Best way to record a MicroKorg? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 13-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: Best way to record a MicroKorg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardruna View Post
Yeah, but like RFJ just said, I'm not doing this live and don't necessarily mind swapping out the synths.
Rather spend the extra $50 or whatever it is for additional inputs. Imo it kills workflow plugging things in/out, switching your monitors off every time you plug/unplug something rather than just having everything on hand when you want it.

I'm sitting with a Scarlett 8i6 at the moment & I also need more inputs, so I'm going to get a decent 4-6 channel mixer: Synths/Instruments -> Mixer -> Audio Interface -> PC, rather than buy a new interface.

Advertisements

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
relic (13-08-2013)
Old 13-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649518
Thanked 5,005 Times in 3,215 Posts

So the jump from a 2i4 to an 8i6 is only $50?

If that's the case then, yeah, get the 8i6.

I seem to remember them being considerably more, my 2i4 was only $95.

Edit: 2i4 works fine for me because I was unburdened by hardware a while back. :p

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
So the jump from a 2i4 to an 8i6 is only $50?
Oh - I was just thumbsucking . Still though - have shit permanently plugged in and enjoy your gear rather than get frustrated by little things which makes you use your gear less in the long run.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Wardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the rough
Massachusetts
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
The 3.5mm is like a headphone jack. You're talking about 1/4". You can also buy adapters from one to another, either way for pretty cheap.

The cables at the top. You can also buy cables that go from the top to the bottom, if your AI needs that because you have 1/4"'s going from the back of your AI into monitors. More something to be aware of if you buy monitors or how you wire the back side, once you get stuffs. Err actually, my bad....I have a synth that only takes the AV like ends, that's not the case with the MK.
In the meantime before I get an audio interface, I'm pretty sure it's possible to use these kind of 1/4 cables but then plugin the other side to the mic/aux port on my computer and record/playthrough into FL Studio, right?

------------------
Wardruna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Wardruna
Aphexbeats (13-08-2013)
Old 13-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3110

I have a microkorg, here's what I do: I have an Akai EIE 16 bit interface. I have the audio in plugged into the audio out into the microkorg, and the audio out plugged into the audio in the interface. I have the midi in plugged into the midi out of the interface, and the midi out plugged into the midi in of the korg. I recommend purchasing a midi keyboard, because Microkorg's have midi keyboard problems with interfaces - you can look this up, it happened to me and still doesn't work as a midi keyboard. Get all the settings configured in Fl studio and then you can arm an audio track with a midi track and record that track to audio from the midi. Keep in mind that the micro korg is monotimbral - this means you can only use one patch at a time and record it - you will need to layer sounds, which becomes tediously worth it. There are a lot of things you can do with this virtual analog synth and I love it - haven't done too much with it so far, but just started delving into it.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Front line assembly - Exo
Old 13-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #26
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin

Quote:
In the meantime before I get an audio interface, I'm pretty sure it's possible to use these kind of 1/4 cables but then plugin the other side to the mic/aux port on my computer and record/playthrough into FL Studio, right?
There is a video here :
. Keep in mind if you plug into your jack into your computer, you will get a very quiet signal - there isn't a preamp on your computer. Preamps are the reason why you have audio interfaces - they amp the signal up from your synth to your computer.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 13-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Wardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the roughWardruna is a jewel in the rough
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexbeats View Post
There is a video here : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Keep in mind if you plug into your jack into your computer, you will get a very quiet signal - there isn't a preamp on your computer. Preamps are the reason why you have audio interfaces - they amp the signal up from your synth to your computer.
Right, I just typically tend to normalize the WAV recording and then use some compression to make it louder. But thanks for the suggestions and help, much appreciated (as with everyone else here! Makes me wonder why I don't use this site more often, hah).

------------------
Old 14-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #28
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Massachusetts

Going to be redundant here, but just looking for some clarification. Will one of
these cables [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
do the job? There's also
this one [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is cheaper, and I assume does the same thing? Being extra careful because apparently, spending more than five dollars would be a catastrophe, hah.

------------------
Old 14-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #29
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649518
Thanked 5,005 Times in 3,215 Posts

The only difference in those is the length, and yes, they should work.

However, I've never personally recorded a synth using line in on my PC via my PC in-built soundcard.

Others have, just not me.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #30
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The only difference in those is the length, and yes, they should work.

However, I've never personally recorded a synth using line in on my PC via my PC in-built soundcard.

Others have, just not me.
I actually used to do it on my Kaossilator into Audacity. Like previously mentioned, the only real issue is having to deal with lower volume and obviously the sound quality isn't as good.

#SoooooooooIndie.

------------------
Old 15-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #31
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

Quote:
Going to be redundant here, but just looking for some clarification. Will one of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
do the job? There's also [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is cheaper, and I assume does the same thing? Being extra careful because apparently, spending more than five dollars would be a catastrophe, hah.
Yes those cables work! I have them and they are nice.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 16-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #32
Wardruna
Analog Lurker
Massachusetts

Just a question on a slightly related note, for anybody who has ever owned or used a MicroKorg:

Let's say I just finished editing one of the parameters and now want to adjust the cutoff. How do I stop the knobs from affecting the parameters and just return to their normal function?

------------------
Old 16-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #33
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

Quote:
Just a question on a slightly related note, for anybody who has ever owned or used a MicroKorg:

Let's say I just finished editing one of the parameters and now want to adjust the cutoff. How do I stop the knobs from affecting the parameters and just return to their normal function?
you'll have to switch the knobs from the settings on the korg - Amp, fx, etc.. You'll just put it back to whatever function is the normal one and then it should just affect the cutoff.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 16-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #34
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Quote:

You need to select the filter with the Edit Select 1 knob, then cutoff should be the "2/resonance" knob.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #35
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Mr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud of
Bristol
MC Status: 1010

Hi guys,

Slight thread jacking, but it's related

I recently got a Mininova (running in through my Audio 6 soundcard) and it's seem like a pretty low input signal in Ableton.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I have the volume output on the synth at max.

cheers
Mr. 50 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #36
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 50 View Post
Hi guys,

Slight thread jacking, but it's related

I recently got a Mininova (running in through my Audio 6 soundcard) and it's seem like a pretty low input signal in Ableton.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I have the volume output on the synth at max.

cheers
The mixer software on the Audio6????

You have to raise the input level on the soundcard mixer as well. I assume the outputs from the synth are ok to a mixer or amp??? You shouldn't max devices for volume, gain stage correctly for best results (ie turn the mixer up and the synth down)

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexbeats View Post
There is a video here : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Not true - Preamps are for boosting low level signals from instruments and microphones that aren't powered themselves (guitars etc) - a line-level signal from a synth will not need amplification from a preamp.

Also every single on board soundcard I have seen does have a preamp (which is why you can plug in mics for webcams and skype etc) but its called 'mic boost' or something like that. You can easily get huge distortion by ticking that box and plugging in a line-level signal.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #38
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

I've used pre-amps to overdrive synths before, didn't sound bad to me. Not nay-saying, just saying : )

But GB is correct, you should be able to get plenty of gain between the synth itself and a line level input on your interface.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Mr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud of
Bristol
MC Status: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Bastard View Post
The mixer software on the Audio6????

You have to raise the input level on the soundcard mixer as well. I assume the outputs from the synth are ok to a mixer or amp??? You shouldn't max devices for volume, gain stage correctly for best results (ie turn the mixer up and the synth down)
Ahhhh, I was being thick - the soundcard is new and taking a quick look at the front panel, I think I need to flip a switch and then the input volume control is switched from the front mic inout to the audio ins at the back (it was turned down low).

Will test when I get home! cheers dude

Advertisements

Mr. 50 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote