Midi Keyboards
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 14-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Angels of Debauchery
Soundwave Mangler
Angels of Debauchery is currently spamming hard
Austin
MC Status: 10
Midi Keyboards

So I'm going to be buying my first midi keyboard soon and I am thinking of getting an M-Audio Oxygen 61 but am curious and what the great knowledgeable community as to say. My max budget for a keyboard is $300 at the max. Anybody have objections to the keyboard I've been looking at? Someone know a better one for my buck?

Thank you for taking your time to read my post.

Advertisements

Angels of Debauchery is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
RUncELL
Soundscaper
RUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond repute
Essex
MC Status: 3410
Re: Midi Keyboards

Hi Angels, I'm new to all this forum chat stuff, but been makin music a while.. Essentially any MIDI keyboard will work as a controller. It just depends what software you're controlling and how many faders, dials and pads you want. The novation stuff is good for reason, cubase.. but will auto map to all other daws as well. You can't go much wrong with the m-audio stuff its good all round.. It'll work on virtually all computers with all major daws..
RUncELL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

I've never really like the look of the Oxygen keyboards. The Axiom looks much better, and has semi-weighted keys if that's something you'd like...it's got pads as well and a much nicer interface. Going for $245 on Amazon. But eh - depends how much control you want from it. Are you after knobs / faders / pads or just the keys?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

I'd personally look for a real synth with midi for that price.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
stevemac
Soundscaper
stevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MC
MC Status: 361840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Acid View Post
I'd personally look for a real synth with midi for that price.
2nd hand Roland Gaia? Played on one earlier in the week and I really liked it.
stevemac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351

I'd look at Akai MPK series or Novation.

------------------

:holadines:
reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
JD1112
Knob Twiddler
JD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to behold
Bristol, TN
MC Status: 660

I got the m audio keystudio from the best buy near my house for like 50 or 60$? Works great. You might be disappointed if you're looking for something with all the bells and whistles though.

------------------

Sometimes, when I get bored, I grab a few beers and surf missed connections on craigslist to see if the waitress at Perkins knows if i'm creeping on her yet.
JD1112 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
2nd hand Roland Gaia? Played on one earlier in the week and I really liked it.
Good recommendation man, very cool easy to use synth to start off with yeah. I owned one for a few months. What I liked about it was there was no menu or LCD screens anywhere and the layout was very nice. Overall I wasn't able to get what I wanted sound wise out of it and wasn't too hot about it's filter. Got my money back for what I paid when I re-sold it. Bought a Korg MS2000 with the money.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Ryan_adams
Regular Freak
Ryan_adams will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

m audio makes some great products for affordable. i payed 150(on amazon) and got a keyboard that has 1o programable knobs and 10 sliders.
Ryan_adams is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Aktix
Granular Poster
Aktix will become famous soon enoughAktix will become famous soon enough
London
MC Status: 110

Get an axiom
Aktix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Goolue
Digital Surfer
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of
Isn't built out of Humus.
MC Status: 1060

I've got the Axiom 25. I'ts keys are semiweighted, its got 8 knobs and 8 pads and the keys' got aftertouch. All M Audio products come with a software called Enigma that lets you change the cc message of etch note. Cheers!

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
i always felt if Thom Yorke was a food item he would be a noodle
Goolue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
AnimalStuff
Minor Glitch
AnimalStuff will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsofDebauch View Post
So I'm going to be buying my first midi keyboard soon and I am thinking of getting an M-Audio Oxygen 61 but am curious and what the great knowledgeable community as to say. My max budget for a keyboard is $300 at the max. Anybody have objections to the keyboard I've been looking at? Someone know a better one for my buck?

Thank you for taking your time to read my post.
Dont get it, i got a oxygen 8 , its not responsive at all
m audio is a cheap brand when it comes to midi products
but all in all they all do the same thing its just like work flow prefrence
AnimalStuff is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts

The axiom pro line is supposed to be decent. I have an ancient m-audio radium 49 which I would not recommend if they still made it. The knobs/sliders send random midi data sometimes that will cause a filter or whatever to move on you without your knowing. It was cheap though.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Marklar
Ghostly
Marklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MC
Arkansas
MC Status: 8217735

I've never liked the keys on the Oxygen myself, they're mushy. If possible, go to a local store and try out different controllers, the important thing with a controller is how the keys feel to you.
Marklar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
Angels of Debauchery
Soundwave Mangler
Angels of Debauchery is currently spamming hard
Austin
MC Status: 10

Wow!!! I did not think I would get this much reception from this thread!! Thank you all for your thought and ideas for my first keyboard. I'm(at the moment) just looking for a keyboard to help make my music because I absolutely HATE making music with a mouse. :killme: By the sound of it the one I was looking at wasn't the best choice so thank you guys for swaying my against that one! It looks like a lot of you are saying Axiom is a good brand to go with so I think I'll look into those now. I'm not too concerned about load of doodads on the keyboard since I'm still new to making music this way but having some would be nice to try out for future time if I ever decide to publicly show my music at any small venues around Austin.

Again, thank you guys so much for all of your input it's really appreciated!
Angels of Debauchery is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Axiom is a model, not a brand, but yes, it is definitely a step up from the the oxygen, I used to have an oxygen 8, it felt like a toy. The Axiom is a decent entry level controller, though people have differing opinions about the keybed, though if I recall correctly, the second generation ones are supposed to have a different build in that regard.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsofDebauch View Post
I'm not too concerned about load of doodads on the keyboard since I'm still new to making music this way but having some would be nice to try out for future time if I ever decide to publicly show my music at any small venues around Austin.!
In most studio shots you'll see a pretty standard midi keyboard, and lots of people, when rattling off their list of gear, will end it with: "...and a shitty midi keyboard" . Personally I'd rather have a pretty plain midi keyboard, then buy additional control surfaces like a Launchpad or pad controllers or knobs and faders. I'm not so keen on everything being tied to one controller - seems a bit less flexible that way. Dunno...the Axiom just seems a little too expensive. A simpler keyboard and a controller would be a better buy, or even a synth as has been previously suggested...you get a midi keyboard and get to learn about synthesis.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
crybo
Minor Glitch
crybo is a jewel in the roughcrybo is a jewel in the roughcrybo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I have novation impulse, the keys are great on it, but it has the worst knobs, pitch wheel and modulation I have ever used. Very cheap and plastic feeling. Which is a shame as I think it looks great, but I can't complain about the keys.
crybo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
futuresoundproj
Radial Developer
futuresoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the rough
NJ
MC Status: 310

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I really can't stress enough how much I use and appreciate the X-station series.

I own the 49-Key version and It really get's used in everything. It is also a decent synthesizer as well as a MIDI controller (with tons of assignable knobs and faders, you know, the fun stuff). If you don't mind the 25-Key model you can usually find them for under 300 bucks, and it'll easily fit into a backpack.

If you really don't need the synthesis aspect, I would go for a M-Audio Keyboard, they feel great and are highly reviewed.

Cheers on your new purchase!

------------------
"Working without respite toward the construction of the perfect pop song for the tribes of the global village"
-Ralf Hütter
futuresoundproj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
DJGarvis
Analog Lurker
DJGarvis will become famous soon enoughDJGarvis will become famous soon enough
Hick Town, WA
MC Status: 110

I just purchased a M-Audio Axiom Pro 49-Key off of ebay. This is my first keyboard so I can't compare it to anything, but I really like it.

Advertisements

DJGarvis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote