music will sound more natural and energetic because it flows out of you naturally. Rather than clicking in sounds you are performing them and the difference is very noticeable. The swing, the velocities. You can cycle through sounds and edit or tune samples so quickly that you stay in the zone.

it really is pocket change for what its worth, especially second hand which are going for less than $300. You just get them to transfer the serials or they can sign in an let you change the sign in info.

Just get it. Thank us later
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
Lyncaster
Master of the LFO
Lyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MC
West Side Nigga
MC Status: 3794842

I only paid 200 for a used Mikro. Completly changed my workflow. Best thing ever. here is some music I made with the sampling ideas, and in literally 15 minutes [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Llamas are getting on my tits
:banalama:

Lyncaster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Lyncaster
Master of the LFO
Lyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MC
West Side Nigga

Also used Stock sounds. The samples u get are awesome. I havent even dug into kontack tey
:O
just get it. If youre afraid of the price get a used Mikro.

------------------

Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
Lyncaster
Master of the LFO
West Side Nigga

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Here is a much better examplpe xD

------------------

Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
imma3k
Soundscaper

im getting it, from what i can see here there is no reason not to since there is so much praise on it. i mentioned price because i didnt want to get it to find out that i and a lot of others are having 'x' problem(s). im not afraid to spend the money on anything as long as i know its going to be pretty reliable. you all have me excited now, i dont really wanna wait haha. thanks for all the feedback, i'll probably post in here when i get it and let you know what i think.

------------------
Latest Track:
Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

If I had the money I would probably buy it as well. Since I don't have the money at the moment I now settle for the iOS version which is awesome nevertheless (considering the lack of hardware):

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 11210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritos View Post
If I had the money I would probably buy it as well. Since I don't have the money at the moment I now settle for the iOS version which is awesome nevertheless (considering the lack of hardware):

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
wow, i never knew it was actually that good! i didnt think it could actually do all of that!

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
aleksi
Learning The Ropes
aleksi is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

i guess i may the only one, but i don't consider it essential at all -- but it all depends on your workflow, and how spontaneous vs 'sample-precision-ninja' you are. i for one would invest into monitoring / acoustics anytime over something like maschine. if you have extra money and rest of your setup in a good shape though, i'd say go for it!
aleksi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #16
magavan
Soundwave Mangler
magavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MC
MC Status: 125540

You can't go wrong with Maschine. It's super versatile even as a MIDI controller and it's practically a standard. It's like the Tech 1200 of production these days.
magavan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649318
Thanked 5,001 Times in 3,213 Posts

Edit: what I had here before sounded like I was being an asshole. That wasn't my intention.

Carry on.

Last edited by RFJ; 16-09-2013 at 05:36 AM..

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
DCA
Sample Destroyer
DCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

i would save your money. it wont add to your production ability IMO

it looks cool and its fun to program beats and such, but in terms of actually making tunes, save your $ and get all the essentials you need like vst instruments and effects, some mastering software (a good mastering eq/compression/limiting suite)

------------------
Support from iknodubstep, ThatBassNation
Squinty Bass Records
DCA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCA View Post
i would save your money. it wont add to your production ability IMO

it looks cool and its fun to program beats and such, but in terms of actually making tunes, save your $ and get all the essentials you need like vst instruments and effects, some mastering software (a good mastering eq/compression/limiting suite)
Just out of curiosity how much time have you spent with Maschine? I know not everyone is going to have an epiphany when they get into using it, but I feel like Maschine is one of the least gimmicky/hyped products that has come out recently.

Most DAWs EQ, filter, compressor, limiter will sort a beginning. I really feel like the advantages of high end mixing/mastering VSTs are going to be lost on a beginner. Where as Maschine will have them diving into something that is fun--which is important for beginners, that making music be fun.

Sorry. I'm always going to jump in and defend Maschine. Whether you make 4x4, standard breakbeat music, wonky, broken beat, breakcore Maschine is a beast for making beats.

: )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
g0lem (16-09-2013)
Old 16-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Just out of curiosity how much time have you spent with Maschine? I know not everyone is going to have an epiphany when they get into using it, but I feel like Maschine is one of the least gimmicky/hyped products that has come out recently.

Most DAWs EQ, filter, compressor, limiter will sort a beginning. I really feel like the advantages of high end mixing/mastering VSTs are going to be lost on a beginner. Where as Maschine will have them diving into something that is fun--which is important for beginners, that making music be fun.

Sorry. I'm always going to jump in and defend Maschine. Whether you make 4x4, standard breakbeat music, wonky, broken beat, breakcore Maschine is a beast for making beats.

: )
even if you're an ass like me who sabotages everything coming out of my DAW that even approaches musicality, maschine is quite possibly one of the best, if not the best piece of sequencing software and hardware i've ever used.

i use it to drive a mopho, a modular, vsts, everything. it is seriously an amazing piece.

nothing in ableton (without push) comes close to it.

Advertisements

g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote